14 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
 bohh
(@bohh)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Hey all,

I'd like to try my hand at songwriting and see where it takes me, and there's no better place than here to try it out.

This is the first song I've ever written. I was just noodling on my acoustic and came up with a chord progression. And the basic idea came flowing out. I then reworked the words to make it flow a little better.

The inspiration for this song came from everyone not knowing if they are doing the right thing in life. Are we wasting time? Who knows, but I wanted to pose the question in the song of "What is important in life?" To get people thinking of what they feel is important and realizing that that is what they should be doing. Everyones thoughts on what is important is different so I didn't give an answer to the question in the song.

Well here it is:

TIME IS NOT ON OUR SIDE
© Copyright 2005 Mike West

Strum Pattern: [G]ddu-udu [D]ddu-udu

[G]Time will come
[D]and time will pass
[A]days go by
[D}they went so fast

[G]we will work
[D]and we will play
[A]we will watch time
[D]slip away

[G]we will not
[D]realize
[A]what's important
[D]in our lives

[G]time will come
[D]and years go by
[A]we're no match
[D]for the test of time

[G]so make the
[D]best
[A]of what you've
[D]got

[G]live life
[D]right
[A]give it a
[D]shot

[G]but

[G]please rea-
[D]lize that we
[A]arnnt here
[D]forever

[G]because

[D]time is [A]not on our [G]side
no [D]time is [A]not on our [G]side

ooooooo [G]oooo ooo oo ooooooo [G]oooo ooo oo ooooooo [G]oooo ooo oo [D]oooooo

[G]learn to smile
[D]and not to cry
[A]the small things
[D]are a blink of the eye

[G]time will pass
[D]worry not
[A]life goes on
[D]it will not stop

[G]it is best
[D]not to fight
[A]just do what you
[D]think is right

[G]take what comes
[D]and dont regret
[A]what you did or
[D]didnt get

[G]so make the
[D]best
[A]of what you've
[D]got

[G]live life
[D]right
[A]give it a
[D]shot

[G]but

[G]please rea-
[D]lize that we
[A]arnnt here
[D]forever

[G]because

Guitarjourney.net - Everything I've learned and want to learn, including chord diagrams and other information.

pbee
(@pbee)
Noble Member

Hi bohh,
Well done with your first song :D . I can only agree with the sentiment here, check out this link
http://forums.guitarnoise.com/viewtopic.php?t=15727

My only criticism is that the language you use is a little formal for my taste:
[G]we will work
[D]and we will play
[A]we will watch time
[D]slip away
something like:
And while we work and while we play
We will see time slip away feels better to me.
Or even pose the question:
Will we see time slip away

Other than that well done. I look forward to playing it when I get home.

Cheers
pbee

Check out my Reverbnation page here

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Looks pretty good to me, especially for a first try....it's so nerve-wracking, isn't it, waiting for feed back, alll the time you're thinking, "Heck, I poured my heart and soul into this, PLEEEEEEEEEASE let them like it....."

It reads to me like a rough first draft of what, with a little time and effort, and some spit and polish, could be a very good song.....

It's got a nice flow to it, could do this either as a rocker or a ballad, or anything in-between....nice chord structure, if a little simplistic.....

The main criticism I have is the clashing of tenses.....

[G]Time will come (Future tense)
[D]and time will pass (future again)
[A]days go by (Present)
[D}they went so fast (past)

you're using three different tenses in the same verse, then in the next verse it's all in the future tense, as is most of the rest of the song.....

It's just that first verse, seems to me you've tried so hard to set the scene for the rest of the song, you've lost track of time....

Maybe somethig like this would work.....

"Time will come,
Time will pass,
Days'll go by
Oh so fast......

That way it's all in the same tense.....

It's OK to mix tenses....something's happened, now something else is happening, who know's what'll happen in the future....but mixing 3 tenses into 14 words just seemed a little like over kill....

As always, that's just one man's opinion...you and others may see it differently....just me being pedandantic?

For a first attempt, I'd give it a big thumbs-up.....hey I'm not Sharon Osborne (I know at least a hundred words beginning with F, and I could use ninety-nine of them in this forum without fear of censorship!) - I won't send you home....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

Hi Mike and welcome to the SSG - you picked a great week to start.

Your song is great for being your first one. Don't be afraid to tinker more with it - as Vic put it, "...with a little time and effort..."

One thing that I think will help would be to give your song some personal details or specifics. Good writing and good imagery depend on nailing the right word and you're pretty close.

Another tip - try doing critiques of the other SSG folk's songs for the week. Seeing what you like and don't like about someone else's style often helps you with your own writing.

Looking forward to reading a lot more of your material.

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@karla)
Estimable Member

Very good try for a first song! The subject you write about is so very true.
I've got to agree with Pbee that the lines don't seem natural. But this way it is very easy for me to catch the flow of it, and that's a good thing. I think this one would sound great being sung, even though it seems a bit strange written down this way. Well done!

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

Good job!! First song or not you've done terrificly (is that a word?). I played it last night and I had trouble with the timing. When the song starts it seems like there are more words to fill the measure, but then towards the middle there are fewer and fewer words describing the scene. Doesnt mean its not right, of course (obviously if you've been singing and stumming it then it works), but I couldnt figure it out on that part.

But I love most the words you chose to use. I think the only one I didnt like was the same one that Pbee already pointed out.

Great job, keep em coming
Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

I reckon that the first few songs you write are more concerned with the "how" than the "what", and we see a lot of contributors posting their "first songs" here.

Nice work, bohh - always good to see the chord structure and we get strumming patterns too. This is a good first song.

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

always good to see the chord structure and we get strumming patterns too.

I wanted to second that. It's much appreciated from those that like to read and critique the songs to be able to atleast play it.. or try to in my case. heh

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
 bohh
(@bohh)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Thanks a lot for the support everyone. I'll have to add the suggestions you made. I really like your suggestions Pbee, it really sounds a lot smoother your way. And thank you Vic. I must admit that I didn't even think of the tenses as I was writing, but it's bound to be a problem. Tenses are something my college english teacher use to constantly point out in my work :oops:

Again thanks to everyone who took a look and left a comment. It's very encouraging!

Guitarjourney.net - Everything I've learned and want to learn, including chord diagrams and other information.

ReplyQuote
 Celt
(@celt)
Famed Member

Hi Bohn and welcome to SSG

I like your song Good Job

If it were me I would think hard about Pbee's suggestion:
Or even pose the question:

Will we see time slip away

I think this would work very well

John

My SoundClick Page

Collaborations

" It's easier than waiting around to die" Townes Van Zandt

ReplyQuote
(@barnabus-rox)
Famed Member

Hello and welcome ..........

I congratulate you on using chords that I can play ( laughter ) { I'm a beginner }

Just a couple of words I can't get my head around ( in Australia we would say please explain )

lize and arnnt

sorry me no compute

Here is to you as good as you are
And here is to me as bad as I am
As good as you are and as bad as I am
I'm as good as you are as bad as I am

ReplyQuote
(@manontheside)
Estimable Member

realize and aren't ?

(looks around and hopes he didn't spoil a funny)

"I wish there was an over the counter test for my loneliness"

ReplyQuote
(@barnabus-rox)
Famed Member

ooooooops :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

I have never seen " ARNNT" I know AINT sorry

Realise never seen it spelt LIZE before

I need to get out more ....

Here is to you as good as you are
And here is to me as bad as I am
As good as you are and as bad as I am
I'm as good as you are as bad as I am

ReplyQuote
(@teleplayer324)
Noble Member

I like this alot, other than fixing the tenses as Vic mentioned, it's very playable and the lyrics make you think. Very good work

Immature? Of course I'm immature Einstein, I'm 50 and in a Rock and ROll band.

New Band site http://www.myspace.com/guidedbymonkeys

ReplyQuote