Year 4 Week 1. Too Far Gone Now with mp3 link

8 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@thejackal)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Alright guys,

I have it up on Soundclick. I have mentioned this with a couple of other recordings but I will say it again. I don't have any real recording equipment. I record directly through the built in mic on my laptop so the sound quality is pretty crappy. But, this at least gives you an idea of how the lyrics go with music.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=283413

I was going to submit this last week with and explanation of my writing process on it but ran out of time. Hard to explain the inspiration for this one. Its's a story of a guy's denial of love and a girl's denial of a drug problem. Purely fictional but I'm sure guilty of the denial of feelings part. haha
I will also try and explain the chord progression. I don't have a lot of music smarts so I apologize in advance for any misnamed chords.

These are the chords I use for the verses.

E F#m Abm
e--0----0-----0---
b--0----0-----0---
g--1----2-----4---
d--2----4-----6---
a--2----x-----x---
e--0----x-----x---
The verses are sung over E sliding up to Abm for 3 measures and then on the 4th, do the same but then right near the end drop back to F#m

Too Far Gone
[E] [Abm] [E] [Abm]
I never said that I was lonely
[E] [Abm] [E] [Abm] [F#m]
I'm just alone all the time
[E] [Abm] [E] [Abm]
So why dont you mind your own business
And me I'll worry bout mine

[A]
When you come around it's just to see me fall down and lay the blame on me but babe I know your wrong
You sing the same old song
[A]
You say the problem with me was just so easy to see I never cared about the thing that used to turn you on
And now we're too far gone

No I never said that I was lonely
What made you think that you could own me
Well it was just a matter of time

Before I saw through you and all the things that you do oh babe you killing me you cant even admit when your wrong
You sing the same old song
You say this new thing you found it loves you up and down and now it holds the key to all the things that turn you on
now we're too far gone

[Change here]

[E] [G] [A] [E] x2 Again, appologies for the non musical description here but I pick the low E string then strum E chord. Then pick E - F - G on the low E string then strum G chord. Now pick B then A notes on A string then strum A chord then go back down picking A string, G note on low E string then Strum E. Clear as mud right? I will get this recorded tonight and up somewhere where you guys can hear it.

Here I just strum the chords without picking while I sing. I think if you could do the picking part while you sing it would sound really good but I'm not at that level yet.

[E]
Well ive been told that your running round
[G]
With a bad kind of crowd on the wrong side of town
[A]
But that aint news to me
[E]
Cause that's just what I used to be

We were close through our darker days
Now I see you through a misty haze
You're too far gone oh babe you're too far gone
And I think its time you were moving on

[E] [G] [A] [E] with the picking again just one time through

[Back to original slide from E up to Abm] Once through without lyrics then end with

But then I never thought that I'd meet you

I will say it once more. I am really sorry about the unclear description of how to play this song. But I have been playing it fairly consistently for a couple of weeks now and it sounds better than the description. I just went through Hurrican Wilma so I have been unable to record due to power loss. I will get this recorded tonight and up tomorrow so you guys will have a better idea of how it sounds. Then the description may make a little more sense. haha

As always, all critisisms good and bad are welcomed.

TheJackal.

Only dead fish go with the flow.

geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

Clear as mud.. LOL My dad used to say that..

It was hard for me to follow but you already knew that. But I really liked the words you chose to use. Also like the chords you chose for the sad effect.

Sorry to hear that Wilma hit ya.. Great work on the assignment. When you get going again, I'd love to hear it.

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@thejackal)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks Geoo.

I picked that one up from my Dad also. haha

I put a link in my original post for the mp3 now. Let me know what you think.

TheJackal.

ReplyQuote
 Celt
(@celt)
Famed Member

Jackal

Very Good

Interesting chord changes and very good lyrics .
But then I never thought that I'd meet you
I like the way you slip that in at the end.

John

My SoundClick Page

Collaborations

" It's easier than waiting around to die" Townes Van Zandt

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

Hi Jackal

I think the line

is well done. There's quite a difference between being along and being lonely and I like the way you deal with it in this song.

I also like the little touches like "darker days." Very nice.

The only constructive suggestion I'd make deals with the chord names. If you're in the key of E, you want to say "G# minor" and not "Ab minor." It's a little thing, but I guess that's the teacher in me coming out! :wink: Sorry.

Looking forward to reading more of your songs this new SSG year!

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@thejackal)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

John and Dave,

Thanks so much for the feedback and Dave, please dont ever apologize for correcting my Chord names. That's part of the reason I'm here.

This may not be the correct area to ask but if you guys have any ideas on an inexpensive way to get a little better sound quality that would be great. It's not that I think my song is unbelievable but I do think it could sound better than it did in this recording.

Thanks again.

TheJackal.

ReplyQuote
(@karla)
Estimable Member

The file sounds great! When I read the lyrics I thought wow, a few lines there sure have a lot of words. But I really like the way you play it, there's a kind of contradiction. First the longer line, then a short one. And repeat ;) Well done really, as it's quite hard to sing such long sentences. I guess you're right that it could sound better, but that's got to do with recording... And I'm a disaster with pcs so I can't help you on that one... But as for the lyrics & performance really well done :D

ReplyQuote
 pbee
(@pbee)
Noble Member

Hey Jackal,
I like your song too.
When I read the lyrics I thought wow, a few lines there sure have a lot of words. But I really like the way you play it, there's a kind of contradiction.
Those were exactly my thoughts when I read it, and I think the contrast between the long and short lines works very well. Well done.

pbee

Check out my Reverbnation page here

ReplyQuote