Clear all

year 4 - Week 6 - "Three Days"

13 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@marvelousoptimist)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I haven't been on the baords for a while... I thought i'd duck my head in... My first SSG song was on this same topic about two years ago. Im pretty sure i took these first two lines from a similar set I submitted for one of the "submit two lines" assignments... but I dont have a problem stealing from myself. This one is pretty standard for me...Im hoping to get back into the swng of writing.. I guess for now I'll stick where im comfortable.

"Three Days"

Its been three days
But i can still smell your perfume
Its drifting down the hallway
From what used to be our bedroom
I guess its all mine now
But i can't take a step past the door
Its been three days
And I may not make it to four.

And when the night falls
All the shadows on the walls
They get taller and angry and mean
And the pictures in their frames
Start calling out my name
And make a game out of torturing me

Its been three days
And yet I can still feel you here
The ghost of fingers on skin
The cold spot that once was a tear
I must be going mad
I don't think i can take it much more
Its been three days
And I may not make it to four

And when the night falls
All the shadows on the walls
They get taller and angry and mean
And the pictures in their frames
Start calling out my name
And make a game out of torturing me

Its been three days
And you never did say goodbye
And the thought has crossed my mind
To track you down just to ask why..
So I'm holding the pistol
I found beside you on the floor
Its been three days

Its been three days

-marv

Andrew Delaney & The Horse You Rode In On ---> http://www.myspace.com/andrewdelaney

You can and should buy my album "Scoundrels!" in mp3 format on amazon.com or iTunes etc...

(@scratchmonkey)
Honorable Member

Always a joy to read your stuff, Marv. Some wonderful imagery in there, shadows getting taller, and angry and mean... ghosts of fingers... the pictures tormenting you, all good stuff. The cold spot that used to be a tear, that was good too.
All in all, a very nice ballad. I wouldn't have included the twist, myself, but that's your style, and you worked it in very nicely.

-- Scratch 8)

"...if heartaches were commercials, we'd all be on TV" -- John Prine

ReplyQuote
(@pierson)
Reputable Member

Good song. I loved the imagery and your choice of words. It's been three days
And I may not make it to four. Great line. As for the ending, I liked it. I thought the twist really brought in what you were trying to say throughout the song. Also, it helped me understand the meaning of the song. Good stuff. Keep it up!

There's a thin fine line between hate and rage.
Now watch the line be crossed and break!

ReplyQuote
 Celt
(@celt)
Famed Member

Welcome Back Marv,

You always have such a unique spin on things.

The "twist" is a little sick but I like it.

John

My SoundClick Page

Collaborations

" It's easier than waiting around to die" Townes Van Zandt

ReplyQuote
(@marvelousoptimist)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Is it weird that I never thought of it as a twist? All of my songs have this same process where i start with some pretty lines and end up wth someone dead by the end. Its like bluegrass.. or Shakespeare. Not that I'm calling myself Shakespeare. Anyway.. Im really wanting to not write dark but that's how it always ends up. I'm a somber sorta guy I guess. I'll try for something lighter next time i get to writing.

-marv

Andrew Delaney & The Horse You Rode In On ---> http://www.myspace.com/andrewdelaney

You can and should buy my album "Scoundrels!" in mp3 format on amazon.com or iTunes etc...

ReplyQuote
(@scratchmonkey)
Honorable Member

Is it weird that I never thought of it as a twist?
Yup. :P
All of my songs have this same process where i start with some pretty lines and end up wth someone dead by the end.
That's a twist. I think you may not think of it as such, because you've become so familiar with that kind of writing. Like I said initially, that's your style. You know what you expect from certain writers because they typically evolve into a particular, unique style. Steinbeck usually had a twist at the end of his stories, Hemingway was usually mindlessly boring, Dostoevsky was usually very introspective and pensive, etc... In your case, as you said, you usually start out with some pretty lines, and end up with someone dead. It's like you have a camera zoomed in very very tightly on an object that looks like one thing, then you zoom way out and show the audience its something completely other than what you lead them to believe. It's a very clever device, and you use it well. One thing you might consider though, is to try it in reverse next time. Paint a bleak and somber scene, then at the end, show that it's actually something bright and festive.
Its like bluegrass..
ummm.... ok.

-- Scratch 8)

"...if heartaches were commercials, we'd all be on TV" -- John Prine

ReplyQuote
(@marvelousoptimist)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Bluegrass is the gangster rap of old.... its got a high character mortality rate.

-marv

ReplyQuote
 Celt
(@celt)
Famed Member

Marv,
I'm really wanting to not write dark but that's how it always ends up.

I know what you mean. My wife keeps asking me why I
always write Love Gone Wrong songs.

I don't know ,I guess it easier for me to write if
there's a little tension to convey.

I find that sometimes the song takes on a life of it's own
and I just need to find the words to tell it's story.

John

My SoundClick Page

Collaborations

ReplyQuote
 Celt
(@celt)
Famed Member

OOPS! Double posted :oops:

My SoundClick Page

Collaborations

ReplyQuote
(@straycat)
Noble Member

hey marv... great, they all return :wink:

as you say it's "pretty standard" for you to write it's pretty obvious I will like it. and, indeed, I love it, the 'twist' is nice and all the imagery.... I especially like these lines "Its been three days
And I may not make it to four. ", their repitition and how they gain depth/meaning throughout the song.

hoping to read more from you again soon.
cheers,
bluenightangel

"oh, eventually it will break your heart" - anders wendin

ReplyQuote
(@rodders)
Noble Member

This is a unique style you have, but I cant help feeling it would end up as a Muddy Waters type song

Its been three days (Da- da -da- da)
But i can still smell your perfume (Da- da -da- da)
Its drifting down the hallway (Da- da -da- da)
From what used to be our bedroom (Da- da -da- da)

You follow my thinking ? Blues all the way.

Be excellent to each other & party on dudes!
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=686668

ReplyQuote
(@marvelousoptimist)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I actually started messig around with doing this one blues style... it didnt turn out quite how i wanted it so i scrapped the idea. Oddly i ended up writing a second, and totally different song while playing the blues chords i was trying to use for this one.

-marv

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Well....it's about time you got off your jacksey and gave us something to read!!!

Very cool, touch of the Stephen King's or Dean Coontz's about this....and yes I admit, I didn't see it coming!!!!

The one thing I'm not sure about is the repetition at the very end of the last verse....

"So I'm holding the pistol
Its been three days
And I may not make it to four"....

I was fooling about with some chords earlier, and for some reason this sprang into my head....

So I'm holding the pistol
To your cold cold heart,
But it doesn't work any more...."

(Ambiguity - leaves the listener in suspense - what doesn't work, the heart or the gun? Or both?)

Just a thought, anyway....still a pretty good job....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote