:note1: :note1: :note1:

John

My SoundClick Page

Collaborations

" It's easier than waiting around to die" Townes Van Zandt

(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Sigh..... hard to fault.... again.....

About the only thing that didn't quite fly for me was... Wait, let's rephrase that, it flew but not quite as well as the rest of it... was the line "But if you stay by me". It sound like she might be about to push off, which I don't think was the intention.

Maybe it's just me, but it felt like you started with "stand by me" and changed it for the obvious reason that's it's such a well known song line already. But I guess that "if you come with me", "if you're lovin' me", "if you consent to engage in a meaningful life partnership arrangement with me" etc, aren't really much of an improvement though. :?

I wasn't entirely sure about offering her the blue sky either, as she already has access to that. And phrasing it "sky of blue" rather than 'blue sky' sounded slightly odd - a bit Yellow Submarine... But this is a song not a legal document, so the meaning is pretty clear. Yes, I guess it was it was a fairly sharp twist on the brief, but it's still a good song and I can imagine audiences liking it.

Chris

ReplyQuote
(@jamestoffee)
Famed Member

Hi John,

It's looking good :D Nice song concept.

Some bits and pieces trip me up on the read, but maybe your delivery makes the lines work. For example:
But if you stay by me

But if you stay with me
I'll give you all that I got
I'll give you all I've got

I like "All I Got" better than "All That I Got"
...but again if I heard it, I might not even make these suggestions as they seem minor until I hear the delivery.

Thanks for sharing.

James

ReplyQuote
(@martin-6)
Honorable Member

Just a small nitpick, I don't really get the line "I got the sky of blue". I take it this is some kind of metaphorical expression like "I'd give you the world". My problem is, it seems too poetic and out of character for a guy who wears t-shirts and is permanently in the red (you did a great job of describing him as a less-than-average Joe!) And I don't think the sky of blue would convince your woman - she can have blue skies any time she wants. I'd feel it was more in character if you described something tangible that he's got - perhaps "a heart big enough for two"?

ReplyQuote
(@wilhelmina)
Estimable Member

I just like it and that's all I have to say. I like the story. Two thumbs up from me. Wilhelmina

ReplyQuote