Notifications
Clear all

At the dinner table

42 Posts
13 Users
0 Likes
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

I'd vote "Not yet convinced", if there was such an option.

I can see the benefits of being able to let off a bit of steam. However, I can just as easily see the dangers - need I mention Derekslide or Mikespe?

We've already witnessed the down-side of a chat room - time zones. The members live so far apart that some would rarely be online when others, with whom they'd like to chat, are online. I believe that this was one of the major downfalls of our previous attempt at a chat room. I went on the old one about 10 times and only once did I find anyone logged in. You folks, in the States, would never get to chat with Rahul, for instance. Ahhhhhhhhhhh, now I see.......... :D :D

If it was to be a forum, I'd prefer it to be subscription only. The subscription would only be granted on acceptance of additional conditions. Bad behaviour could result, for example, in 7 days suspension. Serious breaches could result in permanent exclusion, without affecting their other, guitar-related, activities on the rest of the board (assuming they wanted to, of course).

As I said, I'm not convinced - I shall start preparing a short "I told you so" :lol: :lol:

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

Posted : 23/09/2008 6:54 am
(@paulhackett)
Prominent Member Admin

The subscription model is also good for keeping youngsters out.

Guitar Noises Newsletter

Posted : 23/09/2008 7:13 am
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

After reading and thinking about this I am doing sliding towards maybe or even no. I think the only safe way to do it would be by subscription, check ID's and install manners at the door.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

Posted : 23/09/2008 9:29 am
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

We could make a group and only allow members with over 100 posts to join. That should keep out spammers and trolls.

Posted : 23/09/2008 10:09 am
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

Is it possible to set it up so we can only post once every 24 hours? That will make for slow well-thought arguments.

I know there is a timer, but will it work for only one forum?

Posted : 23/09/2008 12:44 pm
(@paulhackett)
Prominent Member Admin

Limiting it to over 100 posts is an excellent idea.

On further thought, an age limit might encourage members to treat it like an "adult" area of the site. That could threaten the dinner table standard of taste.

Guitar Noises Newsletter

Posted : 23/09/2008 1:20 pm
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

We could make a group and only allow members with over 100 posts to join. That should keep out spammers and trolls.
For a second, I thought you'd written "only members over 100.." - that's sure to cut membership a little. :D :D

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

Posted : 23/09/2008 1:35 pm
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Dogbite and smokindog would get in on dog years.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Posted : 23/09/2008 6:02 pm
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Well I'm glad to see we have such an overwhelming consensus on what to do.

Posted : 23/09/2008 7:31 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Well I'm glad to see we have such an overwhelming consensus on what to do.

It's just an idea - musing out loud, if you like - but why not take a straw poll of the senior members? Say, for example, those over 1000 posts? Could be done via PM - and you'd get an idea of what the more responsible members are thinking. Obviously the question(s) would have to be framed something like....

1 - Do you think it's a good idea to have an off-topic general interest forum?
2 - If such a forum were to be brought in, what should the ground rules be?
3 - Should any subjects be banned - for example, Religion, Politics, etc?

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 23/09/2008 7:56 pm
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

I was just about to make the same point ! This would help keep the riff-raff at bay :D
The after the election thing would be good also :wink:
I voted maybe.I do like the Idea of having a place to talk with old friends about other things besides music.

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

Posted : 29/09/2008 3:16 am
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Sorry I am so late getting in on this.

I think the idea of an open forum where you can discuss non-guitar related subjects is great, because people have other interests. But I don't like the idea of limited free speech. I dunno, if you are not going to let people freely speak their mind on any subject, then why call it an "open" forum.

I personally like topics like religion and politics, but I agree with Vic, it never goes well.

So as someone said, don't fix what isn't broken.

So, I vote no.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

Posted : 29/09/2008 7:00 pm
Page 3 / 3