Clear all

Final word on Mikespe

17 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

If you haven't had a chance to read the previous posts that mikespe has written, the ones that I linked in the prior thread, go do that if this makes you feel bad, but tally votes on the ban seems to fall out like this:

Ban - 4
Probably for the best - 1
Don't ban - 2
Abstaining - 1 (me)

We don't need to make an announcement, but I think an email of some sort to Mikespe letting him know he won't be coming back is in order. I said he could but that was prior to the PMs and email he sent. What do you think?

It should be something very dry.

"Upon further consideration by the Guitar Noise Forum Moderators (with head moderator abstaining from discussion) and due to repeated violations of the Guitarnoise Terms of Service, your account has been terminated."

In other words nothing he can cut and paste into another group email.

Thoughts?

Posted : 20/10/2006 6:30 pm
(@davidhodge)

Have you gotten any email from Mike about any of this?

In all fairness, Nick, I'm not sure you should send the email, should we decide to send one. I'm more than willing to take the responsibility for sending it. Or do we have a "Moderators@guitarnoise.com" account we can use?

The only change I'd make to what you wrote is replacing "staff" with "Guitar Noise Forum Moderators (with head moderator abstaining from discussion)."

Something tells me, though, that this might simply turn into a childish game of "last word." Hopefully not.

Peace

Posted : 20/10/2006 7:20 pm
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Sounds appropriate to me, Nick.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Posted : 20/10/2006 7:40 pm
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

I go with David's amendment.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

Posted : 20/10/2006 7:59 pm
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

hmm, posting glitch....

I included the suggested line and I'm all for you or Paul sending it. It just further removes me from the loop.

I'm sorry it came to this and I harbor no ill will, even with his email. I'm just tired of deleting, moving and watching for one guys posts.

Posted : 20/10/2006 8:44 pm
(@paulhackett)
Prominent Member Admin

Can't we just not tell him he's banned for life? I'm serious. This seems to make a cleaner cut.

Guitar Noises Newsletter

Posted : 21/10/2006 9:06 am
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Can't we just not tell him he's banned for life? I'm serious. This seems to make a cleaner cut.
Unless it's on his terms, I don't think Mikespe understands the concept.

Greybeard's Pages

Posted : 21/10/2006 9:39 am
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

I think that a brief email that tells him how and why is in order. Mainly because I gave him too many chances to redeem himself. Personally I want him to know that it was a group decision and not just me.

He and his domain are already banned. We can just leave him that way.

Posted : 21/10/2006 11:52 am
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

If we send the e-mail, include David's amendments. If Mike's expecting the ban to be temporary, it's probably fair to let him know that the staff took the matter out of Nick's hands and arrived at a different decision.

Tim

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

Posted : 21/10/2006 12:23 pm
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

I think Tim is right, I don't think its fair to let Nick be the "heavy" all by his self. This was a decision that we all discussed and voted on. It should be clear that this isn't just coming from Nick or David. Again, I hate that it came to this but I just don't think Mike leaves us much choice. --ken

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

Posted : 21/10/2006 12:58 pm
(@paulhackett)
Prominent Member Admin

Whatever you guys decide is best. I've only watched from the sidelines so I'm far too detached. I think any action or inaction could be like putting salt on the wound. It sounds like you've come up with a decent sounding message. You may add my name and support to the final decision. I don't like this anymore than you guys. It's ridiculous for one person to demand so much of everyone's attention. I hope everything all blows over quickly.

Guitar Noises Newsletter

Posted : 21/10/2006 2:51 pm
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

It's ridiculous for one person to demand so much of everyone's attention.

Paul,

I think that what we're doing is just what separates GN from other sites - we genuinely try to find a way to avoid banning people and are willing to go the extra mile to discuss the thing thoroughly, before taking any irrevocable action.

We shouldn't feel bad, that we're doing this. It is what makes us better than the rest.

As for the mail, I think it is important that Mikespe knows that he's been found guilty by a jury, not by a judge, so to speak.

Greybeard's Pages

Posted : 21/10/2006 3:32 pm
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

David,

Would you mind sending the amended notice to mikespe?

Posted : 21/10/2006 6:32 pm
(@alangreen)

I'm confused - it goes with my age. We've banned people before, and I'm sure we didn't mess about having a conversation about sending them an e-mail about it. For that reason, I don't see why we should make a special case of mikespe. Can't we just rely on his being unable to log in giving him the oh so subtlest hint that he's no longer welcome here.

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

Posted : 21/10/2006 6:42 pm
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

It's only because I sent an email to him right after his outburst saying take until the weekend to cool down. I'll let you back in then.

Immediately after I sent out that email, he rejoined as mikespe2 and sent some rude PMs, rejoined as nick is an idiot and sent some more. Then he sent that email to a host of gn'ers.

I think he violated the TOS 15 times in as many minutes. Not to mention he threatened me with physical violence. So he's gone, but I just want him to know it's final and he's not coming back this weekend or any other.

If it weren't for my initial email, I'd have no problem just booting him.

Posted : 21/10/2006 6:51 pm
Page 1 / 2