Notifications
Clear all

hoo boy

15 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@davidhodge)
Topic starter

I'm closing down the "I'm bored" thread. I'm sorry but after reading this, I just had to delete it:

well, i'm in a foreign country, so finding books is a pain. the ones i have found, despite being classics, don't hold my interest. i've seen enough films illegally downloaded that it's starting to lose its appeal. relationships require the cooperation of another party, or it's just stalking and rape, which is fun and all, but... i've written 8 songs this month. i have a job, and i don't know what you mean by get a life, since it's just an insult where i'm from, but seeing as i'm ten thousand miles from home, i'm going to have to say i'm doing something with my life. but i was still bored when i wrote that.

also, i don't know how you got roped into alphabetizing the esd, but aren't there programs that will alphabetize lists? i'd just do a short google search, paste the whole list, and click.

More important right now is that I calm down before I send Jason a note. Anyone else want to handle this? Can't Nick revoke a membership for something this blatantly stupid and hateful?

Peace

Posted : 05/03/2009 1:51 am
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Can't say I blame you for closing it down. I got a bit cranky there....but it's only to be expected, I feel like I've been editing the ESD since I was born.

And no, there aren't any programs that will take a line of text, cut the hyphen out (and the space before and after) automatically move the highlighted bit to the end of the line and put everything in the correct sequence. In that or any other order.

I think I got out of bed tuesday morning, about 9-ish - time I got back in it for a few hours, I think. Before I REALLY lose it and say something to Mr Brann I might regret....

There are times I really wish I wasn't the nice person everyone seems to think I am....and this is one of them. Now, I just want to step all over JB's head with my size 11's (that's size 12, US) - but I'm going to take a chill pill and go to bed instead.

Memo to self.....calm down a bit.

Goodnight, over and out. Back in the AM.

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 05/03/2009 2:23 am
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Vic,

Get yourself OpenOffice, it has a spreadsheet, which you can use to sort the ESD entries. It won't reorganise all the separate parts of the line, but you can do that with cut'n'paste. You just add the new entry at the end and run the sort function.

If you want to break the list up into blocks, the spreadsheet allows you to put the data on separate pages ("sheets").

To get text for the GN pages, you save the data as either ascii text (.csv) or directly in html format.

To get the current data into the spreadsheet, you will need to edit the file, so that the various parts of the line are separated by a delimiting character, such as comma or semicolon. Save as a file with the .csv extension and open it with Calc (the spreadsheet program). You will be asked to define the delimiter - that's it.

You can keep the file as a text file or store it as a spreadsheet. If you wish to have the file spread over several sections, it is best to store in spreadsheet format.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

Posted : 10/03/2009 11:57 am
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

'Tis done now - we've got two indexes, one alphabetised by artist's name/surname, the other by song title. Which leads to another question - where can I put a "back-up" copy of the index? Here, perhaps, or EL?

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 11/03/2009 1:58 pm
(@davidhodge)
Topic starter

Either place is okay. Wherever you do it, make it a sticky so that you don't have to worry about finding it again.

Also, it might be nice, once Vic has made the backup, for at least one or two Mods to copy it and put it on a disc or other hard back-up in the off chance that something traumatic happens here. That way we'll know we have hard copies somewhere.

And then we'll need to update those on a regular basis. Maybe yearly?

Peace

Posted : 11/03/2009 3:43 pm
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

I'll make a copy.

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

Posted : 11/03/2009 4:53 pm
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Might I suggest that we open an account with a free provider, such as freenet and store the ESD and any other such files there.

All we need is to know the login name and password and anyone, who has access to that info, can access the files.

Greybeard's Pages

Posted : 11/03/2009 8:01 pm
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Excellent idea! But, I have made a hard copy, just in case!

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

Posted : 12/03/2009 1:36 am
(@paulhackett)
Prominent Member Admin

Anybody know how I could set up a remote backup of everything on our server?

Guitar Noises Newsletter

Posted : 12/03/2009 1:55 pm
(@paulhackett)
Prominent Member Admin

If that last post makes you lose all confidence in me just forget I said it.

Guitar Noises Newsletter

Posted : 12/03/2009 1:56 pm
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

Anybody know how I could set up a remote backup of everything on our server?

I think your webhost can provide that as a $ervice. Plus they have their own backups (not historical, just for power outages, etc).

Do you keep your source files on your PC, or do you work directly on the host-based code? I keep a copy of my little site on my own PC, but I'd guess that GN is too large for that. Any of course, it wouldn't cover the forums.

Why not make it a school project? Ask a handful of power users to preserve the important sections of the Forum once a month. Time consuming, but cool. Or perhaps an annual SSG CD.

Just some random ideas...

Posted : 12/03/2009 2:04 pm
(@paulhackett)
Prominent Member Admin

Our hosts do have backup. But who knows if the tapes work or if I even have it configured right?

Lately I've been using an online backup service for my PC and it automatically updates my files every day. I'm wondering if there is something like that for servers. I have copies of the site code and pages in a few different places. But I'd smile more often if I had another automatic backup of the SQL databases that store the forum messages and articles.

Guitar Noises Newsletter

Posted : 12/03/2009 2:12 pm
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Hmm, I thought I had made a post about this. Try googling "remote backup hard drive" and you'll get a lot of hits.

One that looks interesting is http://mozy.com/

Greybeard's Pages

Posted : 12/03/2009 6:10 pm
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I've been seeing lots of TV ads for Mozy.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Posted : 12/03/2009 8:11 pm
(@paulhackett)
Prominent Member Admin

Mozy is the one I use. Works very well.

Guitar Noises Newsletter

Posted : 13/03/2009 12:25 am