Clear all

Life Gets In The Way Sometimes

20 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

I've been pretty busy with lots of things lately, and am looking into alternative options for my career. (I'm not entirely comfortable with the current management.) That's why I've been unusually quiet lately. Things'll work out fine for me one way or another, but I may not be spending as much time sitting in front of a computer with time to yak as I've grown accustomed to in the past few years.
:D

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Posted : 30/05/2009 7:37 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I thought you'd been pretty quiet lately, Ric. Whatever you choose to do career-wise, I hope it works out for you. Make sure you find a bit of time for slidin', though!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 30/05/2009 8:16 pm
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Thanks! That's something else I've been neglecting and really need to get back to!

Posted : 30/05/2009 9:31 pm
(@davidhodge)

Definitely take care of the important things first. We'll still be here!

Not that we won't miss you (a LOT!)... :wink:

Looking forward to hearing some very good news soon, I hope.

Peace

Posted : 30/05/2009 10:02 pm
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

I thought there was something missing lately, just couldn't put my finger on it! :D Now I can! It was you!

Hope everything works out the way you want it to! I'll be thinking good thoughts for you! :D

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

Posted : 30/05/2009 10:22 pm
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Thanks!

Posted : 31/05/2009 7:19 pm
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

yeah...I definitely understand :D Life has had its way with me lately also :wink: Good luck with the career thing. Have you thought about being a Hospitalist? I have a few MD friends who like this sort of thing.

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

Posted : 02/06/2009 5:46 am
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

I'd much rather go the other way and be outpatient only. Though I've given some thought to the "Fast Track" thing in the ER. (I did a bunch of ER moonlighting years ago. Could have grandfathered in, taken the test and been one of the first board certified ER docs.) I'm not keen on inpatient hospital work anymore, though I've been doing it for some 30 years.

Posted : 02/06/2009 8:17 pm
(@lauralasley)
Estimable Member

Best of luck with it. We haven't officially 'met'; I'm a long ago contributor, very occasional lurker and otherwise get the news from Laz, my other half. As per my 'handle' I'm a neonatologist. I used to do all days, only backup from home at night but last year made a change of hospital/state for many reasons (after 20 years!). I'm now with intermittant in house at night; I do have more time to play the guitar, weed the garden, go grocery shopping and check in on GN, but it is a lot harder to be functional at night than it used to be!

There are some decent headhunters out there, depending on your field. You could also consider going to the Dark Side and working for an insurance co or case management.

Just my two cents. And at the rate of reimbursement these days that would be about, um, less than half a penny....

Posted : 10/06/2009 1:15 am
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Laura, I remember you from when you first started writing "The Other Side." :D

I've got a meeting tomorrow night with the principals of a large multispecialty group I'm seriously interested in joining. I'd be working on the other side of the pine trees separating us from the next building. Busy practice, I'd be hard at it right away. There are some other groups that are more attractive in certain ways, but the biggest appeal of this one is its benefit package with a good group insurance plan. My wife's chronically ill, and the groups that offer a modest stipend for buying family insurance, or worse, rely on medical savings accounts and the beneficence of drug reps, won't cut it.

I wish I'd discovered earlier some of the underhanded stuff my department chairman's been pulling on me behind my back. I could've put in for a buyout plan the University offered that would've been a nice bonus! (Too late for that now.) But I do love working with the residents, and the office staff here, had expected to stay here till retirement, and am perhaps a bit too trusting...

Posted : 10/06/2009 1:14 pm
(@lauralasley)
Estimable Member

I'm glad you have some good options. Been there, done that about being too trusting and finding out what went on behind my back, and sometimes to my front! I go to work in good faith, and perhaps that's a bit naive. I do wonder, with the shenanigans, what possessed some of these people to go into medicine in the first place!

Best of luck with your meeting. I hear you about the insurance. That was one of the things I checked out before making the move to PA! Who knows, maybe someday I'll be settled enough to write more for The Other Side :D

Posted : 10/06/2009 1:25 pm
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Thanks!

It certainly is nice to know I don't have to stick around and put up with it. It's nice to have options!

I also have mixed feelings after having received Friday the "Outstanding Faculty Member" award from the residents at graduation. Truly a great honor, and I hate to feel like I'm letting them down. But I don't trust the chairman a bit.

Posted : 10/06/2009 1:27 pm
(@lauralasley)
Estimable Member

My Dad is at a major university in the Midwest and has the same issue with his Chairman. Funny, so did I (pre job change). This one's too new to me to worry too much... yet :wink:

Politics in Academic Medicine; ain't it fun?

Again, best of luck. Sometimes knowing you can walk is enough.

Posted : 10/06/2009 1:41 pm
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Thanks!

Posted : 10/06/2009 2:19 pm
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Unfortunately, it's my experience that the words "politics" and "academics" are redundant. Good luck, Richochet!

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

Posted : 10/06/2009 11:51 pm
Page 1 / 2