Clear all

Real Life................

23 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Well, as from tomorrow, I will be occupying a new seat at a new employer.
For the first 3 months, I will be travelling to Berlin almost every week, so my appearance on GN will be limited to weekends, I guess.
I'm the new Account Manager for the automotive industry with a company that makes simulation software for real-time electronic control units. It's a young company with a new product, which might have been one reason to say "no", but it's a spin-off of a research project, run jointly by the University of Erlangen and Siemens VDO (an industry leader in ECUs), so the chances are better than average that it's going to do what it's supposed to.

The first thing that I'm looking to find is a cheap beater, that I can keep in Berlin, for the lonely nights in my hotel room. :lol:

You never know, if it takes off, I may be winging my way to see some ECU manufacturers in the UK and the US. 8)

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

Posted : 08/01/2007 10:23 am
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

good luck with the new job. Keep us up to date with any guitar shops in Berlin. It's good to know where they are in every major city.

Posted : 08/01/2007 10:45 am
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Glückwunsch!

Will you eventually relocate to Berlin? It may well be my favorite city. Or will you resettle in Beervaria after the transition?

Either way, it sounds like fun.

Tim

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

Posted : 08/01/2007 11:51 am
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Thanks, folks. The Berlin lark is only until the company can organise an office in Munich - and for my training, which won't be too long.
After the end of March, I shall be mostly working from home, when I'm not at a customer's site.
I'm hoping that I can get some time to practice and to make a few recordings - I seem to be the new patron of an instrumental thread :?

Greybeard's Pages

Posted : 08/01/2007 1:34 pm
(@alangreen)

Stopped off in Berlin for an hour on my way to Vienna last year, and on the way home too. There must be more to the place than a puddle on a runway.

Have fun, dude. when I was working in Frankfurt and gave people the choice of the same training course in London or Berlin, everybody wanted to go to Berlin.

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

Posted : 08/01/2007 1:46 pm
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

There's nothing wrong with Berlin, I've been there a few times. I'm actually working in Potsdam, way out in the sticks.
I'll muddle through, somehow :lol: :lol: :lol:

Greybeard's Pages

Posted : 08/01/2007 1:55 pm
(@lauralasley)
Estimable Member

Hey, all I know is I found a cool guitar store in Aachen (don't know how far that is, but nothing seemed that far away) when I was over for World Cup fun in July. I have a picture of me standing under this gigantic red Fender type guitar which lured me away from World Cup souvenir shopping. So there are guitar stores in Germany!

Posted : 08/01/2007 8:42 pm
(@davidhodge)

Congrats, Graham!

I hope that you enjoy your new job and if you should ever find yourself heading to New York, sing out. Many mods live within three hours of the "city that never sleeps."

Peace

Posted : 08/01/2007 9:11 pm
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

Good luck with your new job :D New jobs are always a challenge, but hopefully its worth it :wink: --ken

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

Posted : 09/01/2007 2:17 am
(@alangreen)

Hey, all I know is I found a cool guitar store in Aachen (don't know how far that is, but nothing seemed that far away) when I was over for World Cup fun in July. I have a picture of me standing under this gigantic red Fender type guitar which lured me away from World Cup souvenir shopping. So there are guitar stores in Germany!

I got my stage classical from a guitar shop in Frankfurt which had a huge sunburst Les Paul over the doorway. They must all use the same shopfitters hee hee

I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

Posted : 09/01/2007 12:04 pm
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Congratulations on the new job, Graham! :D

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

Posted : 10/01/2007 1:13 am
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Thanks, folks.
This is my second day, here, and I'm being mercilessly misused to translate all the company's sales docs - into American English!!!!!

So, I need your help (I only speak English English).

If I have a list of items, cars trains boats planes, would I separate them with all commas,
i.e cars, trains, boats, and planes
or would I separate them:
cars, trains, boats and planes?

The difference being the comma before the "and".

Ta, so much.

Greybeard's Pages

Posted : 10/01/2007 10:22 am
(@alangreen)

You do not need the comma before the "and"

"Cars, trains, boats and planes" is correct

:-)

Posted : 10/01/2007 2:29 pm
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

But we'll accept either. Indeed, my Bedford Handbook for Writers says that commas should be used "between all items in a series". Nevertheless, it is common to omit it before the "and" if it is the final element. Otherwise, however, I think it is preferred to include it if there are three or more items in the series.

Quoting again from the Bedford Handbook: "Although some writers view the comma between the last two items [of a series] as optional, most experts advise using the comma because its omission can result in ambiguity or misreading."

Commas are so much easier in German.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

Posted : 10/01/2007 2:51 pm
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I like it better with the extra comma. Either is OK.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Posted : 10/01/2007 5:45 pm
Page 1 / 2