Which side is up?

8 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Well, you all know about my kidney cancer (had my right kidney and my gallbladder removed).

Come to find out, it's work related........ YAYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NOT!

My doctor's (3 of them) say that for every doc I bring in, they'll bring in two saying it's not related to my job. I don't care anyway because I'm really not the suein' type. I just want to put this all behind me but, it's not that easy.

I made really good money at my job and (now that I look back) it was all, "on the job training". So...................

SO! I've been there for over 10 years!!!

I have to go back to school and completely change my career. Not something I was plannin' on doin' at 30 but, oh well, no one said life was gonna be fun! If anyone, I should know, I've been through a lot! (not just the cancer) :wink:

So, for the next few years I'll be putting myself through Culinary School at Johnson & Wales University.

I love to cook and my wife supports me 1000%. My parents on the other hand think I should do something better with my talents. They think I should become an engineer but, I really don't want to work that hard. I know it would be easy to an extent but, why put my brain through what I've BEEN putting it through. I hate it! I'd rather cook but, they don't think I'd bring in the same money (I do have two children and a wife to support).

It sucks when you're going along at a steady pace and all of a sudden, someone pulls the rug out from under your feet. :?

Posted : 22/05/2008 12:36 am
(@davidhodge)

Wow!

Good cooks can rake in some good money, Mike, but I think that your attitude about doing something you enjoy is going to truly make a difference. Especially for your health. And you're very lucky (although you undoubtedly already know it) to have someone behind you who supports you and approves of what you're doing.

Best of luck with this. And if you need to (or just want to) scale down any of the moderator chores, just say the word. We'll do our best to cover for you.

And we'll continue to keep you in our hearts and thoughts.

Peace

Posted : 22/05/2008 2:06 am
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Yes, good luck at the culinary institute. You've got to follow your passions. I think it sounds like a great career.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

Posted : 22/05/2008 9:14 am
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

Best of luck! J&W is very good.

Wait, engineering is supposed to be hard work? Glad I missed that memo. :lol:

Laz

Posted : 22/05/2008 12:22 pm
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

I used to date a chef who worked for the Four Seasons chain of hotels. He made damn good money! Well, he sure spent it like he made damn good money, anyway!! :D

I also have a friend who, after 25 years in one career, up and quit his job and enrolled in the Cordon Bleu Culinary Academy. He now cooks for Hyatt Hotels and he's happier than I've ever seen him before!

Follow your dreams! Do what you love! Ignore the nay-sayers and listen to your wife! Good for you, Mike! :D

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

Posted : 22/05/2008 12:48 pm
(@alangreen)

My Dad learned to cook after my mum died - he clearly missed his vocation and shoulda dumped selling drain and rainwater pipes.

My youngest went to catering college - he's now driving a bus. Cookin' ain't for everyone, but good luck with it.

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

Posted : 22/05/2008 8:34 pm
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

To me, the cooking would be really hard work. Have fun!

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Posted : 22/05/2008 11:51 pm
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Thanks all!

It's funny..... Now that I'm home all the time, I'm busier with the appointments, check-ups, etc and the kids. Thankfully, school's out soon! It's tough finding a sitter all the time!

Thank you for the concern David but, the ESD is probably one of the easiest chores out of any of the "mod squad" duties.

It's all still weird to me.

Have a good one all!

Mike

Posted : 03/06/2008 1:49 am