Notifications
Clear all

Wish me luck!!!

44 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Usually, I'll sit there quietly shaking my eggs....

This is obviously some US (or musician's) slang of which I'm unaware - I had a mental image of you whipping up omelettes for the band! I'm guessing....maraccas....or is it more generic than that?

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 23/05/2009 5:19 pm
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Usually, I'll sit there quietly shaking my eggs....

This is obviously some US (or musician's) slang of which I'm unaware - I had a mental image of you whipping up omelettes for the band! I'm guessing....maraccas....or is it more generic than that?

Vic

LOL!! Even though I DO make good omelettes, those aren't the kind of eggs I'm talking about!! :D

These are just little egg shaped shakers partially filled with tiny beads that, when shaken add a nice little, lighter than maracas sound, although I do have a couple of them that have holes in them (called a loop shaker even though it looks like an egg) that allows you to adjust not only the tone, but the 'brightness' of the sound simply by holding it in different ways.

I've also got a few regular shakers in different sizes for different sounds, some plastic for a softer sound, some aluminum for a brighter sound.

But, my favorite little shaker is called a spark shaker. It looks like a little metal ufo full of holes and filled with metal "beads". You can also control the sound and the brightness depending on how you hold the little thing!

I love percussion stuff! I could add a bunch more to this list, but, since the question was about eggs and shakers, I'll stop here! LOL!

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

Posted : 23/05/2009 7:29 pm
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

..............but I honestly feel really good about it! I want to quit so badly that I'm willing ............I am determined to quit, and I am one of the most stubborn people ever! And I intend to be very stubborn about this! I WILL be a non-smoker!!! 8)
That's what will make it happen - the real desire to quit. Good on yer...

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

Posted : 23/05/2009 9:47 pm
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Way to go! :mrgreen:

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Posted : 30/05/2009 6:14 pm
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

COOL 8) My last smoke was 01/12/1996 after 26 years.I started smoking in 1970 :oops: Good luck!

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

Posted : 04/06/2009 2:43 am
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Thank you! This breaking the habit part is HARD!!!!! But, I only have to wait 7 more days until I get my patches to start working on the addiction! I already got my pills and started taking them so that I can be up to the two a day by the 11th when the patch goes on and the cigarettes go out forever!!!!

:D

¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

Posted : 04/06/2009 5:02 pm
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

The patch worked nicely for my wife, but it did cause her to have some very weird dreams.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

Posted : 04/06/2009 8:56 pm
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

It keeps a more or less steady level of nicotine in the system, whereas folks normally don't smoke in their sleep and the nicotine goes away. On the other hand, smokers tend to wake up with a furious craving as the nicotine's gone away overnight.

I think overnight nicotine withdrawal also causes the common "hot foot" complaint of smokers, especially women, who stick their feet out from under the covers for relief. Nicotine's a powerful vasoconstrictor, and the hands and feet get cold as a result. When it wears off, there's some rebound vasodilatation in the extremities.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Posted : 04/06/2009 11:17 pm
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member
Topic starter

It keeps a more or less steady level of nicotine in the system, whereas folks normally don't smoke in their sleep and the nicotine goes away. On the other hand, smokers tend to wake up with a furious craving as the nicotine's gone away overnight.

I think overnight nicotine withdrawal also causes the common "hot foot" complaint of smokers, especially women, who stick their feet out from under the covers for relief. Nicotine's a powerful vasoconstrictor, and the hands and feet get cold as a result. When it wears off, there's some rebound vasodilatation in the extremities.

Hmmmm.... I've stuck at least one foot out from under the covers since I was a baby (my mother told me) as my "temperature control", because I tend to be a "furnace" when I sleep. I guess I'll just have to wait and see what happens when I get on the patch.

I'm still SO ready to be rid of these nasty things!

¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´

Posted : 05/06/2009 3:09 am
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I usually end up with BOTH feet poking out from under the duvet - mind you, I usually end up with both feet hanging over the edge of the bed. 'Tis one of the perils of being so tall - I'm actually surprised they don't end up hanging out of the window sometimes!

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 05/06/2009 8:27 am
(@lauralasley)
Estimable Member

Leslie,

I've been off a long while from the forums and GN so only just found this thread. I'm thrilled you are working on this! Sounds like a really good plan and I'm very hopeful that you can beat it this time. One step at a time.

Don't let the side effects of bupoprion put you off. Not everyone gets them (you're special, Vic) and the starting slowly and moving up on the dose is a sound plan.

Give a shout out if you need more moral support. Stay determined!

Posted : 10/06/2009 12:00 am
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Well, this is my last day as a smoker!! I am supposed to have all cigarettes gone by the time I go to bed tonight and, luckily, my appointment at the clinic is at 10 am tomorrow morning, so, if I time it right and sleep just late enough, I ought to be able to get there and get my patch on before too much "withdrawal" sets in!!! I'm also supposed to have all ashtrays emptied and washed and all of the nasty "butts" in the trash can outside so that there's nothing here to tempt me. (Which reminds me ... I need to go clean out my car!! Especially underneath the seats. Cigarettes and butts tend to get lost under there.)
:D

And, I've been taking the one Bupropion for five days now and tomorrow is the day I step up to two a day. So far I've had virtually no side effects at all. (Aside from a little jitteriness the first couple of days.) Sorry, Vic!! Lol! Laura must be right and you're just "special"!! Or ... you started out taking two a day instead of easing into it first. I know that with a lot of antidepressants, they kind of "wean" you onto them and then "wean" you off when it's time to stop taking them.

I'll let y'all know how it's going. Thanks for all of your support! I need every bit I can get! I am NOT the strongest willed person you'll ever meet! Luckily, this clinic has a 24/7 "hotline" you can call if you really, really get to the point where you're about to go buy a pack and be a chimney again!

¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´

Posted : 10/06/2009 1:27 pm
(@alangreen)

A big day.

Good luck.

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

Posted : 10/06/2009 2:12 pm
(@lauralasley)
Estimable Member

Atta girl! Stay determined and you'll get there. We're with you all the way!

Posted : 10/06/2009 3:50 pm
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Good luck, EB! You'll always be glad you quit -- nicotine enslaves us body and soul. You'll soon be free!

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

Posted : 10/06/2009 10:49 pm
Page 2 / 3