Clear all

Gibson's Line of Ladies Guitars!!!! :D

52 Posts
30 Users
0 Likes
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Excuse me for asking, but, why does it bug you? Personally, as a 5 foot tall female with very small hands, I appreciate the fact that guitar makers are taking us into consideration! The weight of the guitars designed for females are redistributed so they aren't so heavy, which, IMHO, is a good thing! I have a real problem playing a four hour gig with 10 or 11 or 12 lbs. strapped across my shoulder. A 6 or 7 or 8 lb. guitar is MUCH easier for me to play for extended periods. And, the necks are narrower, which makes it easier to stretch for some of those chords that STILL give me trouble on a full scale, "regular" guitar. The guts of the guitars are still the same, it's just the small things that are changed for us. And, of course, there are the aesthetics. I love playing my pink 12-string electric RetroH for an audience! I get more positive comments about it (from both men and women), and it was most definitely designed for a woman!

Just curious! :D

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@riotgeek)

Excuse me for asking, but, why does it bug you?
Just curious! :D
It bugs me because the attitude from the guitar manufacturers is that as women we can only have specific types of products marketed towards us. Why can't they market their "women's models" as a lighter/slimmer model..and leave it at that? Why does it *have* to be exclusively for women? (I'm not talking about daisy rock brands, but rather the mainstream manufacturers like gibson and fender.)

*shrugs*

I think it's really great that there are more options for those of us who have smaller hands, but it bugs me that as far as the guitar makers are concerned it could only be women who would benefit.

ReplyQuote
(@nottheguy)
Estimable Member

Don't forget these:

Its a great thing when you realize you still have the ability to surprise yourself.

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

LOL! I think I'll have to pass on a "Hello Kitty" Squier! :D But, that's the perfect thing to get preteen girls interested in playing! :D

¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Hey, I signed up in a raffle for one of those! A 10 year old girl won it. I was heartbroken.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

I've never had trouble reaching around the fret board. At 6' I'm taller than my dad.

I really don't really think they are for women really. They have slim necks but looking around the Gibson website, the New Century series have the same necks. So there is no reason why a man couldn't get a Les Paul Goddess. My friend has a pink Flying V. It looks good on him. And I hate him because I want one!

So the conclusion I draw is while they are marketed to us, anyone can play one. Hey, if you are a guy, you like purple and slim necks, why not get one?

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Well said, OWA! :D

¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´

ReplyQuote
(@bourgeoisbabe)
Trusted Member

Will they be called "Liz Paulas"? :lol: :lol:

LOL greybeard.

I am glad they are finally seeing that there is a market out there. My guitar seems to suit me well, but have seen some with such fat necks (the design of the back of the neck makes all the difference also) they look like you could hop from string to string with your feet! Also the back of the neck on my guitar is a satin finish which reduces friction, I like that.

Life pushes hard. Push back.

ReplyQuote
(@bourgeoisbabe)
Trusted Member

Hey, I signed up in a raffle for one of those! A 10 year old girl won it. I was heartbroken.
Sorry you didn't win your guitar. I signed up to win a taylor I think, but didn't win it either. Oh well.

Life pushes hard. Push back.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Sorry you didn't win your guitar. I signed up to win a taylor I think, but didn't win it either. Oh well.Thanks, BB! You win some, you lose some: https://www.guitarnoise.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=9744
:D

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@tamhin)

Hi

Is there anyone on this post that has seen or played the Gibson Goddess?

It was love at first sight for me looking at this guitar on Gibson's website. But I'm wondering what it feels and sounds like to a guitar player.

I live in Australia and there are none available here yet … best advice I can get from the Oz distributor is that they're at least three months away from arriving here.

So I was thinking of maybe buying one over the Internet. It's a Les Paul, how could I go wrong, but then, it's a lot of money to buy untried.

(I'm about to read all the terms and conditions on http://www.sweetwater.com/store/search.php?s=Gibson+Les+Paul+Goddess&tt=1&go=Go%21 )
Couple of things that I'm wondering about that I thought some of you might know:

1. At 7 pounds, does it really feel that much lighter than a Les Paul Standard which is 9 pounds?

2.Can you see the weight relief holes that are drilled into the body (i.e. do they detract from the guitar's appearance)?

3. If the guitar is 2% smaller over all, does it look small (strange)?

4. Would it be an inconvenience to only have one volume and one tone control?

5. What style of music would it be best suited to? I need something versatile, as I play in a covers band.

6. Are there any issues I need to be aware of if I buy the guitar over the net, i.e. someone told me the electronics are different for Oz than for the US and that I need to ensure I get one that's suitable. He didn't elaborate, so not sure what he meant. Sounds a bit odd to me.

7. Given it's not full size, and niche marketed toward women, might that limit the re-sale market if I want to sell it later on?

8. I like the Rose Burst colour in the photo – but is it closer to pink or red in real life – I like red, but if it's really pink, then I would rather get the Ice Burst colour (white with the wood grain back).

I'm not tall, and have small hands. I like the versatile sounds of Fender Strats and Teles, but they look a little big on me, and I'm still searching for one that has a slim, fast neck (for my small hands) … any tips?

The normal Les Pauls are just too heavy for me and I don't like the shape of the SGs (personal preference).

So, when I saw the Goddess, I was sitting there thinking “just hit Add to Cart” …

Is there anyone with first hand experience on this guitar that could help me out with some opinions?

There don't seem to be many consumer reviews on them, given they're quite new I guess. But it scored Number 1 on Electric Guitar Review's Top 10 Guitars For Girls http://www.electric-guitar-review.com/2006/06/07/top-10-guitars-for-girls/

There's another more detailed review on http://www.epinions.com/content_241496657540

Thanks in advance.

ReplyQuote
(@banre)
Reputable Member

Am I the only guy on here that looked at those guitars and thought, "Hey, that's sweet. I'd play the hell outta it." ?

The whole marketing for men and women really bugs me, too. Case in point: my deodorant. I have used Degree for years. A very subdued scent. I think it was "Sport" or whatever, but not overwhelming. Last time I was out and had to buy some, I was in for a shock. Degree has separted into Men's and Women's lines. "Ok, fine, I'll just fine the old scent and go on," I tell myself. Nope, not gonna happen. Looking at ALL the men's, they were these new, musky, overbearing smells that I couldn't stand. So I started looking through the women's and found exactly what I was looking for. The same kind I used before, just marketed exclusively for women.

The moral: I use women's deodorant and am proud of it! These companies need to relax and just provide the variety of products without trying to push it to one gender or the other.

Unseen Evidence
UE Reverb Nation Page

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

I wouldn't go as far as pink or hello kitty, but I'd play most of those quite happily. I have huge hands but still prefer a short scale, and that purple on the Gibson is gorgeous :)

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@stardust)
Eminent Member

I agree with riotgeek and banre that they should be marketed as lighter/slimmer, not specifically for women, although it's only marketing in the end, and a guitar's a guitar regardless of what it says on the box. I'm glad there's a lighter Les Paul around as I'd love one but just can't lift the standard ones for very long without pain. Not that I can afford one, but I'm glad it exists. :)

ReplyQuote
(@racetruck1)
Honorable Member

Actually, I have VERY small hands and a slight(but manly! :roll: ) build, I always loved the sound of Les Pauls but hated wearing them for long periods of time because of the weight, also most of the guitars I have sport slim necks and most LP's i've seen or played had rather thick necks. I did play one of the Goddess series guitars at GW and really thought that it sounded really nice, a nice woody sound sorta like an ES335 but with that typical LP "kerang!" when I dug in, I would have no problem playing one of these and the price isn't bad at all for a Gibby.

I also have pictures of Les Paul and Mary Ford with Les holding his namesake guitar and Mary holding a SG style Les Paul. (I think this is where Gibson came up with that famous TV yellow color because it would show up better on B+W TV.)

I always wondered why someone didn't come up with the idea of a line of guitars designed for women, in high school all those centurys ago the school orchestra had some really talented girl musicians who, on graduation, quit playing altogether. My younger sister was a really talented trumpet player who played in the Pittsburgh All School Orchestra and the day she graduated put away her $1000.00 Sterling silver trumpet and never picked it up again. She told me years later that when she tried to pick up the guitar she couldn't find a teacher that would actually treat her seriously and she quit.

Funny, when I have a music theory question I call her up and she answers it like a professional teacher with examples and applications.

Unfortunately, when she was looking, I was already about 1500 miles away and couldn't help her or teach her, now she's the one who lives a good distance away and it's rare that I see her except on holidays.

But to end on a more positive note, one of my other nieces has expressed interest in playing and has asked me to help. Sooooo....

Call it karma, I'm really looking forward to it!

By the way, she keeps looking at my SG with a gleam in her eye........

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming......
like the passengers in his car.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 4