(@p0rr)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

from Boston.com

Patty Larkin's ‘‘La Guitara'' project makes sure women guitarists get their due
http://www.boston.com/ae/events/articles/2006/03/29/guitar_heroines/

(@saber)
Reputable Member

That sounds interesting. Although I'll idmit it, even after reading the article I'm not exactally sure what La Guitara is. It really just seems to be a motive right now.

"Like the coldest winter chill. Heaven beside you. Hell within." -Jerry Cantrell

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

I've been checking out La Guitara for a while now! It is actually an online magazine and they have released a CD comprised of cutting edge (past and present) female guitarists. The home page is here.... http://www.pattylarkin.com/laguitara/ And here is a .pdf download of an interview with Patty Larkin, Kaki King, Muriel Anderson and Mimi Fox in Acoustic Guitar magazine about La Guitara.... http://www.pattylarkin.com/laguitara/ac-guitar.pdf

And, here's the first paragraph of the homepage, written by Patty Larkin:

"The goal of this project is to better define the contribution of women to the history of modern guitar. I have been asked repeatedly, "Why are there no great female guitar players?" The answer is, there are. Demographics are changing as young girls and women take up the instrument with increasing dedication and commitment to technique and repertoire. It is my belief that women guitarists of the past played a part in the evolution of the instrument and that their story is largely untold. I also believe that there are women guitarists today who are actively changing our preconceptions about gender and guitar heroes. This project is dedicated to these artists, past and present, waiting to be discovered, needing to be heard."

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@violet-s)
Reputable Member

Thanks Porr and Elecktra for the links :)

ReplyQuote
(@tim_madsen)
Prominent Member

I'm disappointed, no mention of MayBelle Carter the pioneer of lead guitar, years before Memphis Minnie. :cry:

Tim Madsen
Nobody cares how much you know,
until they know how much you care.

"What you keep to yourself you lose, what you give away you keep forever." -Axel Munthe

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

True........ but they're all over Memphis Minnie!!! :D

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Memphis Minnie rocks!

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote