Notifications
Clear all

Guitar Straps for women

9 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@dstille8)
Topic starter  

I'm a beginning female guitarist. So happy to find this forum section dedicated to the ladies! Anyway, just wondering what guitar straps you use. What do you look for in a good strap? I find I'm more into the look and design of the strap more so than function/comfort. Yes, so vain! There also seems to be a range in price... $10-$100. Anything I should look for in particular when purchasing one?

(@notes_norton)
Noble Member

I'm not female so I didn't vote and I can't speak for the female guitarist in our duo. However I believe she feels the same way that I do about it.

1) Function - it has to be strong, and not slip off the guitar too easily

2) Comfort - we both like 3" wide fabric straps - the shoulder likes that - and if it is comfortable, it allows the musician to play better

3) Looks - after the first two requirements are met, we go for looks. My partner prefers the guitar strap to blend into her outfit, and she usually wears black on stage, so the guitar strap is black. I like them to be seen, but I'm not all that picky. One guitar has a 'loud' strap, and the guitar I use most is black (when it wears out I'll get something more colorful).

Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton

Owner, Norton Music http://www.nortonmusic.com Add-on Styles for Band-in-a-Box and Microsoft SongSmith

The Sophisticats http://www.s-cats.com >^. .^< >^. .^<

ReplyQuote
(@s1120)
Prominent Member

OK so not female also... but figure what the heck...

Looks are cool.... but if you cant wear it for more then 5 min, and the guitar slipps and falls, and snapps the neck off on the ground.. its useless. Function HAS to be number 1... if it doesnt do its job.... it might as well be a pretty nick nack hanging from the wall. Comfort.... Well Im new to the strap world... I wear one once in a wile just to get use to standing wile playing... So your looking 10-20 min tops at this point in my world.. That being said, I had one that within 5 min I was tossing it accross the room!!!! Back to.... "if it doesnt do its job.... it might as well be a pretty nick nack hanging from the wall"

Now looks... ya, it matters... But I would never buy a strap that doesnt fit in the first two catagorys first. As for price.... well I know I wont be buying a $100 guitar strap!!! I have one that was free, one that was less then 20 bucks [BTW the one that works and feels the best!!!] and one that was 35 bucks..

Paul B

ReplyQuote
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

I'm not female either, but I know quite few!

Comfort above EVERYTHING (unstable straps aren't comfortable)! I prefer a wide strap that distributes the weight across a wide area. I'm performing often, and when you have a guitar slung over your shoulder for the better part of four hours, it's amazing how much difference a wider strap makes.

My preference tends to run to leather with the "shoulder" side sueded or raw.

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote
(@ezraplaysezra)
Honorable Member

Again, not a women.

I have never bought a guitar strap, they tend to find me - I use an original Gretsch - brown leather strap that they used to supply as case candy - it came with a '67 ralleye that I sold. Number one priority - it has to hold a guitar 2) it shouldn't cost any money or as little as possible 3) some people really like snazzy straps and will disregard 1st two criteria and that is why there are 500 options for every aspect of guitardom important or otherwise. (see pick cases) You'll get used to uncomfortable if you really like it (people pay big money for ES 175's and they are uncomfortable as hell- but so nice).

On a useful note: I use the rubber stoppers from the ceramic top type beer bottles like Grolsh after the strap on the strap pin. Very secure and again, super cheep. We guitar players have lots of items to buy - better to save the dollars for strings and picks chords and batteries - those are the things that will kill you slowly in price and absence.

ReplyQuote
(@hobson)
Noble Member

There really are some women on this forum. I voted for comfort. Only problem is that it's hard to figure out what is comfortable until you've used the strap for a while. Generally, wider is better. Make sure that when you have the strap adjusted to fit you that any buckles aren't in places that are going to be irritating. Most of my straps are ancient, so I can't make a specific recommendation.

For most of my straps, I add a quick release system. Keeps me from fumbling around getting the strap on and off.

Renee

ReplyQuote
(@notes_norton)
Noble Member

Good advice Renee, and that goes for either gender - and not only about straps.

Holding the guitar around your knees is going to make sure you aren't playing your best, as you cannot do with your hands what you can do if the guitar was held properly for you. Buying an uncomfortable guitar because you think it looks good will have the same effect. And buying a strap that irritates you will do the same thing.

Remember, first of all you are playing music. After that entertaining is important. Unless you have tons of national promotion, the entertaining (costumes, gyrations or not, postures, etc.) won't do you much good if you can't play well. That doesn't mean ignore the entertaining, it just shouldn't be done at the expense of your music. Of course, that's my own opinion.

BTW, the female guitarist in my duo uses a 3" wide soft fabric strap and a Parker PM10 guitar.

Bob "Notes" Norton

Owner, Norton Music http://www.nortonmusic.com Add-on Styles for Band-in-a-Box and Microsoft SongSmith

The Sophisticats http://www.s-cats.com >^. .^< >^. .^<

ReplyQuote
(@diceman)
Reputable Member

Function is the most important . It has to hold your guitar at a comfortable spot for you to play it in .Preferably it should also not fall off the strap onto the floor and break something you're going to need . I always buy strap locks to prevent this from happening . That having been said , almost any strap will do those things for you (with strap locks installed) . The next thing I look for is comfort . Wider is better . A wider strap spreads the weight of the guitar out and allows you to play longer without discomfort . With those things satisfied , looks come into play . This is where you can make a statement about you or your band , music , personality , etc . The LAST thing I worry about is price ! It's not because I'm so rich (I'm not) . It's about maximising the enjoyment of playing music and being happy .

If I claim to be a wise man , it surely means that I don't know .

ReplyQuote
(@hobson)
Noble Member

I recently bought a strap that I can adjust so it's short enough for any of my guitars, no matter where the strap buttons are. It's 2" wide. Thought I'd pass the information along. I'm sure it's available from a variety of stores.

http://elderly.com/accessories/items/STP2.htm

Renee

ReplyQuote