I'm new!

14 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@mogal)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Hey everyone,
I'm new to this forum, though not to Guitar Noise. I absolutely love this site. I always would come to the forum to look for answers to questions and finally yesterday I posted a question on the Live Sound board. It was amazing how quickly people responded! I got about 10 responses within a few hours! Anyway, one of them suggested I come over and post on "The Other Side" to check out all the female musicians.

I am currently in an all-mom band, Momentary Girls, in St. Louis. I play the guitar, most all the lead stuff, as well as sing. I also can play a little bass, keyboard, and bongos as well. We don't play out a lot because we are busy with being moms and working real jobs, but we try to play every couple months someplace. Anyway, if there are any of you gals that know about sound stuff, let me know. We always have questions about that. I will continue to post my questions over at the Live Sound forum, but just thought I'd throw it out here too!

Catch ya later.

Robin

MoGal

(@margaret)
Noble Member

Welcome, MoGal! Sounds like you have quite a bit of experience and can probably help some of us around here, too.

What type of music does your band play?

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

Welcome! (I'm not a memner of the other side club, but thought I'd say hello anyway :wink:)

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@mogal)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

We play covers mostly, from 60's-current. You can go to our website ( http://www.momentarygirls.com ) and see our songlist, but stuff like REM, Sheryl Crow, Neil Young, CSNY, etc. Anyway, we have a few originals but songwriting is not my strength. I've written only two songs and both are introspective and personal, so they are not necessarily big crowd pleasers! Barb (another bandmate) is much more light-hearted in her writing. She has four songs she's written for the band - one is called Walmart!

Anyway, feel free to ask me anything - not sure if I can help. I have been playing guitar for about 30 years! My strength is in fingerpicking and rythem, but when I took up with a band a few years ago, somebody needed to take on the "lead guitar" role, and that has been me. I would like to do a little less of that because it is does not come real easy to me. I'm pretty lazy about trying to learn the scales and modes and all that theory stuff. I was taking some lessons for awhile with a very cute guitar teacher but found I was really wasting my money because he wanted to teach me all the theory stuff and all the real stuff that I need to know to play well and I found that I was too busy learning songs for the band that I didn't have time to really put what he was teaching me to good use.

I do have one of those Tascam Guitar Player training devices which has been VERY helpful for figuring out solos and licks and things like that.

Anyway, thanks for the welcome! I will try to check the forum out more now.

Robin

MoGal

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member

Nice website, and I enjoyed the soundclips!

I vaguely remember in the last year or so, either reading a magazine article (Play Guitar mag, or Making Music mag maybe??) or seeing a tv feature on an all-mom band. Could that have been Momentary Girls or the precursor group?

For beginning guitarists like me (also a 40-something mom), you and your bandmates are a real inspiration. :D

Margaret

ReplyQuote
(@mogal)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

That wasn't us - probably "The Midols".
anyway, we did have a local paper do an article on us and we were on KSDK's Show Me St. Louis last summer.

MoGal

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member

Yes, I think it was the Midols--the name rings a bell.

I don't believe there are too many of us women (at least those who post regularly) here on the forum who are in bands. Elecktrablue is one, but I can't think of any others off hand.

Maybe you'll consider getting involved with the Online Jams and Collaborations. I participated in my first one a few months ago and it was fun.

Margaret

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Welcome, MoGal.

I'd say enjoy your stay on the forums but I see that is already happening.

Hope to see you around. :D

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
(@urbancowgirl)
Reputable Member

Hi MoGal. :)
I am fairly new here as well. I'm just learning so I read a lot more than I post.
I went to the Momentary Girls website and you all sound great. I'm 37 and I just started learning to play and like Maragret said, you gals are an inspiration to the rest of us. I would love to find some people (especially other women) around here to play with.

All my life I wanted to be somebody. Now I see I should have been more specific.

ReplyQuote
(@prblack)
Eminent Member

Hi MoGal

Welcome to the forum! wow too bad i don't live in St. Louis, I'd love to come and hear your band :) I work as a sound technician, so if you have any questions, feel free to ask away:)

prblack

ReplyQuote
(@mogal)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for all the positive feedback everyone. And thanks for offering future sound advice prblack. I don't know how many of you guys are moms, but I actually met the first bandmate through my kid's preschool about 5 years ago! Things just evolved from there. I played a lot of music back in highschool and college, but after that I got into real life stuff, like getting a job, graduate degree and then focusing on marriage and family. In other words, I had put my guitar away for 15 years. I actually played a 12-string Alvarez way back then. I still have that guitar now, but since I got with these other gals I have bought myself 4 more guitars! I have a Martin Sigma Acoustic/Electric 6 string, a Hamer hollow-bodied electric, a Baby Taylor (very cute, and fits in the luggage compartment on airplanes) and now an Epiphone bass! That does not include all the equipment I've invested in as well! Anyway, it has been a great way to deal with mid-life!

MoGal

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Hi Robin & welcome aboard! 8)

I checked out your band's web site and you all are really good. Hope to see/hear you around the boards. :D

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
 Gina
(@gina)
Estimable Member

I have been playing guitar for about 30 years! My strength is in fingerpicking and rythem, but when I took up with a band a few years ago, somebody needed to take on the "lead guitar" role, and that has been me. I would like to do a little less of that because it is does not come real easy to me. I'm pretty lazy about trying to learn the scales and modes and all that theory stuff. I was taking some lessons for awhile with a very cute guitar teacher but found I was really wasting my money because he wanted to teach me all the theory stuff and all the real stuff that I need to know to play well and I found that I was too busy learning songs for the band that I didn't have time to really put what he was teaching me to good use.

I do have one of those Tascam Guitar Player training devices which has been VERY helpful for figuring out solos and licks and things like that.

Anyway, thanks for the welcome! I will try to check the forum out more now.

Robin

Holy cow you sound like me! No, I'm not a mom. But I've been playing the guitar for 30 years also. I was in a duo and one of us really needed to learn lead, so that was me. It didn't come easily to me and my guitar teach also tried to teach me via theory, etc and that just didn't work. I'm lazy with my scales too. I discovered, though, that I have a really good ear and it's really easy for me to learn lead by ear. And YES! I have a Tascam Guitar player device for playing along with CD's and learning leads, too! Were we separated at birth or something?!? Wow!

Nice to meet you. An all-mom band sounds really cool! I'll check out your website.

Gina

"And if you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." -- George Harrison

ReplyQuote
(@mogal)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Yep, I do the same thing in terms of learning lead parts. It is weird, because I was always good at learning by ear and yet I have a high frequency hearing loss in both my ears. When I play out, I am much more comfortable without using music, yet I have to have the music there for security I guess. I never look at it though! Everything is in my head!

I do wish I would learn more of the theory stuff though - I just don't have the time. That way I would be able to ad-lib if called upon.

MoGal

ReplyQuote