Notifications
Clear all

Inspiration

21 Posts
14 Users
0 Likes
(@corbind)
Noble Member

Hey Delphine, first off, nice playing! Your fingers seem to dance fluidly over the fretboard and you dig the whammy bar.

I assumed incorrectly that men would follow/look up to/be inspired by male icons and females would be the same for female icons. It's obvious my logic isn't right.

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote
(@delphine)

Hi Corbind,

Thanks for the kind words. And yes, I do love my bar (and my wah, but that's another story). :)

You've confirmed what I suspected all along. When you think about it, it doesn't really make sense for girls to exclusively look up to other girls when it comes to something like music. Without the visual aspect, there's really no way to tell if a player is male or female, right? But thanks to MTV and (now) the Internet, the visual has become much more important than it was in the past. It will be interesting to see if things will even out more in the future, or if the male-female split become more prominent.

Delphine

http://www.lorilinstruth.com

ReplyQuote
(@betsy)

alanis morrisette, jewel, pj harvey, jill sobule....yeh women who rock, erm well ROCK!

But, my inspiration guitar (and musically) wise comes from:

Chris Cornell
Jeff Buckley
Billy Corgan
Powderfinger
Neil Young
Jimmy Page
............ all those fellas that go off..

oh yeh and Mark Tremonti and the Edge from U2 (he's mental)

ReplyQuote
(@surfbluewavesbc)
Trusted Member

Think about more women play guitars now then ever. And maybe someday us girls will be the ones buying the most guitars.
Here are some guitar players and thanks to tv everyone heard of them
-Avril Lavigne
-Sherly Crow
-Shannia Twain
and many more. I am a women myself. I feel that its not what gender you are its what you put into it.

ReplyQuote
(@notborntodoit)

Bjork is sheer heaven! Sheryl Crowe! i can sit for hours enthralled by her voice and style of palying those strings! :)

Courtney Love! despite all her faults ! Malibu and Celebrity Skin- two songs thats till move me! more than most songs! :)

oh! and Dolores O Riordan! :))))))))) Crannberries No Need To Argue is MasterPiece! :))))))))) such simple and sweet songs, melodies and lyrics ain't bad either! :))))))))))

"History", Stephen said, "is a nightmare from which I am trying to awake."

-James Joyce, Ulysses.

ReplyQuote
(@riotgeek)

Listening to bands like Bikini Kill, Hole & Sleater-Kinney in my late teens started me thinking that 'I can do this too.'

More specifically, Corin Tucker has been my biggest inspiration in terms of getting out there and learning guitar, knowing that if I want to start a band, if I want to just get out there and play music I can do it.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2