Notifications
Clear all

Newbe girl - beginner

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@girl_loves_vintage)
Topic starter  

I'm a very beginner player. I have been teaching myself to play for about 3 months now and am completely addicted! Also, I quickly developed a love for vintage acoustic guitars and I now have a collection of 2. My first purchase was a 1979 Guild D25M - dark mahogany-sounds amazing-looks amazing. I started learning on the Guild, but soon realized that it didn't fit my body too well (I'm 5' 7"-but cursed with large breasts) and the big dreadnought was too cumbersome for learning. Recently I was fortunate enough to purchase a 1956 Martin 0-18 in excellent condition -all original, no neck reset. This guitar fits me perfectly, plays like a dream and offers a full sound not unlike the big Guild. This Martin has inspired me to practice more -as it is far more comfortable and manageable. I still love my Guild and hope to one day play it as comfortably as this Martin.
I would love to post photos of my vintages - but I'm uncertain if that's acceptable here.....

I'm an old "deadhead" and jerry garcia is boss! I would like to play folk/bluegrass/fingerpicking style and I aspire to play lead. Lead is most appealing as I'm an experienced lead, solo, trumpet/soprano player alumni of a professional drum & bugle corps. I have already seen how this past experience has accelerated my learning and focus. I feel very fortunate to already have music theory and music reading skills under my belt -- like I have a slight advantage -- and I'm picking up Tableture rapidly. I am confident that I will reach my musical goals with the support of a network of players like those here at guitarnoise.com

At this point I'm heavily researching anything and everything related to learning to play and becoming acquainted with guitar makers; their history; models and numbers produced; reviews by players and anything else I come across interesting. You could say that I have really jumped into this new world running - and I love it! I am most excited to have found a forum that provides a gathering place for women players to discuss our unique insights and obstacles. I'm learning that female players are a minority by comparison, but now there's a place where I feel I can relate more and talk more freely about certain subjects - thanks. Yeah - Girls unite!!

So I appreciate any info, tips, lessons, reading materials, songs, web sites and personal experiences that anyone wants to share with me - I'm a "sponge". I look forward to becoming a part of this community......

1979 Guild D25M
1956 Martin 0-18

Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Welcome to the GN forums.

Sounds like you have some very nice guitars, for starters.

You most certainly can post pictures. It's also highly encouraged and if you feel so inclined you can join the song writers club and in other parts of the forum offer any information to the rest of us that you feel like offering! There is even an On-line Collaboration" section if you want to join in on some of the jams.

Lots to do around here.

Enjoy your stay!

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
(@girl_loves_vintage)
Topic starter  

Thank you for the warm reception! Man, I love this place!! Photos of my vintages are now posted under the "Meet and Greet" section if anyone is interested in checking them out.....

1979 Guild D25M
1956 Martin 0-18

ReplyQuote