Notifications
Clear all

Ovation Guitars

17 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
(@cputrbug)
Topic starter  

Does anyone use Ovation acoustic/electric guitars? What are your thoughts on them?

I've tried them out in the music store and the sound is a lot brighter than my standard Fender. They are quite expensive, so before I throw down my $$ I'd like to get some feedback from people who have used/owned them.

Thanks!!

(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

I love the sound and you can change it pretty easily by just changing strings. I've never really heard them described as bright.

I don't own a six string O now, but I do have a twelve. You should check out the new contour backs while you are at it.

http://www.ovationfanclub.com has a lot of info and some good deals on used Os in their trading forum.

ReplyQuote
(@akflyingv)
Honorable Member

I've always liked them because I don't have very big hands and the neck feels more like an electric, atleast on some models.

ReplyQuote
(@cputrbug)
Topic starter  

I noticed that the neck felt different, but I just thought it was because the body is so different that it "fit" differently. I really have to stretch on my Fender to play the low E notes, but was able to reach them easier on the Ovation.

ReplyQuote
 Gina
(@gina)
Estimable Member

I have an Ovation but truthfully the only reason I have it is that I bought it off a friend and it wasn't too expensive. I think it's got a great sound, and I like it because the neck isn't as wide as my other acoustic (Sigma).

I tell a bad joke with mine...I stand it up on its end and ask, "What is this?" And of course the answer is.....wait for it.....a "standing Ovation."

*booooo hissssss* :lol:

"And if you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." -- George Harrison

ReplyQuote
(@cputrbug)
Topic starter  

Cute!

ReplyQuote
(@ririzarry)
Eminent Member

I have one of their lower end Applause models and I like the sound. I suppose its a bit on the bright side but I like that. The neck is comfortable though it still doesn't feel like an electric neck to me. Just make sure you're going to be comfortable with the bowl shaped back.

Regards,

Rob

Building the Ergonomic Guitar

Guitar Designs. Ergonomics. Guitar Making.

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

I had experienced some GAS on an Ovation recently and went looking around for some.

I was horrified at what I saw. On more than one occassion I noticed severe cracking with the tops of the Ovations. From what I have been told, and by more than one person, since the backs are plastic and the fronts are wood, they back won't allow the front to expand and contract naturally due to the rigidity of the plastic backs.

I don't know if this is a product wide epidemic but talk about disappointment.

I might still buy one but that was a mental setback, nonetheless.

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
(@crkt246)
Honorable Member

I don't have one but I have played one and it played nice and sounded good even thuoth it was out tune. :|

ReplyQuote
(@bluezoldy)
Reputable Member

My biggest problem is that mine keeps slipping of my lap because of that rounded plastic back. I wouldn't buy another one because of this.

My guitar teacher has the same problem and has stuck on rubber strips around the base of his.

♪♫ Ron ♪♫

http://www.myspace.com/bluemountainsblues

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member

I've owned an Ovation Applause accoustic/electric for 25+ years now. Never had a problem with cracking or anything like that. The sound is not as bright as other guitars but that has not been a problem. In fact, it's got more of a melow sound than others. It's the only accoustic I've ever owned. Love the sound, feel and everything. Although I have been GASing for a Taylor or Martin lately. Just need to save up my pennies for one of those!

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

ReplyQuote
(@scrybe)
Famed Member

yeah, I'll echo the comment about the guitar slipping due to its curved shape. I've never really had that problem myself, but a few of my friends have complained about this when they've played mine.

I haven't tried this with other acoustics, but for a while my dad strung my/his ovation with classical strings and it has a really nice tone this way, as well as with steel strings, so you might want to consider that, depending on what styles you want to play and your level of skill/budget.

one thing you might want to ask more, um, experienced players on the site is about the microphone inside the guitar. mine is from 1978, and the electronics aren't as reliable as i'd like. fortunately I just play it around the house (i'm terrified of it getting nicked/broken), but if you want to gig with it, make sure the current models have decent electrics. i'm assuming they would do, but it is something ppl tend to overlook/neglect when buying an acoustic compared with buying an electric.

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

ReplyQuote
(@bluezoldy)
Reputable Member

yeah, I'll echo the comment about the guitar slipping due to its curved shape...
I should have mentioned that I also have a rather ... uummmm... curved shape called middle-age spread which I'm sure doesn't help. :)

♪♫ Ron ♪♫

http://www.myspace.com/bluemountainsblues

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Unfortunately two convex curves don't fit together well. :lol:

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

That's what we need to invent, the DSD guitar. The back is dreadnaught on the edges of the top and bottom bout and solid body at the soundhole. Designed to fit the older, less fit player. We'd make a fortune.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2