Forum

Notifications
Clear all

"Position" Problem

Page 1 / 2

(@undercat)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

I'm not sure how to politely phrase this question, so please bear with me.

I've started teaching a gal beginner guitar, she's dedicated and picking things up quickly, but there's somewhat of a problem with the position she holds the guitar.

It's a full sized acoustic type guitar, and when she sits, it always looks like she has to hold it away from her body, but it's actually because her... chest is getting in the way. I guess this isn't a female exclusive issue, as a highly overweight person might have the same issue with their stomach, but I haven't encountered that yet.

So how do all the full figured female guitarists deal with that? I've encouraged her to hold the guitar flat relative to the front of her body, and not to hunch over, but that seems to make her wrist bend too much.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Do something you love and you'll never work a day in your life...

(@noteboat)
Famed Member

I worked with a banjo player years ago who must have weight about 400# or so (and he was maybe 5'6" tall). His banjo was darn near horizontal to his body - but he was one fine player!

The wrist is the key, as you've noted. With the thumb behind the neck and the wrist pretty straight, try to find the best position you can. Most likely she'll have the neck angled out a bit more than a person with average build, but you'll be able to find some compromise of guitar body angle, guitar neck angle, and 'tilt' (for lack of a better term) that gives her the best playing position given her physical characteristics.

Some folks, like the banjo player, aren't structured for perfect playing position. That's just something to work around - they can still become very good musicians.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@undercat)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Thanks Tom. It's good to hear from one more experienced that it's okay to make small compromises in the name of sanity.

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Does she play acoustic or electric? As a rather "well endowed" female I find that when I play acoustic I have to either strap my guitar at a height that allows me to hold it at the correct angle that allows my right boob to "sit" in the curve of the guitar, or just lower the whole thing and adjust my fretting and strumming. (I find it easier the first way.) With an electric, it's not an issue.

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

that allows my right boob to "sit" in the curve of the guitar

Sooooo, that's what it's for.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@undercat)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

She plays exclusively acoustic at the moment. I don't think it will be a problem with electric, as you mentioned.

I'm not quite comfortable enough to say "hey, try putting your boob right there". But I'll keep it mind.

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Famed Member

Sooooo, that's what it's for

I just about spit my coffee at the monitor, Greybeard.... because what popped into my mind is that the guitar is a unisex instrument, which means the curve on the bottom must be for....

:)

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Sooooo, that's what it's for

I just about spit my coffee at the monitor, Greybeard.... because what popped into my mind is that the guitar is a unisex instrument, which means the curve on the bottom must be for....

:)

Glad I could give y'all a laugh!! :D Hope your monitor's OK!

¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@undercat)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

I can see my attempt at a politely phrased question was not needed!

Now if no one mentions jack plates or top contours, I think we can still get out of here alive... :D

ReplyQuote
(@tim_madsen)
Honorable Member

I would think that playing while standing would be easier. I've seen Dolly Parton play both sitting and standing, her breasts never seemed to be a problem for her. She could really pick before she grew those long finger nail.

Tim Madsen
Nobody cares how much you know,
until they know how much you care.

"What you keep to yourself you lose, what you give away you keep forever." -Axel Munthe

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

I would think that playing while standing would be easier. .

Absolutely! It is MUCH easier to play an acoustic standing. It reduces the "boob involvement" greatly! :D

¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´

ReplyQuote
(@coatbutton)

I'm lucky I prefer to play electric, because I do have trouble with my Dad's acoustic. If she's sitting on the edge of her chair with a strap on the guitar, she should be able to drop one knee and let the guitar hang a little lower than her natural lap. That gives you the best of both standing and sitting.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

:)"Real Men" don't need guitar straps.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member

Ricochet wrote: "Real Men" don't need guitar straps.
My turn to spit coffee!!!

Gotta love it........

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

ReplyQuote
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

I can't find the thread which showed the custom guitars for pregnant ladies and others with custom contouring needs - it fits in with this thread quite well.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2