practice practice practice

7 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@blue_turnip)
Topic starter  

hi, I'm new to this forum (and so glad to have found it!),
so first of all: hello everyone!

I wonder if you'd have some word of advice for a kind of repatriate...
I picked up my guitar again a couple of weeks ago after a hiatus of 10 years - I used to play classic guitar (never used a pick, nylon strings only, etc.) but got tired of it - mind you, it was basic training of some sort..

now I mess around with a steel string acoustic Fender and just passed the point of sore fingertips. Problem is, I find my practicing highly ineffective. There are SO many things to learn out there, thousands of chords, rhythmic patterns, songs, styles... I feel like a sponge soaking up all the information available. But reading it online or on printout or a book and play it once doesnt get the stuff in my "repertoire"...

What usually happens is that I start practicing a chord progression or the intro of a song, then try some strumming patterns and end up doodle-strum-picking in a blues pattern while watching tv. Quite relaxing, but not getting me much further...

So what are your practicing schedules? Do you learn chords by heart and then play just Major 7th for warm up? any tricks and tips on how to stay focused would be highly apreciated!

thanks for reading this far
tata
-- turnip

geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

Hiyas Turnip. Glad you found us.

I think when you are seriously practicing, not just goofing, it is very important to turn the TV off. I usually start with some scales just to warm up. For practicing chords, I usually try to find a song that has the chords I am interested in and then I will slowly commit that song to memory. In this way I learn the chords and I truely learn the song. If you just play it off of the sheet music or whatever then you will rely on the music and not commit it to memory (Atleast that has been my case). Sometimes I will take a little to focus on my strumming and see how different strumming patterns will change the sound of whatever I am playing. Thats about it for me really.

Most of all I just play to learn and enjoy myself. Dont try to keep up with anyones schedule but your own. Dont try to master the guitar by X number of days. Just keep a steady pace and practice daily if you can, even if its only for 15 or 30 minutes.

Hope that helps and welcome again
Jim

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@blue_turnip)
Topic starter  

I think when you are seriously practicing, not just goofing, it is very important to turn the TV off.

I thought the tv thing might look kinda bad...

thanx for the input and the welcome, jim!

ReplyQuote
(@tim_madsen)
Prominent Member

Sounds like you need to do some reflecting and then set some goals. Decide what type of music you want to play. Then search out and learn the skills you need to play that music. Also seek out other people to play with. It will vastly improve your playing. Music is ment to be shared. Welcome aboard :D

Tim Madsen
Nobody cares how much you know,
until they know how much you care.

"What you keep to yourself you lose, what you give away you keep forever." -Axel Munthe

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Welcome to GuitarNoise, Turnip! We look forward to seeing you around the forums! :D

Here are a few GN articles about practice that may get you going in the right direction.

https://www.guitarnoise.com/lessons/the-art-of-practice/
https://www.guitarnoise.com/topics/practice-tips/
https://www.guitarnoise.com/lessons/developing-a-practice-session/
https://www.guitarnoise.com/lessons/a-question-of-balance/

You can find pages and pages of more articles just by typing "practice tips" into the search box on the GN main page.

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@blue_turnip)
Topic starter  

thanx elecktrablue,
I´ll search the tipps and tricks and will come up with a plan!
:)

ReplyQuote
(@ginger)
Reputable Member

HI, And welcome to guitar noise,

I usually start of with finger exercises then move on to scales, then run through chords and practice any new chords I am learning then I work on songs I haven't learned all the way through then i will finish up by playing a couple of songs I already know. I know a few songs so i switch them up every day so I don't get bored playing the same 2 songs everyday. the only songs i do play everyday are those i'm trying to learn. This seems to give me a sense of improving. For me, doing it this way seems to keep things new and fresh.

Good luck,

ReplyQuote