Skip to content
So anyone here ever...

Notifications
Clear all

So anyone here ever play while pregnant?

33 Posts
15 Users
0 Likes
(@urbancowgirl)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I just found out about a month ago that I am pregnant with our first child. I'm due the beginning of October. :D
I have no problems now (other than being too sick to play) but I would imagine in the future trying to play my guitar could be...um...uncomfortable. Not to mention finding time once jr gets here, lol.
Any thoughts/suggestions?

All my life I wanted to be somebody. Now I see I should have been more specific.

(@margaret)
Noble Member

Congratulations, UCG!!!

I hadn't taken up guitar yet when I was pregnant, so I can't speak to that, but I'd say play all you can now, girl, cuz your life is going to change in ways you can't imagine. :D

Hope you get over the nausea soon.

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

ReplyQuote
(@eirraca)
Estimable Member

I have none whatsoever, but congrats!

Oh just saw your other reply about slide...might now be the time to do it? :D

ReplyQuote
(@urbancowgirl)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Ooo good suggestion Errica. I could rest in on my belly. :lol:

All my life I wanted to be somebody. Now I see I should have been more specific.

ReplyQuote
(@troush)

I didn't play guitar while I was pregnant - but it will probably depend on how you carry your baby as you get bigger. Some babies ride higher up, some spread out, some lower down. My girl spread out. I was big all around. My twin boys (I carried them 37 weeks!) rode up high. I put 65 pounds on my frame - they were 6lbs 8oz and 6lb 13oz when they were born. Again, I wasn't playing guitar either time, but I know with my boys, I could barely reach my fingertips around my stomach (I also couldn't fit behind the steering wheel of the minivan and still reach the pedals by about 8 months!).

Yes, play as much as you can now, as sleep deprivation doesn't lend itself well to doing anything musical. :) In fact, I would play as long as you can, as the baby can hear after some point, and if you have a cranky baby, sometimes hearing something they heard en-utero can calm them down. Learn some nice lullabys or something...

-Trish

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member

Oooh, yes, as Trish mentioned, play to the baby while you're pregnant! Perfect!

When I was pregnant with our eldest, I used to tape a soap (All My Children) and watch it every night after work. After she was born, it was OBVIOUS that she recognized the soap's theme music!! True story! She had heard that music many times in utero, and she recognized it! :shock:

BTW, I haven't watched any soaps since soon after that first child's birth. :lol:

Margaret

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Congratulations, UC!

If I can play guitar, you can play pregnant. :lol:

Seems to me I recall a thread in this forum addressing this topic not too long ago...

May have been a topic drift in a question about the problems of "well endowed" females...

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Well, well, well.

Check this thread out: https://www.guitarnoise.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=18487

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@rocker)
Noble Member

congrats uc, take it easy, don't lift heavy things and try to hold off untill the 28th of october, the greatest guitar player in the world was born on that day,
ME, hehehehe, just kidding, good for you and the mr. 8)

even god loves rock-n-roll

ReplyQuote
(@urbancowgirl)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

congrats uc, take it easy, don't lift heavy things and try to hold off untill the 28th of october, the greatest guitar player in the world was born on that day,
ME, hehehehe, just kidding, good for you and the mr. 8)
28th of October??? Um...no. While some day destined to be a famous date in history, that's just a bit past my due date. :wink:

Thanks Ricochet for the link, not sure how I missed that one. :)

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member

28th of October??? Um...no. While some day destined to be a famous date in history, that's just a bit past my due date. :wink:
UCG, first lesson of parenthood......YOU are no longer in charge. That baby may LIKE Oct 28, to hell with the due date! :lol:

Our son was 12 days overdue. He was 9 lbs, 14 oz. It was late July and hotter than Hades. You think I didn't want to kick him OUT of there?! Too bad, mommy, not coming out 'til I'm good and ready. :shock: :D

Margaret

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Congrats UCG! :D

Try learning some lullabies... may come in handy after the baby is born too. :wink:

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

I'm not pregnant, I just look it ;)
I don't think you'll have a problem

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

And you could always write it up as a lesson for the site. I'm sure David would be only to happy to put you on the front page

Congrats, too.

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@chuckster)
Prominent Member

Can't really offer any advice.

Just wanted to say congrats.

8)

I've had a lot of sobering thoughts in my time.
It was them that turned me to drink.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3