What do you play?

Notifications
Clear all

What do you play?

36 Posts
20 Users
0 Likes
(@riotgeek)

My first guitar was a black Fender Squier. It was sold to help fund a trip to Europe at the end of high school. My second was a seafoam green Fender Vista Venus. I loved it, was very, very sad to see it go. It was sold to help pay for my Grandma's hospital bills.

My current guitar is a Danelectro black metalflake DC-3. I love it, and I hope I never have to part with it. :)

ReplyQuote
(@juliagulia)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the replies ladies. It is fun to see what everyone plays. A new addition to my family arrived yesterday. She is a Luna Aurora, a very inexpensive I believe 3/4 guitar to keep at work so I can practice those darn chords at lunch. It beats watching Jerry Springer I assure you! What do y'all see as the advantages/disadvatages of playing different insturments while learning. I am only a couple of weeks into this. I don't want to ever feel like I can't pick up any guitar and play it, that I can only play "my" guitar, but at the same time I feel like when I switch guitars between lessons I am spending time readjusting for the different size guitars. Its getting late so I hope that made sense, if not let me know and I will rephrase. :wink:

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

i had a guitar teacher that had a real Gibson. I would go home and practice on my PRS then go to the lesson and play on his Gibson. I couldn't play it no matter what. I couldn't stand his guitar. It was really hard to play. I now have a bad idea of Gibson from that experience. thay're probably not all bad...or maybe i just couldn't play at all. Maybe I only thought I could!!! I don't know.

ReplyQuote
(@guitargeek214)
Trusted Member

Right now I own a really cheap Suzuki acoustic guitar. I bought it at a store for a really low price (the store was going out of buisness) but until then I didn't even know that there was such a thing as a Suzuki guitar. At least I never heard of them anyway. It isn't a bad guitar, though, although I will admit that it has taken a beating over the short time that I've been playing and pretty soon I'll probably be in need for another one.

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Nice guitar, Riotgeek! What do you play it through?

Juliagulia - Did you get the blue Aurora or one of the painted ones? They're nice looking guitars! I've looked at Luna's but have never played one. How does she play?
It IS odd to go from one guitar to another when you're first learning, but I think that, in the long run, it's a good thing to get used to the feel of different guitars, and the sooner you start doing it, the easier it will be for you to swap out when you need to (or just want to!). You never know, when you walk into someone's house and they find out that you're a player, that they don't have some strange guitar in a closet that they WILL pull out for you to show them what you can do! :D If you ever go electric, the same thing is going to happen because they feel and play so differently than an acoustic. (Which could lead to a discussion of playing while sitting or playing while standing, which are also two completely different "feeling" things that, sooner or later will have to be dealt with.) In my humble opinion! :D

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@juliagulia)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Electrablue

I got the mermaid painted one. I think it plays well and for the $60 I spent i couldn't be happier! It keeps tune very well and I am not terrified to take her out, or pass her around a room. I still need to change out the strings. They look pretty yucky and I know she'll sound even better after I do.

Julia

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member

We have five guitars at my house, shared between my son and I.

We both started on an Ibanez nylon string acoustic, then added a concert-size Ibanez and a solid mahogany Oscar Schmidt (both metal string acoustics), then saved up for a honey blond Hwy 1 Stratocaster, and finally a Hamer gold archtop.

None of these guitars are marketed specifically to women but the weight of the guitar was a definite factor to me in buying the electrics (lighter being better for me).

I think it's a great thing to pick up different guitars and get accustomed to playing them. In playing piano, I've always had a problem playing on unfamiliar instruments and wish I was more versatile that way.

When we first got the Hamer (being accustomed to the Strat), I felt awkward and couldn't play it as well due to different spacing, neck feel, etc. But I am learning to switch back and forth (and between acoustic and electric) more easily and I really enjoy the variety, choosing to suit my mood.

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

ReplyQuote
(@riotgeek)

Nice guitar, Riotgeek! What do you play it through?

At the moment it's being played through a Marshall MG practice amp as my original Fender amplifier recently blew up. :(

ReplyQuote
(@coatbutton)

I started playing on a fender squier passed down from my brother, but switched to a schecter omen-6 about six months ago. The schecter is very heavy, which was awkward at first, but the tone is great.

ReplyQuote
(@medarrah)
Estimable Member

Im a fender strat kinda person, as you can see in my pic.
<<
And a Black Washburn Acoustic, but Its now discontinued :(

(yay! just now a junior member! :D )

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

And, with only 50 more posts you'll be a Full Member!! :D

¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@medarrah)
Estimable Member

uug...... and here I was excited about this...

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

I did a search for anything on "Aria Prait" and found nothing! You've got me curious now, though! Are there any other markings on it? Any other names or words? I want to see what it is!!!! :D

¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´

ReplyQuote
(@heatherjocey)

Wow, Cloudy, that Aria is pretty!

I suppose my compact version of the current line of Ibanez exotic wood acoustics could be considered a "made-for-girls" guitar, as it's definatly a lot more comfortable for my arm's reach than the full sized model. I'm guessing it was at least subliminally Ibanez' intention, though I've never seen it marketed directly at the female market. In their ad's they've only got the fellas playing them. It works for me, though :)

ReplyQuote
(@hyunjae)
Trusted Member

Found it...

http://www.ariausa.com/titles/pe/pe.html

*EDIT*

Or not... either I didn't see the third page or the conversation continued while I was catching a Pokemon for my brother =x

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3