Clear all

What do you play?

36 Posts
20 Users
0 Likes
(@barbiesteel)
Eminent Member

Hello Everybody,

This is interesting, i didn't know there were girl-guitars :shock: ...hahaha. I just bought my first one in march this year, it is a Xiphos, from the Ibanez, black colour. I loved the design when I first saw it (on a catalog), now I still like it a lot, but the neck still coming down everytime when i play standing....is some kind of a hassle. On me, looks a bit big I think.

Rock on' girls!

ReplyQuote
(@barbiesteel)
Eminent Member

Hello again,
I see some of you have more than one guitar...could you give me some feedback about them?
Why is your favorite, your favourite?
What are the features of the Daisy rock?....I visited the website, but it doesn't have much information.
Is it only the colors what makes it girly?

ReplyQuote
 ayms
(@ayms)

What are the features of the Daisy rock?....I visited the website, but it doesn't have much information.
Is it only the colors what makes it girly?
I did some research on Daisy Rock when I was looking to buy a guitar.

From what I can tell, the major difference is that they have a slimmer neck and they're supposed to be lightweight. According to their website, they also claim the guitars have some kind of contour in the body design that makes them fit a woman's body better too. I'm not sure how that works since I couldn't actually find one to test out. I think they have a fairly limited line of acoustic guitars anyway, which is what I was looking for. So at that point I didn't get too bent trying to track one down.

The idea of a guitar scaled for women appeals to me because I am only 5'1 and overall I'm a pretty small person. On the other hand, I found that there are plenty of smaller-sized guitars that were very comfortable for me to play. I ended up buying an auditorium style guitar, which is on the smaller side.

I might check out Daisy Rock out when I go to buy an electric, because I've heard the quality is pretty good on them and they're reasonably priced. But I'm also not extremely hung up on looking for a "girl guitar" anymore now that I've seen that there are so many options that would probably work.

For posterity, I ended up going with a Martin 000X1. This is the one that has the HPL (fake wood) sides and back, but it still sounded better than anything else I tried by a mile and it has a great feel to it. I ended up really loving this guitar and play it constantly. I mean, from the back I guess it sort of looks like a cheap kitchen counter, but I won't really hold that against it. :twisted:

ReplyQuote
(@hobson)
Noble Member

I see that this is an old thread. But it's still relevant, so I'll jump in.

I never look for guitars that are specifically designed for women. But being only 5'1" and having small hands, I do look for a smaller body, a shorter scale, and a narrower neck.

I play a lot of fingerstyle. My primary guitar is a Gibson LC-1. Unfortunately, they're not in production anymore. It's an acoustic-electric cutaway with a fabulous tone for its small body. Scale: 24.75-inch. Nut width: 1 11/16 inches. String spacing at the bridge: 2 3/16 inches.

I also have an Epiphone Dot semi-hollow body electric. It's a bit heavy and has a bigger body than I would like. It has a different sound than the Gibson and I mostly play it when I'm accompanying my community chorus and need that sound or need more volume. I have an old Yamaha FG-75 that's my beater camping guitar. It's short scale and 3/4 size. And I have a cheap Yamaha electric that I don't play much anymore since I got the Dot. My oldest guitar is an Epiphone FT-145. Because it's too big for me, it never gets played. And that's the key. "Girl guitar" or not, if you're not comfortable with your instrument, you won't play it.

Renee

ReplyQuote
(@takamineprincess)
Eminent Member

takamine eg544sc, however I first started learning on a small fender squire. It was like, once I learned how to play on the smaller sized guitar it became easier to play the full sized ones. I was looking at Daisy Rock at first, but then I realized what I really wanted out of them were the pretty sparkles... :lol: and then i went with what I thought sounded better. I think if I ever go electric I will get one of those though.

ReplyQuote
 Gem
(@gem)

I'm a beginner and just bought a guitar. My boyfriend advised me a lot, and from playing his I decided what I wanted :)

I got a caparison dellinger, because the neck is thinner and I don't need to reach a lot with my tiny hands to make chords! Really love how it sounds, as it's got bareknuckle pickups in it.

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 3