Clear all

Adverts Carried by site

22 Posts
14 Users
0 Likes
(@adrianjmartin)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Can anything be done about the obvious scam adverts that this site seems to be attracting?

I appreciate advertising pays something towards the cost of running this site - but I despair at some of the scam and cons that are perpetrated...weight loss pills, teeth whitening secrets, get ripped, smilies, etc..

I really don't mind advertising when it is relevant - if advertising was more relevant here your click through rate might improve

Posted : 01/03/2010 10:52 am
(@alangreen)

The banner advertising at the top of the page should be quite ok. Are you getting things in your e-mail addressed to odd addresses "@guitarnoise.com" or something like that?

Let us know

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

Posted : 01/03/2010 4:31 pm
(@paulhackett)
Prominent Member Admin

All very valid points. Regardless of how hard I try there will always be some off topic advertisements. But we don't participate in or tolerate spamming and scams. We need you to let us know when you see something not right in an advertiser's claim. Specifics would be helpful.

A lot of advertisers now use behavioural targeting - meaning the ads being displayed may depend on other sites you've visited rather than the content on this site. Therefore a lot of you won't be seeing the same ads as each other.

Guitar Noises Newsletter

Posted : 01/03/2010 6:26 pm
(@adrianjmartin)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

I'm not knowingly getting any scam emails - I use gmail, so they are pretty good at sorting the junk....

Over the last few weeks I have noticed a rise in the number of 'scam', too good to be true type adverts......weight loss - without diet or exercise...teeth whitening( what your dentist ISN'T telling you ), Get Ripped in 2 Weeks etc.

I know all these are scams to get your credit card infomation etc....

Right know the site advertising seems OK, apart from the Teeth Whitening advert......I just know it will be a storm of click through and pop ups if I click on it

Oh and I appreciate that these kind of scam adverts have been part of advertising for hundreds of years....

Posted : 02/03/2010 9:36 am
(@adrianjmartin)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Couple of clicks later and suddenly the banner is about getting ripped again and the I've Won the lotto!

Oh and I clicked the teeth whitening one to verify my previous claim---- turns out is a scam for two products that combine together to achieve amazing results....

*Sigh*

Posted : 02/03/2010 9:42 am
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Just ignore 'em. I keep getting an ad asking me if I know my credit score....well, yeah, it's zero. So I ignore it and move on.

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 03/03/2010 9:42 pm
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

But just think if you could get ripped, get your teeth whitened and get your credit score all in one shot...wooohoo!

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

Posted : 04/03/2010 9:07 pm
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

....while learning to play guitar....

Posted : 05/03/2010 10:50 am
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

....while learning to play guitar....
in 30 minutes

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

Posted : 05/03/2010 10:57 am
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

I wonder if some of the "bad" ads are related to this problem?

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

Posted : 23/03/2010 3:28 pm
(@boxboy)
Noble Member

Maybe this is region based?
I'm in Canada. I don't get any ads that far off topic.
i get Amazon, guitar sites, on line backup services...but every thing's pretty legit.
:)

Don

Posted : 23/03/2010 4:59 pm
(@mac-manc-mcmanx)
Estimable Member

I use firefox with Adblock plus, dont see any such ads.

When you wanna rock hard children, lean on F sharp

Posted : 23/03/2010 5:30 pm
(@scrybe)
Famed Member

How does GN know I'm single?!? :shock:

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

Posted : 27/06/2010 8:54 pm
(@paulhackett)
Prominent Member Admin

You just told us.

Seriously. We don't collect and store personal information.

Guitar Noises Newsletter

Posted : 27/06/2010 10:23 pm
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

We were all just hoping. :D

Posted : 27/06/2010 11:12 pm
Page 1 / 2