Notifications
Clear all

Composer's Forum

28 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
(@boxboy)
Noble Member

When it comes to notation, tab is all I know....so something like this would probably help me to learn standard notation.

:D :D :D

Vic

Programs like Melody Assistant let you notate as tab but display as standard notation, or vice versa or both.
It's a little clunky to use, but it's dead cheap: 20 USD.
http://www.myriad-online.com/en/products/melody.htm
:)

Edit: Mind you, you'd still have to learn to assign note durations and rests.

Don

Posted : 17/08/2007 3:59 pm
(@blueline)
Noble Member

I think it would be a great place to get help on an original composition. For instance, I am currently stuck on a chord progression for an original song and could use some input. I also think this forum would greatly benefit people by making one on one connections. What I mean is, sure it would be great to get feedback from 20 people, but that would tend to make me confused.

However, if I connected with someone in this forum and we were both committed to working out a chord progression, ie. sending midi files back and forth to one another or simply recording yourself on the acoustic, it could really work out great. Likewise, I think it would be mutually beneficial. One of the best things, from my perspective, would be the ability to collaborate with someone. While I DO occasionally jam with a local friend, we do not collaborate on songs. Being able to do this would be tremendously exciting to me.

I think the notational aspect would be the hardest thing to overcome. For me, I would MUCH rather hear what you are playing. I learn most songs by ear. That, along with some notation that you and I agree we could both understand would be the best fit.

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

Posted : 17/08/2007 6:50 pm
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

So it seems the thoughts so far:

• About the composition not the performance. Not "Hear Here 2.0"
    Need to post something, but can be flexible, could be tab, midi file, pdf, etc.
    Should ask for volunteers to help with transcription where appropriate
    Standard Notation is ok, but difficult to implement: Midi probably preferred
    We like the idea of weekly assignments
    Also like other compositional submissions
    Focus on learning and helping each other as composers
  • Does that about capture what we've discussed so far?

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

Posted : 20/08/2007 1:42 pm
    (@vic-lewis-vl)
    Illustrious Member
    Topic starter

So it seems the thoughts so far:

• About the composition not the performance. Not "Hear Here 2.0"
    Need to post something, but can be flexible, could be tab, midi file, pdf, etc.
    Should ask for volunteers to help with transcription where appropriate
    Standard Notation is ok, but difficult to implement: Midi probably preferred
    We like the idea of weekly assignments
    Also like other compositional submissions
    Focus on learning and helping each other as composers
  • Does that about capture what we've discussed so far?

Pretty much in a nutshell.

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 20/08/2007 2:13 pm
    (@ignar-hillstrom)
    Illustrious Member

Anything still happening with the idea?

Posted : 15/09/2007 2:10 pm
    (@musenfreund)
    Illustrious Member

I'm not sure what the status of the suggestion is at the moment. At the moment, though, updating the forum software has been keeping everyone busy.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
    -- John Lennon

Posted : 15/09/2007 2:12 pm
    (@davidhodge)

Be coming up in six or seven weeks, keep an eye in the newsletter or on the SSG forum page.

Peace

Posted : 15/09/2007 7:08 pm
    (@ignar-hillstrom)
    Illustrious Member

Cool, looking forward to it. 8)

Posted : 16/09/2007 2:18 pm
    (@embrace_the_darkness)
    Honorable Member

Great!

I'm looking forward to this :)

Pete

ETD - Formerly "10141748 - Reincarnate"

Posted : 17/09/2007 5:36 pm
    (@blueline)
    Noble Member

Sweet. I volunteer to be the 1st person helped in this forum! :D
    God know I could use it!
    I think the biggest thing that will make this a success would be consistency in feedback. I like the general rule: If you want help in composing a song, give help/feedback to at least three other first!

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

Posted : 20/09/2007 5:55 pm
    (@ignar-hillstrom)
    Illustrious Member

I like the general rule: If you want help in composing a song, give help/feedback to at least three other first!

Wont work: people will just post one-liners to get feedback. Fixed rules just dont really work out, atleast in my experience. Just give feedback if you want to and if you don't, by all means shut up. :P

Posted : 20/09/2007 10:12 pm
    (@embrace_the_darkness)
    Honorable Member

I like the general rule: If you want help in composing a song, give help/feedback to at least three other first!

Wont work: people will just post one-liners to get feedback. Fixed rules just dont really work out

I don't think that 's a suggestion for there be an actual rule put in place; Blueline's just pointing out that if you want decent feedback on your own work then you should expect to do some feedbacking to other's posts as well. :)

Pete

ETD - Formerly "10141748 - Reincarnate"

Posted : 21/09/2007 4:26 pm
    (@blueline)
    Noble Member

Agreed. Not really suggesting a "fixed " rule by any means. There would be no way to enforce something like that. Enforcement would be a sure way to see the forum to a quick death. More of a common curtouesy for each other is what I was thinking. I see this forum, more than the others on GN, needing to be very interactive. If you provided me with feedback or help several times and then looked to me for feedback and got nothing, I'm sure you would not be happy about it.

Posted : 21/09/2007 4:38 pm
    Page 2 / 2