Clear all

Easy Songs - Index

31 Posts
16 Users
0 Likes
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

There are so many songs, and more added by the day on the ESD (That's Easy Song Database for those of us who don't go back that far.......

There are twenty (count them, TWENTY!!!) pages of easy songs, they're a rambling, incoherent mess - I've been told many times, someone's on it - but there is still no index, there's no coherent structure, it's just a total MESS!

I've offered my services before - maybe I know sod all bout computers, but I'm sure someone with a glimmer of intelligence could compile an index, put a few songs in order by artist or title, I mean, come on! We have a hell of a good database of songs here, let's not spoil it by denying it a haporth of tar - ie an index..,...

I'd be perfectly willing to (A) draw up an index (B) keep it up-to-date and (c) add to/delete from said database as necessary.....

We have a really good song database here, be a shame to let it go to ruin because people can't be arsed looking after it....

So what's the problem?

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 19/10/2006 7:50 pm
(@rahul)
Famed Member

Vic's got a point.An index is a must.

Posted : 20/10/2006 4:51 am
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

It could be done quite effectively with just a simple sticky thread - then the OP and all the mods could keep it updated, and ommisions, corrections, additions etc. could all be handled in the same place...

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

Posted : 20/10/2006 7:34 am
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Vic,
Could you possibly create the index and then post it in the wiki pages (Guitar Noise Wiki)? Is it possible to start the index there? If it is, then it's also possible for all those who use the index to help keep it up to date?
Just a thought here. I'm not really savvy enough to know if it's possible.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

Posted : 20/10/2006 9:31 am
 lars
(@lars)
Noble Member

Excelent idea!

huh - GN's Wiki page? I've never been there... before.

Vic, let me know if I can assist in any way - I'm looking at a computer most of the time anyway

...only thing I know how to do is to keep on keepin' on...

LARS kolberg http://www.facebook.com/sangerersomfolk

Posted : 20/10/2006 10:23 am
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

It's like I'm not even here... :? :? :?

Who said that! :shock: oOo Spooky :lol:

Jim

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

Posted : 20/10/2006 1:42 pm
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Or maybe a page on GN's Wiki so that everyone can edit it and keep it up to date etc....

Excellent idea Sport! :lol:

Is there a way to make it only available to GN members like the Easy Songs Forum is? I could see problems like other tab/song sites have poping up at GN if we had them available to everyone.

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 20/10/2006 2:10 pm
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

Sticky thread gets around all of that, we have a volunteer who's willing and able to build and maintain it (I'd also be happy to, should you change your mind Vic :)) and most importantly, it'd be in the same place as the songs themselves. 'Tis a no-brainer, IMHO.

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

Posted : 20/10/2006 3:29 pm
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

It's like I'm not even here... :? :? :? Oh well, carry on amongst yourselves.

Oops -- I only noticed the part about Google spreadsheets. Let me amend my suggestion to say I like your idea of an Easy Songs Wikibase. :oops:

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

Posted : 20/10/2006 5:03 pm
(@banre)
Reputable Member

The wiki is a great idea, no matter who thought of it.

If you guys want a more searchable front end, I might could throw something simple together on a server of mine, and just link directly into the threads that the songs are in. Lemme know, I could have something super simple up pretty quickly.

Unseen Evidence
UE Reverb Nation Page

Posted : 20/10/2006 5:23 pm
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

The problem with outside links is, that every time GN has a clear-out or a reorganisation, the storage URI changes. It would mean, that, after any such change, you may well have to update EVERY link.

I know of a couple of sites, that have links to GN, which are older than the last reorganisation - and they are all dead links, (presumably) because of it.

I don't want to pour water on a good intentions, but I think that we must find a long-term solution, that is user-managed. I'm not sure that either a sticky or a Wiki would give us that.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

Posted : 20/10/2006 5:37 pm
(@davidhodge)

I could repeat this until I'm blue in the face and I don't think it would matter. The ESD was originally designed to be outside of Guitar Noise, in other words, a separate site. The original planner even put together a search engine based on the number (or names) of the chords you knew.

As a simple page on the regular Forum, there's not all that much more that can be done with it unless someone wants to take on the post as official "Moderator of the ESD" and, as Sport points out (and smartly without volunteering) it could be a life-long position.

So we obviously need to come up with a different approach than what we've got. I'll be the first to say that I'm pretty useless when it comes to computer discussions, but I'll be happy to start up a "How to best fix the ESD" thread so we can discuss matters.

Peace

Posted : 20/10/2006 7:29 pm
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Maybe if we just put a sticky in the ESD and gave everyone strict rules on what should be on the subject line the search function might be more useful?

I don't know what else to suggest at this point unless someone takes on the task and it would definitely be a life long position.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

Posted : 20/10/2006 7:36 pm
(@rahul)
Famed Member

I am sure Vic can serve as our ESD mod.After all, he is a senior and experienced enough to take on this responsibility.Plus, it will also help to clear out the tab/song requests.(which was also Vic's idea)

Let us see how he will manage the ESD.It may or may not work, but its worth a try.

My vote for Vic to be ESD's mod.

Posted : 20/10/2006 7:39 pm
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

I offered my time and my web space the last time this came up and I even gave an example what it might look like (the tab page anyway)............. nothing happened........... no one else stepped up.

I think it will take a couple people to pull it off, or one person with a LOT of down time on their hands.

I don't have the time nor the web space anymore. Count me out.

Sorry everyone..........

Posted : 20/10/2006 8:49 pm
Page 1 / 3