Notifications
Clear all

Guitar Noise Strumming Instructional CD

12 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
(@davidhodge)
Topic starter

As many of you know, I've been trying to work on our first Guitar Noise tutorial CD and the good news is that I think it will be ready to meet the public later this fall. But before we can do this, I do need some help.

For those of you not familiar with this project, our first CD is about “Strumming.” Here is the working outline of the CD:

Intro
Tuning (getting in tune with CD)
Time Signature
4/4
Notes - whole, half, quarter and eighth
Strumming quarter notes
Strumming eighth notes
Basic 4/4 strumming patterns
3/4
Basic 3/4 strumming patterns
Speed - How strumming affects perception part 1
Bass note/strum - using root of chord
Bass note/strum - using alternating bassline
Bass note/strum - using walking bassline
Arpeggio strumming (think "house of the rising sun")
Triplets
6/8 and 12/8
Arpeggios with triplets, 6/8 and 12/8
Basic blues shuffle
Palm muting
Blues shuffle with palm muting
Anticipations - How strumming affects perception part 2
Partial chords
Partial chords with palm muting (think any Neil Young)
General genres (rock, reggae, folk, ballad, etc.)
Examples of all types and combos

Now, what I need to know is how much interest there actually is in this. I'd like to find out whether or not I should produce these individually or en masse (and this will naturally affect the asking price of the CD).

So, suppose that we were asking between $12 and $15 (including shipping) for this tutorial CD – would you want one? Here's your chance to preorder and let me know. You can also let me know if there's a topic I've missed!

I am hoping that you will find this CD to be of the same educational caliber as my lessons and columns here at Guitar Noise. After all, we do not want to put our name on a product that doesn't live up to the standards we've already set here on our site!

Let me know what you think. Also, let me know whether or not you'd be interested in CDs on other topics. We're currently exploring the following topics: Intro to Fingerstyle, Intermediate Fingerstyle, Basic Theory, Intro to Electric Guitar, Beginning Electric Rhythm Guitar, Beginning Lead Guitar, Beginning Bass Guitar, Chord Voicing, Intro to Alternate and Open Tunings, Intro to the 12 String Guitar and Basic Songwriting.

I want to stress that this is not an official request for preordering, I am just trying to figure out what it's all going to cost so that I can make the sale price as low as possible. Who knows? Maybe we can get it under $10 if there's enough interest.

I look forward to hearing from you. You can either reply to me here or use the forum's Instant Messaging service or write me directly at

[email protected]

I look forward to hearing your thoughts and ideas.

Peace

Posted : 22/08/2003 4:07 pm
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Yes, I would be interested in a CD on basic guitar rhythms. One additional topic that has always flummoxed me is quarter-note triplets. Perhaps you could address that?

Another topic that might be popular would be ear training. I have purchased several (overpriced) products for basic ear training and been sorely disappointed. A guitar based CD covering the basics-- like melodic and harmonic intervals, major and minor triads, possibly sevenths, suspensions and extensions-- would be great.

Thanks for your time,
Mike

Posted : 26/08/2003 1:01 am
 Bob
(@bob)
Noble Member

Hi David

I think this is a great idea.  I would definitely want one of these CDs

Bob

My Soundclick Page

You are what you eat, eat well

Posted : 27/08/2003 9:09 am
(@fender1138)

This is a really neat idea, im just startin out and find the whole strumming thing a bit of hard work!

One thing i have trouble with is theory, im slowly getting there but what about a theory for idiots workbook/lesson series?

Posted : 04/09/2003 8:51 am
(@Anonymous)

I'd buy it if was $10... Maybe if it was $15 if I knew the cd was really good. (Not to sound like a cheap skate, I just live in Canada, so I'd be paying twice the American price)

Posted : 06/09/2003 11:39 am
 kasT
(@kast)

Hi David,

Chalk another prospect sale on the board.

The CD working outline looks great from my stand point as a beginner.
I have been using your Easy Songs for Beginners
https://www.guitarnoise.com/easy.php articles to assist my playing ability.
The lessons have been a tremendous help for strumming, music reading, tricks(how to palm mute), theory, and technique.

Thank you for the many teachings I have acquired from your articles. I will carry them throughout the many years to come. Relearning the A chord fingering to dhodge style will take a little more practice though, wish I found that tip a little sooner.

My only feedback I can think of at this time is to hope that in a section like
"General genres (rock, reggae, folk, ballad, etc.) "
to include more reggae like the "I shot the Sheriff" lesson you wrote.

Hope to be placing that order soon with you..

cheers

Posted : 10/09/2003 7:27 am
(@maxwell)
Estimable Member

I got my inspiration to learn guitar playing after watching the video of Jimi playing at the Monterey Pop Festival.  After several months of reading Guitarnoise, I finally have come to the conclusion that most people use their fingers instead of their teeth, and that lighter fluid is not required to play this fine instrument.  I am really relieved to learn that, cuz replacing my guitar every time I practised was getting expensive. I'm just too darned lazy to try playing the way Pete Townsend did there.

Now that I have learned that, I have just listened to my first help mp3s to learn to strum Horse With No Name.  I am finding them extremely helpful and will indeed order the cd. I expect to be playing that song fluently in the near future, except I am going to name the horse Abigail, after the horse I had as a teenager. Gosh I miss that horse. "I've been through the desert on a horse named Abigail..."

He not busy being born is busy dying. - Bob Dylan (It's Alright Ma, I'm Only Bleeding)

Posted : 01/10/2003 11:29 pm
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

Heehee!!!  ;D

That was very good.

-Laz

Posted : 29/12/2003 4:04 am
(@Anonymous)

I would buy one of those CDs.  I received my first guitar a month ago, and began working through the book that came with it.  Shortly thereafter, I found this site, and I must say that the quality of the lessons here, the ability to hear strumming patterns in Mp3s, and the overall sense of community that exists here has made daily practicing something to look forward to.  I've even enjoyed learning theory. (Boy, if my piano teacher from elementary school ever heard me say that...)  
Oh... back on topic... if I were able to get a CD with some of your lessons / coaching / examples on it, I could listen to it during my commute, as well as during practice time.   Count me in.

Posted : 22/01/2004 1:28 am
(@year4545)

I'd definitely buy some of these CD's.  I've found David Hodge's lessons with the mp3's very helpful.  I look forward to placing my order.

Cheers,
James

Posted : 22/01/2004 2:34 pm
(@nucleus)

Hi Dave,

I think it's a great idea. I will definitely order this CD, if Guitar Noise is shipping it to Germany  ;D .

Uwe

Posted : 02/04/2004 1:07 pm
(@fretzky)
Eminent Member

I would be very much interested in:

-Introduction to 12 string Guitar

-Introduction to Fingerstyle

-Lessons on combining Palm Muting and Strumming.

Regards

Fretzky

Posted : 19/08/2004 12:43 am