Lesson Requests

7 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@hornfinger)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Hi,

Although the Beginner's Lessons on Guitar Noise are great, I personally find it hard to engage with them, frankly because of their age. I'm 27, and with a few exceptions, I've never heard most of the songs on offer (that's not to say I haven't heard of them); they are simply 'before my time' (sorry if that makes anyone feel old). I'd be hard pressed to whistle 90% of them.

I realise that many of them are classics and I'm not criticising the choices, or indeed the songs, it would just be nice if a few more modern songs got the excellent Guitar Noise treatment; perhaps something from the likes of Jack Johnson, John Mayer, or The White Stripes, for example?

Posted : 11/05/2009 11:45 am
(@paulhackett)
Prominent Member Admin

Thanks for the feedback. You have a very good point.

Recently we were pretty surprised to see how many people read the lesson on Hey There Delilah. If you check the home page it's more popular than things like Comfortably Numb.

Without turning things into a popularity contest, I think we're going to try and include some newer songs in future lessons. Already there is a Jack Johnson lesson in the works. The most important thing is finding songs that can be used to teach techniques that can be applied to your playing. Guitar tab can be found anywhere and lessons that walk you through a song are becoming pretty popular. David's lessons are more about teaching you things that will help you sound better playing any song in your repertoire - and that's why they take longer to write.

We're listening and we're working on it.

Guitar Noises Newsletter

Posted : 13/05/2009 1:58 am
(@hornfinger)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

I think the overriding factor is how much any given song will impress the opposite sex :D

Posted : 17/05/2009 6:09 pm
(@coolnama)
Prominent Member

+1

I really love Comfortably Numb xD, and I'm 14.

But yep most of the other songs I've never heard ^_^, but this place has a great community, and there are alot of Easy Songs in the Easy Songs place, maybe you've heard some of those.

I wanna be that guy that you wish you were ! ( i wish I were that guy)

You gotta set your sights high to get high!

Everyone is a teacher when you are looking to learn.

( wise stuff man! )

Its Kirby....

Posted : 18/07/2009 1:09 pm
(@tinsmith)
Prominent Member

I'd like to see something regarding the relationship of the different modes to the root of a chord. Example.. how do other modes like A Phrygian, A Lydian, A Mixolydian, A Aeoian, A Locrian sound in relationship to the key of A. This is where I get confused I think.

Am I thinking of this in the correct way? Do they even relate to A besides being different degree/positions/whatever or do they relate to different positions of part of the root...ie: 3rd, 4th, 5th?

Am I from outer space?

Posted : 18/07/2009 5:34 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Although the Beginner's Lessons on Guitar Noise are great, I personally find it hard to engage with them, frankly because of their age. I'm 27, and with a few exceptions, I've never heard most of the songs on offer (that's not to say I haven't heard of them); they are simply 'before my time' (sorry if that makes anyone feel old). I'd be hard pressed to whistle 90% of them.

No need to apologise - quite a few of us here ARE old! Well, in our fifties, anyway - you'd probably be surprised how many of us only took up guitar playing seriously in our late forties.

For me, the whole point of David's lessons has always been that he'll take a classic song and strip it down to bare bones - dissect it if you like - and throw in a little theory as well, and explain why a particular riff/chord progression/walking bassline/fill works. If that's a song from the 50's, or a song from this year, it doesn't really matter - as long as you learn something from the lessons, that's the point.

And, I'm just guessing here, but maybe it's just David's way of introducing "our" generation's music to a whole new generation?

Good music's good music, whenever it was made - and the really good music will stick around for a long time. Whether it was made in the 50's, or this year.

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 20/07/2009 2:16 am
(@coolnama)
Prominent Member

I think the thing about introducing music is great, I've heard great music cause of this site, but there should be some newer stuff too, I know David is short on time, but I don't know ^^.

I wanna be that guy that you wish you were ! ( i wish I were that guy)

You gotta set your sights high to get high!

Everyone is a teacher when you are looking to learn.

( wise stuff man! )

Its Kirby....

Posted : 21/07/2009 12:26 am