Lessons forum

6 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@trudolfs)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Hello!

I have read through the new Welcome at the lessons forum, and Im a bit conserned that I think something is missing. Im not saying its not in there at all, but its not very much off it.

What Im talking about is the group thing. The feeling of several people doing the same lesson at the same time, and discussing it freely. Not just asking questions, but simply chatting about it.

I mean, to ask questions on a lesson I can just as well create new thread on Beginners Q&A, or send a mail to the writer. I do not need a separate forum for that.

I have a suggestion for a proceedure that would give it more of a group feeling.

When a moderator starts a new thread, I suggest it should be named with a group name and the lesson. The group name is just to give it a sence of progression. Could be simply Group Alpha, Bravo etc. or something more fancy.

The first post in the thread should state the lesson, maybe throw in some meat bones, and encourage ALL WHO PARTICIPATES TO SAY HI, and yoin the chat. Ofcourse people can enter or leave a group as they please, but when one enters one should say so. I mean, if you are in a class room you should know the people there, not just the ones with questions. Current lessons should be pinned to the top.

After maybe a week a new thread is started with the next lesson for that group (simply same group name). The old one is unpinned and the new one pinned.

After a while (maybe 2w?) the moderator should round off the old topic. The topic could maybe linger for another month for latecommers and late questions, but after that it could be removed (maybe arcived along with the lesson or whatever).

This I think would make the lessons thread more interesting to participate in, without putting to much burden on the moderators. The process for lessons should be described in the forum Welcome page (always pinned for new students).

OK, this is what concerned me. I dont know, maybe there is a better way to do it, or the one we have right now works well to everyones satisfaction. Anyone with ideas?

/zc

Posted : 17/09/2003 9:48 am
(@davidhodge)

Hi ZC

THese are great suggestions and I would definitely want to follow up with you on how to implement them.

As I've mentioned (and as has been painfully evident), I think that we're going to have some growing pains on getting all this started. I would really like to have things clicking as they were with the first three discussions (starting with Before You Accuse Me)

If you'd be willing to do so, rewrite the "Welcome" and IM it to me (or post it here) and let's work together on getting the group thing going.

Peace

Posted : 17/09/2003 1:37 pm
(@trudolfs)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Sent you a message. Hope it works :)

Posted : 17/09/2003 3:18 pm
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

ZC, I also like your suggestions and think it's great you're willing to help draft some stuff.

I wonder if having separate groups might get to be hard to manage.  But I do think archiving is a great idea after a while and I think we moderators could also distill a set of FAQs from the discussion when we do that.  The FAQs could be posted in the forum or elsewhere.  That might help too.

And while I take your point that you could post in the Beginners' forum, an advantage of separating these threads out is that everyone has the same point of reference in the Lessons forum -- i.e. the lesson itself.  And since the number of threads is more limited, the information should be more readily accessible to everyone.  

In the long term, though, I wonder if the archiving and FAQ procedure would lead to groups of learners forming naturally on their own (much as they did for the experimental threads up in the Beginners' forum).  We might naturally reach your goal without having to impose the structure.

I think it's great that this thing is evolving.
Tim

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

Posted : 17/09/2003 4:40 pm
(@trudolfs)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

I think to be atractive for newcommers to join the lessons, you will have to start from square one rather often, and also be aple to provide a non beginner group to join. But maybe Im getting carried away. We need to start someware, and one group is as good a start as any. But still consider the multigroup senario, so we do not paint ourself into a corner.

As for the need of structure, I think it would be usefull with some directions. Specialy for newcommers to dare join. If they do not know how it works, they might be scared off. For the moderators, I mean as long as they know what they are doing, fine, that will give a structure anyway.

I think that two things would be very nice to have, sharing and progressio. The sharing will give you a group feeling, thereby motivating you. The progression will get you someware. Ofcourse you can do your studing on your own. But I think this will give people more and help them develop faster. thats the reason I think the new forum should provide more than just questions and answers on lessons.

I quess the questions and answer thing could still be there though. Maybe a good start?

Posted : 18/09/2003 8:43 am
(@Anonymous)

Sounds very kewl ZC...i hope that it can be implemented somehow.

Later  8)

Posted : 18/09/2003 11:11 pm