Clear all

New forum area for member recordings?

17 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Currently, members are posting links to their recordings -- audio and video -- in several different places (e.g., News, Guitar Players Discussion). Given the rising frequency of these postings, it would be convenient to find 'em all in one place.

-Greg

-=tension & release=-

Posted : 24/07/2004 3:13 am
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

I agree with Greg. But, do we need to add another section or can we add them to an already existing section. If it's possible y'all can add a "Video/MP3" section, that should would work out nicely.

But, what does that mean for the work load of the developers?

Either way it's a great idea, Greg!

Posted : 24/07/2004 3:36 am
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Somewhere within "In The Studio" might be appropriate.

-=tension & release=-

Posted : 24/07/2004 4:30 am
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

I don't want to put words into Paul's mouth, but I think a major consideration is the space needed to host such stuff. I agree, it might be an idea to have a separate forum, but I think the members would have to host the vids/audio themselves.
I think it would also take us away from being a guitar website to a free web host, which is not what we are.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

Posted : 24/07/2004 7:32 am
(@davidhodge)

Maybe just having a separate section in the Forum (and I do think that a "subpage" in the Studio section would be good) where everyone can post their links would be best...

Peace

Posted : 24/07/2004 12:06 pm
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

I don't want to put words into Paul's mouth, but I think a major consideration is the space needed to host such stuff. I agree, it might be an idea to have a separate forum, but I think the members would have to host the vids/audio themselves.
I think it would also take us away from being a guitar website to a free web host, which is not what we are.

Agreed. Most of us have already found other hosting services. For that reason, as well as the fact that I don't think GN should be burdened by hosting, my suggestion was meant to address only the organization of postings. Sorry for not making this clear.

-Greg

-=tension & release=-

Posted : 24/07/2004 7:13 pm
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

Everyone that posts here with their Video/MP3's already have their own site that they up-load to. With that said, there wouldn't be any extra strain for GN's server.

You could call the new section -

Video & MP3 Forum.
This section is here for people to post Video's & MP3's for other people to listen to. If you want your new track critiqed (spelling?) post it here.

I'm sure that can be worded differently but, that is the main jist of it anyway. I'd like to see what happens with this.

Great idea Greg.

Posted : 24/07/2004 9:06 pm
(@tucker)
Estimable Member

Would there not be copyright issues with posting fresh material in an open access forum? Video/MP3 lessons and such are fine, but I know I'd never post my band's material here - not that I don't trust you all, but it makes it too easy to steal anonymously.

Posted : 24/07/2004 10:16 pm
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

Would there not be copyright issues with posting fresh material in an open access forum? Video/MP3 lessons and such are fine, but I know I'd never post my band's material here - not that I don't trust you all, but it makes it too easy to steal anonymously.
I understand what you are saying BUT, people are doing it already on this site. Some people are posting "fresh/original" stuff and some people are posting well known songs that they want feed-back to see if it sounds the way it should.

And also with the whole copyright issue (as far as "fresh/original") goes, the same rights should be applied to the new forum as is with the already existing Song Writers Forum on this site.

Posted : 24/07/2004 11:17 pm
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

First you have to write something worth stealing..... :D

Posted : 24/07/2004 11:19 pm
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

One would be posting a hyperlink to something that already exists elsewhere on the wwweb. None of the (possibly) original material would actually reside on a GN server. I believe this makes property rights a moot issue as far as GN is concerned. Yes?

-=tension & release=-

Posted : 25/07/2004 4:27 am
(@tucker)
Estimable Member

Well, no, not really, because if somebody's music (even if it isn't on the GN server) is nabbed, could the victim of the nabbing say it was GN's fault? I just think it should be made perfectly clear that in the unlikely event anything is lifted, it isn't GN's problem and it's a risk the user takes completely on his own.

Posted : 25/07/2004 11:14 am
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

While I will concede that legal rational does not equal common sense, I think there are a couple of precedents that would indicate there is small likelihood for a problem:

Google is totally promiscuous about the links it provides and, moreover, provides cached material (on it's own server). Don't really understand how the latter is done.

Harmony-Central was in a similar position during the OLGA crisis a few years back. OLGA bore the culpability, not H-C.

Furthermore, I would think that having these links concentrated in one forum (sub-)section is best from a legal and practical standpoint. If there is a problem, the webmaster can lock down just that section instead of being forced to shut down the entire GN forum because it's innundated with such links.

-G

-=tension & release=-

Posted : 25/07/2004 3:13 pm
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Good points. And, besides, aren't people posting these files so that others can critique their technique, arrangement, interpretation? Doesn't the copyright problem kick in if the songs are being performed for a fee? If no one's earning anything off the music, I think you're all right.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

Posted : 25/07/2004 4:26 pm
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

"Tommy can you hear me?"

'tis done

Posted : 25/07/2004 5:22 pm
Page 1 / 2