0 Likes
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Very good points, Arjen! And very well articulated! Thanks! :D

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

Posted : 02/01/2008 4:00 pm
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

I'm not normally one for fence-sitting, but I think both sides of this debate have pretty much equal merit. I'd like to be able to talk about anything, but I wouldn't want to lose anyone from here because they were offended by something they read, and I think that's inevitable. There is one particular set of lyrics that I've written, for instance, that I'd love to get feedback on... but even if the subject it's on wasn't specifically banned, it'd probably offend a good portion of the readers here as I have an uncommonly extreme and strong opinion on the subject and this song pulls no punches in expressing it. I see plenty of the exact opposite sentiment in lyrics I read here too, which to be perfectly honest can jive a little. For the sake of not making an issue, it sits in my songbook unread, and I ignore the opposites I read. It's a smallish sacrifice in the end for what is without doubt the most easy-going forum I've ever encountered on any subject. My local football team's forum, for instance, is a bloodbath despite very specific "be nice" rules and lots of bannings - and this is people who all support the same team. People generally go there just to clash egos, and you really do have to dig around for worthwhile comment.

Anyhoo, long story short, I think removing restrictions on subjects should be fine, but probably wouldn't be. Containing that side of the site to one particular forum should work, but probably wouldn't. Past attempts, as reported, seem to agree with that. It's a damned shame, but that's just people and how they work. (And there's a little insight into my choice of username, too ;))

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

Posted : 02/01/2008 4:26 pm
(@rahul)
Famed Member

I find GN best as a guitar and music forum. After all that's what I came here looking for.

Other topics are also fine (like how to prevent computer from hanging or how to keep off smoking etc) as long as it is acceptable in a general manner without being hurting to anyone.

Posted : 06/01/2008 9:01 am
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

I can't seem to remember what happened with the Coffee shop. I remember my cat pee story was used in the description, which was why I loved it. Was it really that bad? What was so bad about it?

That's actually laregely the reason I havn't been around nearly as much as I used to - I found a forum to talk about politics in, and have been obsessed with both the forum and politics ever since.

I think it could work in this forum. It's all about extremly heavy moderation :P Institute temporary bans. If someone says something out of line, insulting, etc, ban them for 3 days, explaining why they got banned. People will be sure to keep posts polite and mature, and regarding the issues not the posters, and that's really the key to something like that. I'd be more than happy to volunteer to help with moderating a more open type of forum, as I've been participating in one quite a bit.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

Posted : 24/01/2008 10:02 pm
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

The coffee shop was our last attempt at this and it was stopped because the chat grew rancorous and caused problems among the membership. GuitarNoise really seems to work best when people come hear to discuss guitars and music. Discussions of politics and other topics seem to work well at some other forums but not here. Personally, I'm happy to see us continue to host the kinds of discussions that work well here. I visit other forums for other kinds of discussions. I don't think GuitarNoise needs to host topics for all my interests. I hope that made sense.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

Posted : 26/01/2008 1:46 pm
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I've tried to post something in this thread for about a week and never seem to be able to describe how I feel and why. It's a reverse of what I thought when the coffee shop got the axe.

I think the mods do a great job of letting the rules bend. As has been said, it's nice to get to know some people other than just what songs they play and what guitar they use. I'm confident that if I posted a thread called "What Kind Of Food Do You Enjoy Before Playing Guitar?", it would not get deleted. (No, don't test the mods....it's just an example)

I do not enjoy at all the mud-slinging that goes on in so many other forums. We've had that element here from time to time over the past few years and it's nice that you either don't see them anymore or they go away and come back and behave as the mods want.

I think the dangerous effect that an open forum has is environmental, meaning that the nastiness spreads to other sections of the forum. Pretty soon other sections of the forum assumes some of the elements of the open forum and becomes less and less, um, polite. It's quite clear to me what the powers-that-be want the forum's environment to be like. With anything environmental, add something to one section and it affects other sections.

Well, that's my take on it.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 29/01/2008 4:35 am
(@guitar_samurai)
Eminent Member

I think a more generalized section might be a good idea. Retaining the guitar/music focus, of course. For example, a couple days ago I wanted to start a thread on movies and books where the main character was a musician, or there was a big focus on music. Just an idea though.

Posted : 25/02/2008 10:01 am
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

I think a more generalized section might be a good idea. Retaining the guitar/music focus, of course. For example, a couple days ago I wanted to start a thread on movies and books where the main character was a musician, or there was a big focus on music. Just an idea though.
This is the kind of thread that one might find under "Opinions & Polls" if you're still looking for a place.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

Posted : 25/02/2008 10:12 am
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Excellent thought, Guitar_Samurai! Could make for an interesting thread. Go ahead and post it! (Please?) :D

In fact, about a year ago, someone started a thread about just music movies and it proved to be very popular.

¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

Posted : 25/02/2008 4:46 pm
(@h20rider)

I think it is terrific that members have other interests besides guitars....but that's to be expected, isn't it. Having other interests doesn't mean that they need to be trotted out in all contexts though. Even if it can be argued that somehow the other, say one's beliefs in a god, interests are music related, does that matter? An agile mind can connect any two topics. Perhaps an analogy would help clarify:
Homes have different rooms for different purposes. It can be argued that a kitchen and a bathroom are related...both have sinks, tile, etc....both have digestive involvement. Yet, we all (hopefully) understand that the activities in these two rooms should not be confused.
Let's keep things simple and elegant. Let's keep Guitar Noise about guitar noise.

No offense meant to anyone.

Posted : 05/03/2008 6:01 pm
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

I think it is terrific that members have other interests besides guitars....but that's to be expected, isn't it. Having other interests doesn't mean that they need to be trotted out in all contexts though. Even if it can be argued that somehow the other, say one's beliefs in a god, interests are music related, does that matter? An agile mind can connect any two topics. Perhaps an analogy would help clarify:
Homes have different rooms for different purposes. It can be argued that a kitchen and a bathroom are related...both have sinks, tile, etc....both have digestive involvement. Yet, we all (hopefully) understand that the activities in these two rooms should not be confused.
Let's keep things simple and elegant. Let's keep Guitar Noise about guitar noise.

No offense meant to anyone.
No offence at all, you put it very succinctly.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

Posted : 06/03/2008 1:32 pm
(@barnabus-rox)
Famed Member

The original topic , has turned into exactly what the question was in my opinion ...

No music / guitars in this topic ....Just opinions which to me equals chit chat

Just my humble opinion

Cheers

Trev.. :wink:

Here is to you as good as you are
And here is to me as bad as I am
As good as you are and as bad as I am
I'm as good as you are as bad as I am

Posted : 07/03/2008 12:43 pm
(@rahul)
Famed Member

I think the Coffee House was a bad idea because it was called the Coffee House. We should of went with Soda Shack. :lol: I had some classic threads in there: Songwriting Serial Killer and Who will croak first: EVH or Keith Richards. Good times, good times. BUT, I vote NO because I alienated everybody (of the senior members and up) except like two people.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Posted : 09/03/2008 9:10 am
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Doesn't this whole thread count as off-topic chit chat?????? :P

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

Posted : 11/03/2008 5:40 pm
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Pretty much! :D Which just goes to prove that we moderators don't always come down on off topic chit chat as long as nobody is offending anybody else! :D

¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´

Posted : 11/03/2008 9:41 pm
Page 2 / 5