options

13 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@tactful)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

RE:custom avatars
you cannot create or use a custom avatar on this forum if it does not meet the size specs.which is hard to do.most forum software has an option built in that makes any size custom creation or other related avatar a thumbnail BUT not this one which limits both creativity and choices.I wonder why? little wonder I do not post here much anymore.otherwise it is a good site.

Heroes Don't wear capes.They wear Dog tags

Posted : 08/08/2011 2:40 am
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

I don't understand. How is it hard to resize a graphic to meet the requirements?
When I was using Windows, the best small and free program I found to quickly resize (as well as crop and a few other things) pictures was IrfanView

I know that the folks running this place prefer to spend their efforts on content, rather than customizing the software (which includes setting up a bunch of optional modules)

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

Posted : 08/08/2011 3:44 am
(@tactful)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

I think the smallest graphic found I wanted to use was 100 x 100.
it is no big deal to use a graphic design to represent yourself better or more accurate.
I do not understand any forum software that does not know or allow to reduce the requirements to fit or to thumbnail size.
know what you mean about concentrating on content.
that is what I do on another forum as a moderator.member of other fora
all have this size option in the existing software.

Posted : 08/08/2011 2:03 pm
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Ah yes....well we tried that once, but we'd get some members who created ENORMOUS avatars. Then when you wanted to scroll through posts it would take forever, or the page would suddenly skip up as you were reading something because the avatars had finally loaded, or some had and then it would do it again.

Anyway, we aim to please, so for the time being I've increased the size of the avatar limit to 150x150. Be forewarned, if it screws up the ability to read posts I'll change it back.

Posted : 08/08/2011 2:15 pm
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

Or were you asking for phpbb to have some auto-sizing utility that reduces your 640x480 image to 128x96? That would make better sense (ignoring the file-size storage issue).

Posted : 08/08/2011 3:54 pm
(@tactful)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Thank You Nick.I doubt anything I saw was even remotely close to the size Laz speaks of.
to be honest I have no clue how other forum software does what it does to re size.
I just know it does and is built in.
one I moderate the software is from 95 upgraded another is 99 also recently upgraded.

that being said I will look at those again.Not that I have anything against Pink Floyd I don't.
fact is one I have saved is another of theirs that did not meet the requirements before although I have something else in mind I am fairly sure nothing is that big.
I have not heard any problems with others or their/my admin but it makes sense if things take forever to load it could be detrimental to the current software used.
< this and smaller when submitted it said was not a valid URL so I don't know.any ideas why? it is here on the board.use Fire fox but had to use IE to get the URL.not fond of explorer.

Posted : 08/08/2011 5:03 pm
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

RE:custom avatars
you cannot create or use a custom avatar on this forum if it does not meet the size specs.which is hard to do.

You're right. If I'd had more space, I could have got the Taj Mahal into my avatar.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

Posted : 08/08/2011 7:35 pm
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Hah...if only.

Posted : 08/08/2011 7:49 pm
(@tactful)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Both I would like to use and tried are up what is the problem? no if only they are not that big.greybeard has his Taj Mahal up?
what I can see other software fora is VBulletin 4 and Infopop.

Posted : 08/08/2011 11:01 pm
(@tactful)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Ah yes....well we tried that once, but we'd get some members who created ENORMOUS avatars. Then when you wanted to scroll through posts it would take forever, or the page would suddenly skip up as you were reading something because the avatars had finally loaded, or some had and then it would do it again.

Anyway, we aim to please, so for the time being I've increased the size of the avatar limit to 150x150. Be forewarned, if it screws up the ability to read posts I'll change it back.Been forewarned.those wanted to use are up but apparently the size is still off,was nice visiting here but think other fora are better equipped.not quitting just staying in places that seem better.doubt you all need 40 + yrs experience or the (20) in the field anyway.

Posted : 10/08/2011 3:28 am
(@imalone)
Reputable Member

The board can't resize pictures because it only allows linked avatars, and it has no control over what is hosted off-site. So if you want a smaller version of one of those ones you posted you have to either:
1. Resize it and upload it somewhere so it has a URL. You don't say what URL your resized version was at, so I guess it was just on your computer. Needs to be on the internet somewhere
2. Use images from somewhere that will let you dynamically set the exported size in the URL. Don't think photobucket can do it.

...so easiest solution is get a free image hosting account somewhere (e.g. photobucket), resize the graphic, upload, paste URL as avatar. Voila.

Posted : 10/08/2011 6:51 am
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Seriously? You are leaving because you can't figure out how to resize an avatar? And even after I increased the size so you could have a bigger avatar? You think a board is better because you can upload an avatar? I've got to tell you, the content of a post is not made better or worse by the picture next to it.

Posted : 10/08/2011 9:57 am
(@tactful)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

No Nick,like the third post here reads it is no big deal.I am not leaving as it also says in another post And I Agree content IS more important.it matters little about what appears next to a name.Time on the other hand is a big deal!I have early AM or late PM to fool with a computer. I'd Rather be playing my guitar.so having a forum to moderate(I'll check it) is on a back burner too as are other visited fora.
maybe one day I will have time for everything but right now I just will not be around or not posting much not as if I have.like on mine is over 5K(still 3Kish short of you Nick) .time for a break that's all.
imalone

one size in photobucket is 160px × 100px on left the right one is 160px × 120px but like I said along with Nick it does not matter.
played with photobucket's tools before and was successful.maybe another time HA! when I actually have Time.

Posted : 10/08/2011 1:08 pm