Organizational Structure

27 Posts
15 Users
0 Likes
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member
Topic starter

OK I had no idea what to call this post so I put that down, but I've been thinking about what would improve the site and I have an idea, don't have all the deatils of a solution but I thought I'd through it out there and see what people think.

Now realistically most questions related to playing guitar are asked by the newbies here, and like all newbies they go through the same frustrations and have the same questions and they keep getting asked over and over and over. Once you get past the basics the posts are more about gear and tone and posting collabs etc.

Is there some way to keeb an archive list or something similar to what Mike did for the easy songs. So rather than have the next 100 new members ask about practice schedules etc., as one of the items in the Beginner Things to Know would be one listed as Practice Schedule or something. I know I've seen very detailed replies to this question by Noteboat and Kingpatzer so what not somehow post those permantly so they don't have to keep getting asked over and over.

It should be easy to start the list cuz it seems everyone asks, how to practice, how long, what to practice, my fingers hurt, how long will it take to play this.

The part I haven't figured out is how to start. All these questions have been answered hundreds of times and some are fantastic and shouldn't get lost in space.

Does this even make sense?

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

Posted : 04/01/2008 5:11 pm
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Lately I was reading a Spanish forum and it has this kind of indexes for some topics, for example, on pedals and effects, the part in which I'm interested.

In this case the index is not only a system for reading old info, it also is a way to access to previous threads and continue with them. I mean, some threads started two or three years ago and they have ten or more pages. A new question or comment on a pedal is made in its own thread. Thus, it is very easy to read all the info and comments on a specific topic.

To me, it seems a great idea! :D

Posted : 04/01/2008 8:59 pm
(@rmorash)
Estimable Member

Definitely makes sense to me and would help me immensely as I get lost in the theory quite easily. Should this go ahead, I would be willing to volunteer to help put it together. Mind you, I'm weak on the theory and know little about webpages but I'd be willing to put the effort in if it's a go.

Posted : 05/01/2008 5:46 pm
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

While it would be a useful addition, you also have to consider that somebody new asking the question stimulates discussion and 'de-lurks' them for other discussion too. You can have too much of a good thing...

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

Posted : 05/01/2008 9:28 pm
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

people really need to use the search feature to get the best this site has to offer.

#4491....

Posted : 06/01/2008 12:13 am
(@rahul)
Famed Member

New people who join here, join with a hope that their questions will be answered. So, I believe they have a right to ask whenever they are in doubt. If we know of a thread that can answer their question well, we can point them out in that direction.

If we are positive to them in this way, they can search it out themselves next time.

Posted : 06/01/2008 9:02 am
(@davidhodge)

Also, having a question asked again gives a newbie (or relative newbie) the chance to answer it as well. I know a lot of folks here are now answering some of the same questions they asked when they first joined. Answering the "usual questions" i's both a great way to learn and to solidify the knowledge that one has accumulated.

Then, there's also the occasional new twist to the answer...

Peace

Posted : 06/01/2008 1:15 pm
(@embrace_the_darkness)
Honorable Member

If GN were to work in this way. surely it would just become a libary of FAQ's about guitar, and not a living always-changing discussion about everyone's favourite hobby?

As was said before, the great thing here on GN is that the newbies can have thier questions answered by people who asked the same question and got the answer they needed, while at the same time, are able to get the ideas and opinions of several different people on the same subject.

Pete

ETD - Formerly "10141748 - Reincarnate"

Posted : 06/01/2008 6:29 pm
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Well see it wasn't such a great idea. I hear what you guys are saying but I've seen so many really great detailed responses to questions that you may never see again and it seems a shame they get lost. I know you can search but you may not get to the post easily or at all.

I'm was thinking along the lines of pulling the best of the responses and archiving those. I know in particular I there are a couple of NoteBoats and Kingpatzers that were really good posts and took some time to write it it just seems crazy that if they wanted to answer somone's question in the same detail it would take a fair amount of time. There have been many other great posts from many other people but I just happened that those two stuck out.

I wouldn't suggest the forum just become an archive of FAQ's but there is a lot of redundancy in the questions and many are simple enough that an answer can just be looked up.

The other thing I have a bit of a difference of opinion having newbie's answer other newbies question. At that stage they are not all that "qualified" to answer any but the simplest guestions usually and I see alot if mis-information being propagated with responses from people that have no clue what they are talking about.

Posted : 07/01/2008 12:45 pm
(@davidhodge)

My fault there - should have said "not newbies anymore" or "recently newbies."

We have a Wiki page, which Paul spent heaven knows how much time and trouble setting up, which was meant for everyone to do just as you said, take responses to FAQs and edit and tweak and put together. But no one uses it...

We also have a FAQ page, so maybe someone might be able to start combining the two?

Peace

Posted : 07/01/2008 3:25 pm
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

OK I had no idea what to call this post so I put that down, but I've been thinking about what would improve the site and I have an idea, don't have all the deatils of a solution but I thought I'd through it out there and see what people think.

Now realistically most questions related to playing guitar are asked by the newbies here, and like all newbies they go through the same frustrations and have the same questions and they keep getting asked over and over and over. Once you get past the basics the posts are more about gear and tone and posting collabs etc.

Is there some way to keeb an archive list or something similar to what Mike did for the easy songs. So rather than have the next 100 new members ask about practice schedules etc., as one of the items in the Beginner Things to Know would be one listed as Practice Schedule or something. I know I've seen very detailed replies to this question by Noteboat and Kingpatzer so what not somehow post those permantly so they don't have to keep getting asked over and over.

It should be easy to start the list cuz it seems everyone asks, how to practice, how long, what to practice, my fingers hurt, how long will it take to play this.

The part I haven't figured out is how to start. All these questions have been answered hundreds of times and some are fantastic and shouldn't get lost in space.

Actually, I think it makes a lot of sense, and I think you answered your own question. If you (cnev) make a new topic called "Beginners Favorites" and add the links to the best answers you've seen, then you'll have what you're looking for. And one of us would make it a Sticky for your convenience. You could edit it to add new posts as time goes on. I did something similar at the top of the Bass and Live Sound forums, and included links to the relevant GN lessons as well.

Sneaky way of delegating the work, yes?

Posted : 07/01/2008 4:00 pm
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Laz,

You must be in management? Well I was only suggesting someone else to it. HA..Actually that's only half true. I wouldn't have a problem doing that. But I only log on here from work so I'm very limited in what I can do and even though I am an IT person I don't have a computer at home so this is the only time I could do it.

But sure when I see a great response to a post I can post it there but I had hoped for a little more structured setting.

We can create topic headings ahead of time for many since they are asked so often, like practice schedules, those were the ones that I remember King and Note having great responses to and should be somewhere where somone could actually read them again.

But there are several others that always come up too, like hand postion, strumming etc.

So if a heading was practice schedules, someone could go right there and read the posts.

Or if they wanted to know about strumming go there first.

Before the easy song index someone would have to post, Does anyone have the tab for song x, now you can at least look first and then if it's not there post asking for it.

Posted : 07/01/2008 5:37 pm
(@racetruck1)
Honorable Member

How about stickying the Wiki page in the Beginners section? I didn't even know it existed for the first few months I was here.

I think that it's important to get a little "personalized" response when you are a beginner, I think that keeps people coming back and asking more questions. Having a FAQ section is all well and good but I think that people want to make a connection to others who have experianced the same problems.

A FAQ section would be good for stuff like "How to tune your guitar" or "Smashing your hand with a hammer to tuoghen up sore fingers".

But I think that getting specific answers to actually playing a guitar is what everyone likes, "Yes Johnny, I've found that using my big toe on my right foot is helpful when playing 'Ode to Joy'!"

I think we should keep it the way it is.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming......
like the passengers in his car.

Posted : 08/01/2008 1:40 pm
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member
Topic starter

racetruck,

You guys are all correct and I agree with most everything you say. I think you all envision it being like when you have to call some big company and keep getting routed to a new number and never get to talk to a real human.

I don't think it would ever come to that. But things like a practice schedule it's a fairly straight forward response, here it is. Now if someone looked that up and found a schedule from Noteboat or KingP or whomever than they can surely ask a follow up question but to have to constantly repost the schedule every few weeks when some other newbie asks seems like a waste of time and space to me.

Know I'm not sure what was envisioned by the creators of this site, but it most definitely is geared to beginner's. I read the posts cuz I've become alittle obssessed with guitar but honestly unless it's in the theory or equipment sections I'm not learning much about how to play guitar anymore. Now I have been playing for a few years now and I do take private lessons (man you'd never know it)

Once you get to the intermediate level or beyond there ain't much here. That may have been the intent all along and if that's so then it's all good. But if not then to me it would be better served to archive those newbie questions and make them easy to find.

Posted : 08/01/2008 2:30 pm
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

i think beginners should ask questions to their hearts content, especially questions that may solicit differing opinions as to how things can be done.
and i believe I've tried to offer up my limited suggestions fairly often.

what irks me tho, are the seemingly repetitive questions like "whats a capo?" and "what kind of strings should i use?" etc.

these are best and thoroughly answered by simply entering a search.

sure some searches may require a few trys to narrow the field, but i can't count how many times related searches here have taken me off on a tangent only to expose me to something i wasn't even looking for.

this is what i meant about this site being utilized to it's fullest through the oft ignored search feature.

#4491....

Posted : 08/01/2008 7:23 pm
Page 1 / 2