27 Posts
15 Users
0 Likes
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Twisty,

I agree and somewhat disagree if that makes sense. Having to answer posts like what's a capo, which is a valid question, doesn't need to be reposted every other day and have 15 different people repond it's just a waste of time.

The same with the practice schedules that noteboat and KingP posted. If you asked them again I'm sure they'd tell you the same thing so why keep regurgitating it over and over.

I do agree with you about having someone answering your posts making you feel like someone is actually listening, but I guess my point is, organize the mundane, same ol same ol kind of questions to keep the redundancy to a minimum and then let them ask questions after they have had time to digest what they read.

Right now the search engine doesn't get you exactly to where you may want to be with out rereading alot of posts to finally find the answer. It's not like I can put in "Practice Schedule" and I'm brought to a page with a practice schedule, all you do is get a list of posts that may be realted to it but to find the real nugget you are looking for you have to start shifting through all the other nonsense to find it.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

Posted : 08/01/2008 8:33 pm
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

yeah, maybe the search feature could be tweaked or something to be easier to get what you want. it always seems to take me 3 or 4 trys to get what i'm looking for

#4491....

Posted : 08/01/2008 8:35 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

We have a Wiki page, which Paul spent heaven knows how much time and trouble setting up, which was meant for everyone to do just as you said, take responses to FAQs and edit and tweak and put together. But no one uses it...

So where IS the Wiki page? I'm sure there used to be a link to it somewhere, but I can't find it!!!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 04/02/2008 11:40 pm
(@davidhodge)

So where IS the Wiki page? I'm sure there used to be a link to it somewhere, but I can't find it!!!

I'm ashamed to say it's been so long since I've been on it I had to look for it through the search engine on the home page! But here it is:

https://www.guitarnoise.com/wiki/doku.php

Still intact and ready to use...

Peace

Posted : 04/02/2008 11:49 pm
(@davidhodge)

I don't think it's just you. I just wrote to Paul about it...

Peace

Posted : 05/02/2008 12:18 am
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

I thought the Wiki was gone because there's nothing pointing to it on the homepage (unless I'm missing it). If we want to keep that feature active, we should consider advertising it somehow.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

Posted : 05/02/2008 10:09 am
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

So, I just tried logging in using my GN username and password. No luck.

When I entered "Vic Lewis VL" as username, the GNWiki site corrected it to vic_lewis_vl....which I've never seen the GN boards do.

Does one have to register? I don't see anything - or is this GNWiki part of Wikipedia, and if so, does one have to be registered with THEM?

How DO you get into GNWiki?!!!!!??????

:? :? :?

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 06/02/2008 3:52 am
(@paulhackett)
Prominent Member Admin

I haven't had time to look at the wiki in ages either. The login isn't the same as your forum login. And it isn't related to wikipedia in any way.

I've been really busy working on some other behind the scenes things that you may start seeing in March.

Guitar Noises Newsletter

Posted : 06/02/2008 10:15 am
(@scrybe)
Famed Member

kewl kewl, well I don't wanna jump in with an opinion until I see what's in the works for March, but since the GN forums have been slimmed down recently, why not add a section called "best/most useful post" or "users teach" or "hall of fame" or something along those lines. then, when someone asks a question and a particularly good response is posted, the mods can simply add it to that 'special section' in addition to it appearing in its original section. or one of us could pm a mod about its usefulness.

that would keep the forum alive/active and keep newbies welcome and discussion flowing, but would also supply a direct-link to quality answers to key guitar playing (or other) questions. and more experienced players/teachers could drop by that section to 'flesh out' any key posts with things they wanna dd, or post links to GN lessons or stuff.

but, and this is a big but.......I think if you did add this section to the forums you could think up a better name than the rubbish ones I suggested above.

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

Posted : 07/02/2008 5:12 pm
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

some great ideas here, i am also excited to see the changes as they come. this site and forums have changed for the better in the short time i've been here and i'm sure the improvements to come will make this an even better community.
btw, whats a wiki? :mrgreen:

#4491....

Posted : 07/02/2008 5:19 pm
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

btw, whats a wiki? :mrgreen:
From my understanding, it's where the definitions or information for terms are supplied by the users.
The users contribute the definitions.
(Which leaves some doubt as to the authenticity or reliability of the info)
Caveat emptor type of thing.

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

Posted : 09/02/2008 5:24 pm
Page 2 / 2