Software or Technol...

Notifications
Clear all

Software or Technology Section

23 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@Anonymous)

How about a Software or Technology section to post questions about software related to music. I have been playing a lot with Band In A Box and a few others and it would be nice to have a section here to share tips, files, etc as well as ask/answer questions related to music software. In this day and age technology is intergrated into just about everything so I KNOW many here have questions and tips regarding these things. Software could include Guitar Pro, PowerTab, BIAB, Finale, Cubase, Audacity (seems to be the big one lately!), FruityLoops, etc. Hardware could include midi controllers and whatever else you can think of (sorry midi controllers is all I could thing of in regards to hardware.

I know many post these questions in the Guitar Players Discussion or In The Studio sections but I feel they need their own section even if it was just for searchability. Tutorials could even be posted there as well.

So how about it Admins...l? :wink:

Posted : 01/09/2006 3:50 pm
 Pet
(@pet_1567860324)
Estimable Member

I second that.

"We Are The Facilitators Of Our Own Creative Evolution".

Posted : 01/09/2006 6:20 pm
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Hmm -- don't see how any of this wouldn't fit pretty well into live, home studio or amp/EFX sections.

The only tech category that seem to stand out as a bit different is learning and playing aids such as BIAB (though fits in live and studio as well), looping/speed shifting devices, 'nomes and similar.

-=tension & release=-

Posted : 01/09/2006 8:07 pm
(@Anonymous)

Hmm -- don't see how any of this wouldn't fit pretty well into live, home studio or amp/EFX sections.

The only tech category that seem to stand out as a bit different is learning and playing aids such as BIAB (though fits in live and studio as well), looping/speed shifting devices, 'nomes and similar.

Respectfully I think you're wrong gnease. In The studio is about RECORDING projects. The Software section would encompase MUCH more than that. It could include midi design/creation, program preferences, etc. It would be more specific than what is in the Studio section. Plus it would all be in ONE section...much easier to navigate. Some of the other sections are too broad of categories. even if a subforum were created WITHIN the In The Studio section it would be better. Subforums would actually give LESS work to the moderators as well. Members will be able to see WHERE their question goes. I noticed that whenever someone doesn't know where to put something it usually goes in the Guitar Players Discussion and then within a day or 2 a mod moves it to its proper location.

Posted : 01/09/2006 8:18 pm
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

My opinion (and that's all it is) is, that GN is a guitar site, not a software site. The number of questions, that arise, is relatively small and can be dealt with, within the current structure. Many of the questions could also be answered by more intelligent use (i.e. any use) of the search function.
The number of questions about MIDI is even less than about software and is directly related to amps or effects, for which we already have a forum.
Subforums would actually give LESS work to the moderators as well.
On the contrary - it's one MORE forum to have to look through.
Members will be able to see WHERE their question goes.
Members DECIDE which forum to put their question in - they KNOW where it goes.
I noticed that whenever someone doesn't know where to put something it usually goes in the Guitar Players Discussion and then within a day or 2 a mod moves it to its proper location.
This is the same, no matter what the subject matter - it is not the exclusive domain of questions about software/MIDI.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

Posted : 01/09/2006 9:08 pm
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

The argument that more sections would be easier for moderators only applies if everyone knows where to post. You are proposing to create more categories -- more choices generally lead to uncertainty. Take the limiting cases for moderators: One category: never any moves. Many categories: More poster errors, more moderator thought required, more possible moderator errors as well (does happen). In any case, I will let the moderators decide that, not pretend I know what they wish -- they will figure it out.

I will argue for fewer sections from the POV of reader discovery. If we try to over-categorize topics, then those scanning the forums may miss new ideas and interests that may broaden horizons. Why? Because many members habitually cruise the same subgroup of sections during each visit. If the sections become narrower, then the chance of discovery outside of one's normal experience and habits is diminished. It's not quite as enriching an experience.

Studios are not just for recording. They are for practicing and auditioning (listening), as well. For example, instructors often teach in studios.

BTW: "I disagree" would be more in line with "respectfully" -- not "you're wrong" So, Mike, I disagree with you on this, but you are not necessarily wrong, but simply have a different POV (or is that a different, simple POV :wink: ... sorry, couldn't resist.)

-=tension & release=-

Posted : 01/09/2006 9:12 pm
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

As a reader I tend to side with the others. I understand the thought process of having a particular place for each widget (I am not trying to over simplify but just trying to use illusion to illistrate) but as a reader less categories is better for me. I visit other musical forums and a brewers forum and both simply have to many categories for my taste. That is one of the special traits I enjoy about GN. In fact, were it my site to butcher I can think of a few that I would get rid of here.. But its not..

Jim

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

Posted : 01/09/2006 9:33 pm
(@Anonymous)

gnease, I apologize...it was a mental slip :wink:

But just out of curiousity I did a search for "midi" and on one page alone I found TEN topics (NOT including any of my own posts!) pertaining to software. That's just on one page of results only using the phrase "midi". I didn't count the one's on page 2 of the results but at a glace it looks as if there are AT LEAST as many regarding software. This was also only scaning the topic headings...there may have been others WITHIN other topics.

This very well may just be a guitar site but software seems to be the media of choice to be considered and "accessory" to guitar playing just like effects, picks, capos, etc.

As usual this is just my 2 cents. No use having a suggestions forum if it isn't going to be used! :wink:

Posted : 01/09/2006 9:51 pm
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Yes, I did a search, as well. The vast majority of hits were for incidental mentions of MIDI:
"what i think is the coolest feature of it is that it will will play an MIDI version of the song "
"I can change from transparent clean to over the edge distortion just by stepping on the midi switcher"
"I use Cubase, but mostly for MIDI stuff with EWQLSO... " - Question about Cubase, but this was the ONLY mention of MIDI
In 35 replies, to a question about V-AMP2, this is the sum total of MIDI mentions:
"I edit my patches on my PC via a MIDI cable as it allows you to rename and save them. You could try this if you have a MIDI adapter."
"I should get the midi connection up and running soon....."
".....(you will need a USB to Midi cable)...."

Post on "New Free Advanced Recording Software":
"It handles most media formats as wav, mp3, midi, etc. "

Out of 343 hits for "midi", there were only 3, posted in 2006, with the word in the title, one of which asked "I'm trying to figure out how to post midi's on the site...........". All the remaining 340 were references to midi, incidental to the main theme of the thread.
I'm sorry, but, to my mind, that doesn't add up to any tenable case for a new forum.

There seems to be a similar situation, as far as I can see, with software. I got 219 references in 2006, many of which came in Online Jams & Collaborations, Hear Hear, Reviews and Freebies, none of which would change, even if there were a new forum. Others were, again, incidental to the main theme (e.g. "how do I power my mic?")

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

Posted : 02/09/2006 7:53 am
(@Anonymous)

You know I have to ask this...why is there even a Suggestions forum on GN? I have been a member here for a little over a year and only ONE suggestion was ever used and that was later removed (remember the Opinions forum was switched to a General discussion forum). I have seen a lot of good suggestions given yet there is always someone who strikes the idea down for one reason or another. I scanned this forum and noticed that none of the suggestions are ever used. It appears to me that the powers that be are so set in there ways there isn't any room for growth.

Posted : 02/09/2006 11:12 am
(@davidhodge)

There's a difference between "growth" and "progress." And there's also a whole lot that goes on behind the scenes at Guitar Noise that comes directly from the suggestion forums.

The idea of any suggestions box is, obviously, not to implement every suggestion, but rather to determine (a) will it make GN a better site (b) will it make things easier (c) will it mean less work for those who run and moderate things and thus free them up for other work. Most important of all, it has to fit the vision Paul has of Guitar Noise (which is still about being a guitar tutorial site - the forum page itself is an added bonus when you remember what the place was originally meant to be) and also fit in with what Paul is able to do in terms of cost and implementation. After all, it's his house.

Most of the suggestions that you get anywhere (much like the "favorite" lists concerning both artists and gear) tend to be a lot more about the person writing it rather than about the thing itself. That's just life and no one should attach any "good" or "bad" connotation with it. If we have 10,000 members or even one or two hundred relatively active members, the idea is to make improvements that work for the majority of the membership. Otherwise we'd have a hundred different little forum pages. And we'd need about five hundred moderators! :wink:

Still, because there are so many forum members, there is always the probability that some idea will pop up that works. MacDonald's had been open for close to twenty years before some employee suggested "why can't we serve breakfast?"

One never knows what suggestions are being thrashed out by Paul or by the moderators (and we're constantly discussing the viability of suggestions among ourselves) at any given moment. This forum itself is so far different than what it was even three years ago, that it's kind of overwhelming.

This particular page is about making and discussing ideas. No final decisions are made here because all final decisions are Paul's to make. As it should be.

So keep the suggestions coming. You never know what's going to work or not.

Peace

Posted : 02/09/2006 12:24 pm
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

I think mike has a point. There is a fine line between what we have and what he suggests, but I wonder if we could make it a bit broader and still have it fit.

Posted : 02/09/2006 1:31 pm
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Actually, Mike, several of the forums are the results of suggestions made in this forum and other changes in the ways moderators handle some of the forum topics have resulted from discussions among us generated by threads here. Guitar repair and maintenance, Easy Song Database, Lessons forum, Hear Here, Meet and Greet, Slide and Alternate Tunings, Games and Trivia are all forums that have been created as a result of ideas generated in this forum. Your representation of the forum isn't quite accurate. But there are also suggestions that aren't taken up, but only after we've discussed them. None of the suggestions are taken lightly.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

Posted : 02/09/2006 1:36 pm
(@Anonymous)

I apologize to the mods & admins...I know all of you have a "secret" forum for private discussions. However, if you look at it from a "normal" member's point of view the ideas posted here have been constantly turned down here. Yes I know not EVERY suggestion can be added..that's ridiculous. Plus I am sure there have been changes made BECAUSE of the suggestions. However, based on the past year since I have been a member I can only recall one suggestion being used. Of course I am still partial to the DIY Forum & Software Forum being added (2 of my suggestions) but I have seen others with great ideas as well. Sorry I don't have time to post them right now (I am trying to clean for my mother's annual Labor Day Weekend visit :roll: :wink: !) and posting in between chores!

Posted : 02/09/2006 1:43 pm
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

A forum to deal specifically with effects, chains and order thereof. In other words not to deal with amps or guitars but what goes in between.

A forum to deal with software Line6, Acid, tabbing, mixing, directx and VST plugins etc.

Posted : 02/09/2006 3:29 pm
Page 1 / 2