Notifications
Clear all

Spelling !!!!

71 Posts
33 Users
0 Likes
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

Long story short - either. 'Whilst' is an older version that hasn't survived as well as 'while', but they're basically the same thing. 'Whilst' seems to come across as being more formal than 'while', in my experience at least.

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

Posted : 21/04/2006 7:56 am
(@the-dali)
Noble Member

My main problem is that I type too quickly and then just hit "submit." Luckily, we have the ability to edit our posts... I must edit every other post I submit.

I think the issue isn't school or concentration but society. We all work (or play) on computers all day and we've become programmed to allow the spell-checking programs in email and word processors to correct our mistakes. I know that I've mis-spelled a word or two in an email - and been conscious of the mis-spelling - and simply relied on the spell check program to catch the error.

One was an email to my Vice President and his associates in which I started the email as:

Hell All,

Didn't catch that until I hit "send"...

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

Posted : 26/05/2006 8:06 pm
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

ROFLMAO!!! :D

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

Posted : 26/05/2006 11:45 pm
(@racetruck1)
Honorable Member

Just remember 10 out of 2 people are dyslexic! :wink:

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming......
like the passengers in his car.

Posted : 08/06/2006 11:42 pm
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Yeah........... A woman was asked how old she was and she replied, "24, but ever since I turned 40 I've become a little dyslexic!" :D

¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

Posted : 09/06/2006 12:11 am
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Dyslexia: If you can spell it, you haven't got it.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

Posted : 09/06/2006 8:50 am
(@ghost)
Prominent Member

Just remember 10 out of 2 people are dyslexic! :wink:

I'm one of the two people when it comes to math. A college teacher pointed it out to me when I solved a math problem, did everything correct up til the answer, where numbers would be transposed wrong.

GN has been good with warning members not to use IM speak. Would a spell check be a good thing? Most times I type faster then what my brain is wanting to say, usually leaving a word out and editing to fix it.

"If I had a time machine, I'd go back and tell me to practise that bloody guitar!" -Vic Lewis

Everything is 42..... again.

Posted : 19/06/2006 8:09 pm
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

i keep this site in my favorites folder http://www.m-w.com/ whenever i am unsure of proper spelling or definition i just type the word into the field and if i'm close in the spelling (i usually am) the word will come up in the list with links to definitions as well. it's a great tool for improving your vocabulary

#4491....

Posted : 19/06/2006 8:39 pm
(@corbind)
Noble Member

My eyes hurt reading some of that stuff some of you typed. AHHHHHH! :evil: It's very disturbing to have the eyes scan through them.

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

Posted : 05/09/2006 8:33 pm
(@ghost)
Prominent Member

Could be worse. Typing in YELLOW. :o

"If I had a time machine, I'd go back and tell me to practise that bloody guitar!" -Vic Lewis

Everything is 42..... again.

Posted : 06/09/2006 11:23 pm
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Or in WHITE!

¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´

Posted : 07/09/2006 10:09 pm
(@rodders)
Noble Member
Topic starter

clever cloggs !!!!!

Nice one Electra :lol:

Be excellent to each other & party on dudes!
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=686668

Posted : 07/09/2006 10:13 pm
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

Never notised this but gogle has a spel chekcer in its towl bar. I might start useing it

Jim

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

Posted : 08/09/2006 10:37 am
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

Here's a link to the spell checker Nils has been talking about IE Spell

joe

Posted : 10/09/2006 5:05 am
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Misspelling drives me crazy too. Seems with the internet, people spell properly less and less. And it's never difficult words too. Another observation, people seem to have a facination with the letter 'a.' I've seen a lot of: feals, neads, definatly, possable and other places as well. Which is weird, because these are all common words. Or things like 'payed' or 'tryed.' Again, very common words.

And yes, the people that do this do have english as their first language. Probably a snob, but meh.

Posted : 18/09/2006 5:11 am
Page 3 / 5