Clear all

Switch Name and Message

8 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@hyperborea)
Prominent Member
Topic starter

Could the setting for the board be changed to put the name and avatar of the poster on the left like it used to be in the old board? I find it much more difficult to read and follow the postings the way it is now.

Thanks.

Pop music is about stealing pocket money from children. - Ian Anderson

Posted : 10/09/2007 7:04 pm
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

+1 signed :lol:

#4491....

Posted : 10/09/2007 8:28 pm
(@paulhackett)
Prominent Member Admin

Right now we're using phpBB as it comes out of the box. These are the standard features and settings. Over time I should be able to customize things a bit more. Your suggestion is duly noted.

Guitar Noises Newsletter

Posted : 11/09/2007 5:25 am
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Personally, I like having it on the right. Sometimes change is good! :wink:

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

Posted : 11/09/2007 10:08 am
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Personally, I like having it on the right. Sometimes change is good! :wink:

+1 to that! :D

If you have 1028x728 resolution, it looks fine either way, (like I have at work), but I have 800x600 resolution at home, and I can read the messages, and the avatars get chopped at the end of the screen. No biggie, I can just scroll over if I want to see them. If the avatars were on the right, I'd have to scroll back & forth to read every message! That would stink. Change is good! 8)

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 11/09/2007 11:44 am
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Probably the avatar on the left it is better. I'll explain myself. We write from left to right and we are get used to this direction in other activities as for example the western cinema, usually the eastern cinema uses the other convention.

When you read the post you start form the left and you can also see the avatar. We know all our avatars so it was very easy (you don't have to read the name) to know who is the author with the old interface.

Now, you have to read the author's name, written with a small font and with a low contrast color, or move your eyes to the opposite side of the window which creates a lot of ocular fatigue.

Posted : 11/09/2007 9:38 pm
(@conuvial)
Trusted Member

Please don't change it back - it's perfect like it is.

Rather than having to start reading a post approximately a quarter of the way into the page - all important info is now left justified. Subject, name, then the post; simple and concise.

Avatars change - user names don't (at least not as easily).

If I have a choice between easily reading a post with new information, or having to look past an avatar and personal info I've seen tens, hundreds, maybe thousands of times, I choose the putting the post first.

"...it's in him, and it got to come out..." - JLH

Posted : 12/09/2007 5:10 am
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

Paul, I read your post in the other forum, I didn't realize there was a thread already about changes here, my apologies.

Maybe it'd be best to get a poll going for this subject?

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

Posted : 13/09/2007 9:38 am