Clear all

Teacher list

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@oldiron)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Excuse me if this has been covered, it's been awhile since I've checked this board on a regular basis.

One of the big guitar instruction publishers has a list of guitar teachers on one of their sites. Problem is there is NO organization to it. The teachers are listed by who signed up first making it impossible to find a local teacher. I have recently relocated across the country and am looking for a local teacher. A teacher referral organized by state would be a big help to myself and probably a number of others. Maybe some of our advanced members might like to pick up a few bucks helping out some of the folks like me who need a little more help than what we can get on the net.

I may be going to hell in a bucket but at least I'm enjoying the ride. (Jerry Garcea)

Posted : 18/09/2007 3:14 pm
(@davidhodge)

There are places like this on the web. One that comes to mind is MusicStaff.com, which you can find at this URL:

http://musicstaff.com/

How it works is that you put in your instrument of choice, zip code and a radius of miles and it will give you a list of teachers in that area. The down side is that they only list teachers who have signed up and not everyone does.

And that's the main problem with most sites - you can only list teachers who are members. Many teachers simply don't and that can be for all sorts of reasons. Where do you live? Perhaps people here might be able to make referrals or to ask around for you.

Peace

Posted : 19/09/2007 1:37 am
(@oldiron)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

I live in Cranes Mill Texas which is about 20 miles from New Braunfels and 35 from San Antonio. The general area is Canyon Lake Tx. This is a hot area for live music and I would think there would be more than a few pickers who would be looking for an extra few bucks.

I may be going to hell in a bucket but at least I'm enjoying the ride. (Jerry Garcea)

Posted : 19/09/2007 1:58 am
(@davidhodge)

Ah, but therein lies part of the problem - many (if not most) guitar teachers are guitarists first and teachers second. So their priority is not always on getting more students or even making an effort to get some. You might find it easier to go the "traditional" routes for your search: music stores, local papers, community colleges and the like.

But now that we've got a locale on you, we can see if there are any word-of-mouth recommendations...

Come on all y'all Texans! :wink:

Peace

Posted : 19/09/2007 2:05 am
(@madisgp)

Sorry I don't live in Tx. I could use a few more students. Anyone looking for a teacher in the San Bernardino Mountains of California???? Which reminds me of why I'm posting here in the first place,,,, How about a Teachers Forum? A place where we can ask questions about problem students, tips for more effective teaching, how to get more new students, how to run the business of teaching, advertising etc. etc. ... ??

Posted : 19/12/2007 7:04 pm