Web site

20 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@anubis)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Hello again!  ;D

I was wondering... will it be ok if I were to translate some of the lessons here in my native language and upload them on web-site? (giving all credits to guitar noise offcourse)

I`m asking this because there is no website ressembeling https://www.guitarnoise.com and I think that Romanian guitarists would appreciate a web-site about guitar that has the great lessons held here at guitarnoise.com especially if they are in Romanian. I was thinking of translateing https://www.guitarnoise.com lessons at least untill we get a community on its feet and we can start writing our own lessons. So tell me if it`s ok...if it`s not that`s ok too, I understand.

Thanks!

Life is ours,we live it our way!

Posted : 08/04/2004 8:18 am
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

You'll have to talk to Paul about that, but you have my permission to translate my lessons.  For what that is worth.

My songwriting articles are already in Dutch.

If you do, all I ask is that you send me a copy and a link.

Posted : 08/04/2004 1:26 pm
(@anubis)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Thanks Mr. Nick!  ;D

It`s a start. I hope Paul will answer this post too.

Thanks again!

Posted : 08/04/2004 1:39 pm
(@paulhackett)
Prominent Member Admin

Let me pass the ball to David. He is in charge of content.  We do allow translations and David has a set of guidelines somewhere.  It's ok for you to start translating, and hopefully David will repsond with the details.

Guitar Noises Newsletter

Posted : 08/04/2004 2:50 pm
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

Do the automatic web-translators work well for Romanian?  Or is there too much music-specific vocabulary?

-Laz

Posted : 08/04/2004 9:50 pm
(@markyesme)
Estimable Member

Automatic translators are notoriously bad for any language, regardless of the type of vocabulary being used.  If you have some idea, you may be able to cull some of the idea of a given page from the "translation", but that would be all it would be good for.  Any nuance would be completely lost, and much stuff would simply be incoherent, so you would run across about as many frustrating moments as you would enlightening ones.

But I digress.....

Mark :)

PS. I was a Spanish-English-Spanish translator/interpreter in an earlier life (and being certified, still am asked to do a little every now and again), so I guess that makes me pseudo-qualified to opine, but you know what they say about opinions....

The Easy Song Database: http://www2.shore.net/~maryesme/bin/easy.cgi

Take part in its creation: https://www.guitarnoise.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=7

Posted : 09/04/2004 2:42 am
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Yes, they are.  Recently a colleague proudly showed me his automatic translator.  I asked him to have it translate "what time is it?"  It responded with the German equivalent for "Which era is this?"

:D

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

Posted : 09/04/2004 2:45 am
(@anubis)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

indeed!  8)

Automatic translators are no good, especially for Romanian cause we have alot of  way we can interpret a word and our grammar is pretty difficult.

So ok! I`ll get on the job. If David answers then I`ll publish them if not...well...if not I have the guiatar noise book in romanian and I can learn whenever I like in mt own language....  ;D  I can even help my sis [who knows no english (she`s into french and italian)] learn to play guitar.

I await your reply.

Posted : 09/04/2004 9:05 am
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

There was once a report on computer translators, with examples of the more amusing results. One I remember was an English-Russian-English translation of "Out of sight, out of mind". The final result came back as "If you're blind, you're mad".

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

Posted : 09/04/2004 9:52 am
(@taylorr)
Prominent Member

I did that and got this "Outside of a field of vision, from opinion".

aka Izabella

Posted : 09/04/2004 9:58 am
(@davidhodge)

The bucket stops here, I guess!   ;)

Sorry it took so long to get to replying, but it's been, to once again display my amazing talent of understatement,  an interesting past few weeks. Plus I had to find the darn thing I'd written up ages ago...

But I have, so here goes:

MEMO TO STAFF

RE: Articles on other sites

We've been getting numerous requests from people about posting an article of ours on their sites. I would like to suggest that we adopt a uniform policy.

1) EVERYTHING has do be linked to the original article.

2) If possible, have the following disclaimer (or something very much like it) printed between the title and the article:

"This copyrighted article is reprinted with the express permission of (author) and Guitar Noise and is subject to all the pertinent copyright laws."  

3) Inform Paul and David of any articles being used.  

4) Try to make and save a hard copy of all emails pertaining to the request and subsequent posting.

So there you are! Not all that much to it, when you think about it. But I do have my own favor to ask:

It's a safe bet that none of the staff reads Romanian. So you, Anubis, and you alone are taking on a very important task. Guitar Noise is a highly regarded web site throughout the world, and we are asking you and we are trusting you to make sure to do your best to keep it that way. Think of it as getting a wonderful gift from a friend.

If you've got any questions or concerns about a translation, don't be afraid to ask first. Keep me updated on the translations as they go and give me the URL so that I can keep track as well.

Feel free to write me direct ([email protected]) about any matter, no matter how trivial.

I wish you the best of luck with this. Welcome to the nuclear family.

Peace

Posted : 09/04/2004 12:44 pm
(@anubis)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Wow!  :D

Thanks alot! OK! I`ll get started on translate a few articles at first from the begginer section, create the design and all and I`ll give you a preview of the thing so that you can tell me if it`s ok with and give me the green light to publish them on the web-site. Is this a good way to go or do you wanna` do it another way?

That`s my only question for now. Thanks again. ;D

Posted : 09/04/2004 3:26 pm
(@davidhodge)

Sounds like a good way to me. Keep me posted on how things are going.

And by the way, since no one's mentioned it yet, many, many thanks for taking the time in making this happen. It's a very cool thing to do!

Peace

Posted : 09/04/2004 4:20 pm
(@paulhackett)
Prominent Member Admin

Yes, thanks for taking up such a big project of translating articles.  We know it isn't easy.  But there are a lot of people who can benefit from your work.

I am hoping to make a page in the future with links to all the translated articles.  It only makes sense to let people reading this site know where they can find the translations.  You might get lots of readers form here too.

Guitar Noises Newsletter

Posted : 10/04/2004 5:04 pm
(@anubis)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

here`s a question for david!

For example: in your article "Your very own rosseta stone!" there is a part at the beggining  wich wouldn`t fit...is it ok if I take it out. It`s that part in wich you speak of your previous articles and relate to them in another way (I mean not regarding the lesson in "your very own rosseta stone")

And regarding this problem...is it ok if I take these parts out of the articles or would you want me to include these aswell?

Thanks

Posted : 12/04/2004 7:41 pm
Page 1 / 2