What makes GuitarNoise so GOOD???

15 Posts
15 Users
0 Likes
 Kyle
(@kyle)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

In my opinion this is the absoelute best environment for guitarists on the interenet, but I simply can't put my finger on why it's soooo fantastic. Any ideas?

The meaning of life? I've never heard a simpler question! Music.

Posted : 15/07/2004 4:20 pm
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Kyle,
Some 4000 posts ago the thing that drew me in was everyone's genuine willingness to help and be supportive. I think there's an authentic sense of community to the place. That's my take on it, anyway.
Tim

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

Posted : 15/07/2004 5:11 pm
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Yea and if it wasn't for all the Beatles nuts around here it would be perfect.....J/K Tim.

But Tim's right about the support, besides all the members Dave and Nick and the rest of the moderators/staff are all great and are genuinely concerned with helping everyone out.

If you look at some of the responses to posts here, people take alot of time to try and explain things and it's work, look at some of Noteboat's responses they're fantastic, he puts alot of effort into trying to explain things thouroughly, I have to take my hat off to him.

And one of the biggest reasons is that there is no flaming and stupid threads being perpetuated here, strictly guitar stuff and a few jokes here and there.

It's definitely the best I've seen.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

Posted : 15/07/2004 7:24 pm
(@corbind)
Noble Member

Well Kyle, I'm sitting on the curb just like you. I have no idea. Think about it. Guitarists out there do internet searches to find guitar stuff. It's likely they've come upon this place. You'll see many other forums are hideous and often cruel. There is an equal chances those snakes could come on this site and to these forums and poison it. But that has not happened even though there is about an equal chance of it for any forum.

But now let's say a bad element arrives. There are many kind volunteers who monitor these posts and spent a significant amount of their unpaid/free time helping the forum users. I've seen (albeit rare) moderators nudge responses to keep on track, give a more stern warning, or even lock down/delete a post. And I love it. That way I don't have to be subjected to inappropriate stuff.

So I'd say it's about the cream rising to the top. Good people come here and, if unsavory types show up, they are "retrained" or discarded. That's my guess. And we're only talking about the forums. I could type much, much more about the site in general and articles but I'll save that.

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

Posted : 20/07/2004 8:36 pm
(@tucker)
Estimable Member

The excellent thing about this place is everybody's the same - nobody's better than anybody else and we're all working towards one common goal. We are all here to know something we didn't know yesterday, and to impart wisdom to those who need it. Whereas some guitar forums have post-based hierarchy where more posts = more valid contribution, this is not the case here. I have, what, 2000 posts, and I'm learning things from people with 2 or 3.

Another plus to the "everybody's the same" ethic is that people can come here and be proud of and grateful for what they have - nobody is told their gear is useless and to get X guitar or Y amp on pain of death. And they're made to feel their contribution is valid. I wrote my first article for Guitar Noise when I'd been playing for a month (and it shows ;)) and I was encouraged to write more, which I couldn't understand at first. But the atmosphere here really is an atmosphere where everyone likes to see other people improve, and that's a very beautiful thing if you think about it.

I don't say this often enough, but if the ideals and attitudes of this forum were applied everywhere, the world would be in a much better state than it's in now.

Posted : 24/07/2004 8:49 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

We're all here because we want to get better - and the help, advice, support and encouragement I've had since I found GN has been incredible!!!

Tim hit the nail on the head - "a real sense of community," were his words I think - a community where everybody is willing to pitch in and help. It feels to me like an extended family, and I'm proud to be a member of said family!!!!

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 28/07/2004 4:13 pm
(@alangreen)

What does it for me here is that nobody takes themselves too seriously.

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

Posted : 28/07/2004 11:30 pm
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

nobody takes themselves too seriously
people really do that? (outside of elected officials, I mean...)
:)

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

Posted : 29/07/2004 5:46 am
(@steve-0)
Noble Member

The excellent thing about this place is everybody's the same - nobody's better than anybody else and we're all working towards one common goal.

Well said. I think that it's as popular as it is because there's so much to soak in with this site. Before I stumbled upon this site I was really just another hard rock guitarist, but this site has allowed me to see the wonders of genres like blues, classical and jazz.

Steve-0

Posted : 01/08/2004 7:28 pm
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

It's the fact that we breathe the same air and pick the same six strings. WITHOUT hatred! We are ALL equal.

Posted : 10/08/2004 3:36 am
(@fretzky)
Eminent Member

So I'd say it's about the cream rising to the top. Good people come here and, if unsavory types show up, they are "retrained" or discarded. That's my guess.

I agree. I've been a "committed resident" (as Musenfreund might say... :lol: ) here on the forums for 10 days now. I found an intelligence which prevails here. I have seen a diligence on the part of everyone to help and accept others into the community. Unsavoury types would be very lonely here, for these reasons. I've also seen an openness, (that I haven't seen anywhere else), of persons sharing personal stories and common experiences/enthusiasms.

Guitar Noise is a treasure. Thank you, for letting me in. You're stuck with me, now :wink:

Cheers,
Fretzky

Fretzky's Jukebox: Anna Begins--Counting Crows

Posted : 18/08/2004 7:41 pm
(@mattguitar_1567859575)
Noble Member

I'll give you some extremely good reasons....

1. All the people on here seem to be motivated to help others. In today's world, that's pretty priceless.
2. There's no back stabbing, sniping, and gereral unpleasantness. Beleive it or not I used to di a LOT of fishing and was really into one web site. But in the course of less that 2 months it got taken over by mindless morons who ruined it for others. Mods take note!
3. No matter what your level currently, or your aims, there is something on here to learn from. I am a comparitive beginner, but have learned tons of stuff from this site and am now posting songs to the ESD with alarming regularity ha ha. I guess that proves the point.
4. You have David Hodge who in my opinion writes the most amazing lessons. Some things in life are not easy to pick up from print, but David transfers his knowledge extremely well.
5. Some of the posters are real characters, and post INTERESTING posts, not just the same old stuff. Long may this continue.
6. Well Moderated, thanks guys
7. Very well designed web layout and easy to move around

Need i say any more? Just carry on as you are and your little army of string plucking fans will grow, for sure.

Cheers for everything anyone involved in this site has contributed, in a world where the £ or $ speaks volumes, to be able to access this level of material for zilch is truly amazing!!!!

Posted : 08/09/2004 3:32 pm
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

it got taken over by mindless morons who ruined it for others. Mods take note!

We all have our certification from the "Buzz Lightyear School of Guitar Site Moderation" (with free cattle prod and certificate, worth at least $3.99).

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

Posted : 08/09/2004 6:27 pm
(@cooker)
Estimable Member

I as read the posts on this subect,I couldn`t have said it any better ....
The only "attitude" on this site is a positvley charged one... thx to all of the originators,instigators and propagtors whom this site serves......

You can sleep when you`re dead!
"and baby all you need...is just a little more love"

Posted : 07/01/2005 8:54 pm
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

So I'd say it's about the cream rising to the top.

Well said.

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

Posted : 07/01/2005 9:33 pm