Notifications
Clear all

YaBB - why?

17 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@hockyfan)
Topic starter

I had previously sent an e-mail via the link on the bottom of the boards with no response, so I figured I'd try here. :)

Looking through these boards, I was quite surprised you were using yabb on such a large message board (as opposed to more powerful software such as vB or IPB). How has your board been operating using this software with that large a userbase? Is there a major reason that you are staying with yaBB?

I am in no way trying to bash yaBB, more just interested in knowing why you chose this over others.

h

Posted : 09/10/2003 11:41 am
(@davidhodge)

Hi

There's only one person who can answer the "why" for you and that's Paul Hackett, the gentleman who owns and runs Guitar Noise.

I happen to know that he's been involved in a project the past week and won't be back here on the boards until this upcoming weekend and maybe even early next week.

So please don't feel that no one wants to answer you, it's just that the one person who can isn't able to right at the moment.

By the bye, you could always email Paul directly - just go to the "About Us" page and link to his email @ddress.

Hope this helps.

Peace

Posted : 09/10/2003 12:11 pm
(@hockyfan)
Topic starter

Thanks there for the clearup, I had e-mail him at that address (hotmail, correct?) October 5th, so the reason there hasn't been any response would be because of this project you mentioned?

h

Posted : 09/10/2003 10:41 pm
(@davidhodge)

Definitely. I'm sure he'll get back to you on that. Your patience is appreciated!

Peace

Posted : 10/10/2003 1:04 pm
(@hockyfan)
Topic starter

Not a problem, and thanks - your time is appreciated. :)

h

Posted : 10/10/2003 1:06 pm
(@paulhackett)
Prominent Member Admin

Hi Hockeyfan,

Sorry I couldn't get to your email or message earlier. It's among several other hundred emails I want to get to. I need to get an email assistant.

Choosing YABB wasn't an easy choice.  I guess one of the big factors is the fact that it was free.  Another factor was that it could run on just about any server.  Earlier this year we switched to a new server with more options and could now support other boards that use php or something else.

The problem with changing to a better message board would be keeping all the data we have intact and getting the more than 2000 members familiar with a new system.  So far I think YABB has worked pretty well for us.  With occasional upgrades and new versions promised I think it will continue to improve for us.

What is your recommendation for a large message board and why? Your input can help with future decisions.

Guitar Noises Newsletter

Posted : 16/10/2003 3:49 am
(@hockyfan)
Topic starter

Well personally I used to use YaBB and had extensive database problems, which led me to IPB, and then to vBulletin. I'm certainly the most impressed with vB, and although it's not free, I had merged with another board as the owner was about to give it up, and he gave me his owned vB license.

I know vB has a very stable database and powerful user options and skinning options as well. In addition vB has also just released vB 3, which is now in Beta 7 stage and the RC will be upcoming. Is vB something that would interest you in any way? If so, or if you have questions feel free to e-mail me or let me know, and I will try and help you out.

By the way, I don't work for vB or any other message board. ;)

h

Posted : 17/10/2003 4:50 pm
(@corbind)
Noble Member

I know zero about platforms and the whole 'net site setup.  Nevertheless, that's cool hockeyfan that you possibly could help the site.  I believe Paul would like to keep using a free utility in that this site pays noone salaries.  It's just a gift to the whole world!  But even if vB does cost monthly maybe something could be worked out.  Maybe your expertise could be used to help transfer info to the better vB.  I kind of look at GN as a type of Amish community where you step up and help if a need comes up and your have specialized skills.  I've seen people here do great things.

;D

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

Posted : 17/10/2003 7:07 pm
(@hockyfan)
Topic starter

vBulletin does not require a monthly fee. You can get either a leased or an owned license. Owned means you can use one copy of vB forever, and leased means you can use it for a year then you have to renew. However, what does require money is the ability to upgrade. You have access to download new versions of vB as long as your member's area membership is active. This costs $30 to have access for a year.

Now, I have an owned license which means I can run vB for as long as I'd like. However, my member's area membership just expired, so I have the most recent stable version of vB (version 2.3.2), as well as vB version 3.0 Beta 6. (They are now on Beta 7). It would be a possibility that I could let GN have/use my vB license, but there would be some things that would need to be worked out first (I assume then I'd need to speak to Paul about that). Assuming we could work something out, you'd be able to have you choice of vB 2.3.2, or (from what I've been told and from internal testing) a very stable Beta 6 version of the new vB 3.0 for nothing.

I guess I made it sound quite simple even though it may not be, but I'm glad to hear this is something that may spark interest and hope I can be able to help. :)

h

Posted : 17/10/2003 7:18 pm
(@paulhackett)
Prominent Member Admin

Yes, it does sound simple. But I know it is not.

Do you think leaning to use the new message board would be a problem for users?  I sometimes visit a board at http://www.sitepointforums.com/ which seems pretty standard to me. But getting 2000 users to start working with something new could result in a lot of support emails.

I guess it is not all that expensive to change boards.  Switching over does mean a lot of extra work.  I'll have to think about it and consider when I may have time to do all this.  I may wait to see what a new version of yabb is like. Either way there isn't enough time for an upgrade like this  in the short term.

Guitar Noises Newsletter

Posted : 18/10/2003 4:06 am
(@hockyfan)
Topic starter

I doubt using vBulletin would be such a problem for users. The setup is mostly the same, but there are some slight extras but nothing that I think would confuse anyone on the user-end. Again, coming from me since I've used both and had to adjust to vB and had users adjust (smoothly) as well.

If time is a big issue with you I could possibly help you out. For starters, there is a converter from this version of YaBB to the current version of vBulletin (2.3.2). Let me know if that sparks any interest in you.

h

Posted : 20/10/2003 12:04 am
(@paulhackett)
Prominent Member Admin

Yes, you have sparked my interest.  Time is a big issue for me.  I may contact you for help if we do a switchover.  I doubt it will be before the end of this year.  Thanks though.

Guitar Noises Newsletter

Posted : 20/10/2003 3:22 pm
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

Hi HF;

Can you give us a link to a site that uses that forum engine?

Also, have you checked the forum at WholeNote or ActiveBass - they are pretty amazing in my opinion.

-Laz

Posted : 20/10/2003 4:27 pm
(@hockyfan)
Topic starter

@ Paul:
Sounds good, feel free to e-mail me with any questions or concerns.

@ Laz:
Surprised you haven't seen any vBulletin forums yourself, but Flashkit.com is one of the larger vBulletin forums you may want to take a look at, it is a resource for Flash developers. Most sites don't go so graphic heavy in skinning their vBulletin boards, but if you'd like to see one that does then check out Yaxay.com.

You can also visit vBulletin's site for more information, or visit their Links section for more sites powered by vBulletin.

And I've visited both those sites you listed in the past - excellent resources!

h

Posted : 21/10/2003 12:12 am
(@paulhackett)
Prominent Member Admin

Laz, WholeNote and ActiveBass are pretty awesome.  They are custom made forums and not for sale.  Too bad.

I think we had this conversation before.

Guitar Noises Newsletter

Posted : 22/10/2003 3:12 pm
Page 1 / 2