Clear all

A glossary of guitar jargon?

16 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@isabelle)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Could you experienced players put together a 'glossary' of guitar-related terms for us struggling newbies? I'm sure I'm note (typo too good to be deleted)the only one in this case. I look up a lesson, or I read a topic on the forum that I find extremely interesting and relevant until I come across something I've never seen before and I'm thinking 'whaddahellishetalkingabout'.

I would be helpful to have an Idiot Guide that everyone can contribute to, like a mini guitar-related wiki.

What do you think?

cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

It might be easier to post the words/phrases/techniques you're having trouble understanding

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@isabelle)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Something to refer to would be nice. When I see things like, for example, 'semiquaver patterns'... yes of course I can ask, I can also open up a dictionary or google the term but a list of definitions for frequently used terms would be helpful.

I don't know what the other beginners think - of course if it's just me then the whole thing will be a bit pointless.

ReplyQuote
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

I second the motion.
I'm never reluctant to ask a stupid question (because I'm confident of my stupidity) but why ask if I can look up the answer here in the "Guitar Jargon for Dummies" forum?

Strummin' on thru to the other side,
Your humble (and rightfully so) minstrel, Ken

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

not a bad idea. off the top of my head I cannot think of a word.
of course, it would be easier to answer should a question be posted.
what kind of lingo? parts of the guitar? sheet music questions? musicians' slang?

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@mac-manc-mcmanx)
Estimable Member

Here's one. What are high, lows and mids? Am i right in assuming highs are treble notes , lows are bassy and mids are something in between?

When you wanna rock hard children, lean on F sharp

ReplyQuote
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

Here's another.
What's walking the line?
It sounds kind of kinky to me.

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

ReplyQuote
(@simonsays)
Estimable Member

Here's another.
What's walking the line?
It sounds kind of kinky to me.

A Johnny Cash song :D

Simon

There are too many songs that have an 'F' chord in them.

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

Here's one. What are high, lows and mids? Am i right in assuming highs are treble notes , lows are bassy and mids are something in between?
yes, they refer to frequencies.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Highs, Lows, and Mids??

The is commonly how audible sound is catagorized. Highs are your high frequencies say above 1 kilohertz kHz. Sound moves in waves or cycles, one cycle is a Hertz. So a kilohertz is one thousand cycles per second. Mids is your middle frequencies, this is where the human voice is found and the guitar too. Lows is your bass notes. Most guitar amps have three EQ (equalization) controls (Highs, Mids, and Lows), each covers quite a wide band of frequencies. You can purchase 6, 7, 10 band, or even more EQ pedals that divide the frequencies into smaller increments giving more control over the tones.

I'm sure one term that causes confusion is "pups", this is just a nickname for an electric guitars pickups. Another term is the vibrato bar on many Stratocaster style guitars, I call this a Whammy Bar. :D

It's true that musicians use lots of jargon, sometimes you forget that other people have no idea what we are talking about.

The best thing to do is simply ask when you see a term you do not understand. There is really quite a lot of jargon, and it changes all the time. It might be difficult to document it all.

Wes

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Hi,

Well, they do say "If all else fails, read the instructions". :P (Just kidding. To be honest, I've no idea how you're supposed to find it all, but they do have a heap of useful stuff here if you hunt around..) So you could check the glossary that's already here at GN, and see how it's going:

Guitarnoise Glossary
like a mini guitar-related wiki.

There actually is a Wiki project here too already. I don't know how far it's got, but Wikis are always being added to anyway.

More GN Wiki info here

The tricky part with glossaries is that to be really comprehensive they need to be almost lessons at times. You can't always explain a term quickly if the reader doesn't have the prior knowledge to fully understand the explanation. But most things are here if you are prepared to look around a bit - either in a lesson, a forum thread, or the Wiki.

If not, there are many other glossaries around, and (as ColoradoFenderBender said) Google can find info about just about any term you're unsure of. It also does a good job of searching this site if you want to find references from here. Google sometimes does a better job of searching the site than the built in site search engine. Google the following (including the + and the "" if it's a phrase rather than a single word)

+Guitarnoise +"the term you seek"

Good hunting. :)

Cheers,

Chris

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Hi again,

I've also found the Connexions site to be a good resource for general musical information. Catherine Schmidt-Jones' free theory course is well worth working through. Or you can just look up specific areas.

Music Theory at Connexions

Cheers,

Chris

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Oh, and ....

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TOO... :)

BONNE ANNIVERSAIRE

or is it..

JOYEUX ANNIVERSAIRE :?:

ReplyQuote
(@isabelle)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Oh, and ....

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TOO... :)

BONNE ANNIVERSAIRE

or is it..

JOYEUX ANNIVERSAIRE :?:

Merci Chris :D Aaaaaaah, being 21 again...

Okay. So I can see from your replies that similiar things already exist elsewhere. Fair enough. Like kenrogers2 and others - you now who you are - I'll just keep asking stupid questions when the need arises :mrgreen:

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2