Skip to content
As a newbie, should...

Notifications
Clear all

As a newbie, should I get an acoustic first ?

26 Posts
21 Users
0 Likes
(@hyacinth)
Topic starter  

I am looking to pick up the electric guitar and learn to play. I never learn to play any kind of musical instrutment before.

I read a post from another website which a poster wrote that a beginner should start learning with an acoustic. If you start with an electric, you'll never get the correct fingering down and you will be hitting dead notes you're not aware of.

My question is this: Is the above statement true ?

(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

You can start with either electric or acoustic. If you're really into electric and that's the reason you want to learn, go ahead and begin with the electric. You can learn on either guitar and will eventually want to play both. But for now choose the one that you're most excited about and get started. And, no, the statement you've quoted is not true.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

while i agree with The venerable Lama, i would add that playing acoustic first will tend to make you develop stronger fingers more quickly. it is slightly harder to play cleanly without amplification.
however as he stated correctly, imo what drives you to stick to it and enjoy the experiance is the most important factor.

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@barnabus-rox)
Famed Member

Either one ...Both can be heaps of fun
I find the acoustic heaps of fun learning , I have 2 acoustics and 2 electrics ..
acoustics are good because you can take them anywhere and not need anything else ..
Trev..:)

Here is to you as good as you are
And here is to me as bad as I am
As good as you are and as bad as I am
I'm as good as you are as bad as I am

ReplyQuote
(@wattsiepoops)
Reputable Member

I started on electric, and played only simple stuff for about a year, like everything was power chords or octave chords with a few riffs that were really simple. I have only recently started on the more rhythmic acoustic by buying an electrostic ( My word for electric-acoustic) and i have found it really easy to pick up chords and strumming rhythm, an i strongly believe that the fact i played simple electric for so long before hand helped. Both styles use different techniques, but the ones you learn on one can be carried and modified so you can define your own style.

David

David Watts
Takamine G-Series - £229
Fender STD American Telecaster (Cola Red) - £849
Vox 15watt AMP (Valve pre amp) - £129
Acoustic/Electric Rhythm and Lead (Occasionally) Southport Elim Youth Band
Former Aftershock 24/7 Rhythm Guitarist (Band split)

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

I agree with TL about acoustics helping you build finger strength but if you arent having fun and playing it, then you wont be building finger strength anyway. Whichever is going to keep you excited about playing and practicing.

Jim

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@unimogbert)
Estimable Member

I am looking to pick up the electric guitar and learn to play. I never learn to play any kind of musical instrutment before.

I read a post from another website which a poster wrote that a beginner should start learning with an acoustic. If you start with an electric, you'll never get the correct fingering down and you will be hitting dead notes you're not aware of.

My question is this: Is the above statement true ?

The statement may or may not be true. Does it really matter?

It might be better if you were to pick a guitar based on the kind of music you want to learn to play. Playing what you would like to imitate is the best motivation and will help you get thru those times when it seems like you'll never get the hang of it. (you will)

There are advantages to each. In fact, the unmentioned Classical (nylon string) guitar has some advantages as well.

Unimogbert
(indeterminate, er, intermediate fingerstyle acoustic)

ReplyQuote
(@kroikey)
Reputable Member

I'm a newbie and I bought an electric guitar. Mainly because I didnt mind playing it unplugged for even less noise than an acoustic would make. In fact, when I do plug it in I'm over the moon, and when I put my effects pedal on, I'm even more chuffed :lol:

My way is taking the ends off my fingers, that high E string is like cheesewire. But at least the girlfriend can watch TV while I'm strumming away without amplification.

ReplyQuote
(@spides)
Estimable Member

Do what you gotta do man. If you wanna play in a punk or metal band, Buy an Electric and practice machine gun picking. If your looking to be the next bob dylan, an acoustic is probs the way to go. If you want to get chicks and fight baddies antonio banderas style, try a classical. At the end of the day Just as long as you get something you are proud of and excited about playing, your gonna learn. your at that point a lot of us wish we could go back to. Every day, every new chord voicing and scale you master takes you to the next level of playing. Its gonna be an exciting and amzing couple of years for you no matter what you decide on. Best of luck bro.

Don't sweat it dude, just play!

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

There's no reason why you shouldn't learn on an electric if that's what you want to play.

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@medarrah)
Estimable Member

When I was first learning how to play guitar, I got an acoustic guitar. It killed me that I couldn't get anything right on that thing, because when I played it, it was hard to form the chords, and then they didn't sound good at all because my fingers weren't strong enough... So I sold it and quit for a while. About a year later, I decided that I wanted to play again, and I picked up an electric guitar, and have been fine since then. I find that learning on electric is easier, and you don't have to push down on the strings as hard. Then, I decided that I wanted to try acoustic again, so I got one, and since I already know how to form the chords, I just had to work on pushing down on the strings a little bit harder. I'm doing great with both electric and acoustic now. :D So I don't think that statement is true... not in my opinion anyway.

ReplyQuote
(@clideguitar)
Reputable Member

while i agree with The venerable Lama, i would add that playing acoustic first will tend to make you develop stronger fingers more quickly. it is slightly harder to play cleanly without amplification.

Same here, except, when I started out it was hard (for me) to get a nice clean sound on Electric and finger picking didn't sound good. Then again I haven't played one (electric) in awhile.

BJ

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

They are different instruments. What do you want to play?

ReplyQuote
 Ande
(@ande)
Prominent Member

Get one of each! They both can really rock!

Okay, if you can only get ONE now, go for the one you really want. You can learn on anything, and motivation (the one that best plays the stuff you want to play) is the biggest factor, imo.

Best,
Ande

ReplyQuote
(@hyacinth)
Topic starter  

They are different instruments. What do you want to play?

I want to play rock songs.

Watching funtwo youtube videos inspires me to pick one up.

I want to be a very good guitar player so I am willingly do what it takes to be one. I don't mind getting an acoustic first and an electric later. After reading all the responses, I know now it does not really matter if I choose an electric as my first choice. Since I am a woman which means I don't have the finger strength of you guys, so getting an electric ( planning to get a daisy rock brand) would be easy for me.

Thank you to all who responded to my question.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2