Clear all

Broken Strings; Broken Confidence

16 Posts
13 Users
0 Likes
(@dl0571)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I decided to try to change strings by myself for the first time. I did all my research on how to do it, was a little intimidated but tried anyways. E and A strings went on beautifully. Not a single complication.

Until the D string. The fucker SNAPPED on me. It didn't catch or something, maybe had weak integrity, and just...well, you get the picture. So I go to the shop to have the job finished. All in all, this string change cost me...

2 boxes of Dean Markleys (1 I have no use for now, as its short a D)
$3 for a 1/2 string change
Countless dirty looks from the Tech who thought I was an idiot
1 bruised ego :oops:

Yeah, no Im afraid to even touch my guitar, as I never want to change the strings again.

"How could you possibly be scared of being bad? Once you get past that, it's all beautiful." -Trey Anastasio

(@lord_ariez)
Reputable Member

u obviously just over-tightened it! When putting strings on just throw them in there, and leave them loose.. untill u get your tuner out. Allot of poeple say to stretch the strings by lihtly pulling on them upwards. I don't recommend this, I just tune it up and in a little bit they'll stretch from playin, just tune it again.

Don't be afraid to touch your guitar mechanically, if you never do then you'll never learn how to!

'You and I in a little toy shop, bought a bag of balloons with the money we got"

feel free to talk with me on msn at [email protected]..... no icq anymore

ReplyQuote
(@stormymonday)
Reputable Member

The first time I changed my strings was pretty rough too, though I didn't have to take it into a shop 8) I remember when I decided it was time to try and change them, I bought like three packs of strings in case I screwed up. Sure enough, I snapped 2 or 3 strings. The instructions I had for changing strings was way more complicated and hard to understand than necessary. Once I found this article here on Guitar Noise about it, I used that method and have used it since. It went much smoother. It gets easier each time.

ReplyQuote
(@undercat)
Prominent Member

I've been reading up on some theories about stringing recently, one of the most interesting would be that you should wind a string around by hand first 2-3 times before you bend it and put it through the hole. Apparently common "locking" methods will often break the core on a wound string. Haven't tried it yet, but I plan to on my next change, see if I can feel any different.

And you should only stretch a string down over the pickups, and not very hard.

Do something you love and you'll never work a day in your life...

ReplyQuote
(@lord_ariez)
Reputable Member

one of the most interesting would be that you should wind a string around by hand first 2-3 times before you bend it and put it through the hole

could u elaborate on this please?

'You and I in a little toy shop, bought a bag of balloons with the money we got"

feel free to talk with me on msn at [email protected]..... no icq anymore

ReplyQuote
(@dl0571)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I've been reading up on some theories about stringing recently, one of the most interesting would be that you should wind a string around by hand first 2-3 times before you bend it and put it through the hole. Apparently common "locking" methods will often break the core on a wound string. Haven't tried it yet, but I plan to on my next change, see if I can feel any different.

And you should only stretch a string down over the pickups, and not very hard.

Actually, I noticed that's kind of what the tech did. He put it through the hole, then wrapped it by hand around twice before ever touching the knob. That was odd, but obviously it worked. Though he couldn't tune for poop. I grabbed my tuner when I got home and it was horribly out. I hate that there is only 1 (crappy) shop in the area.

"How could you possibly be scared of being bad? Once you get past that, it's all beautiful." -Trey Anastasio

ReplyQuote
(@mitchell)
Eminent Member

I seriously feel you. I got my first guitar this January (an alverez acoustic) and busted my first string in about 2 weeks.
I goto change them and went threw about 5 D's before i figured out you have to wrap the string around the pin a few times then thread it threw the hole.

Atleast strings are fairly cheap.

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM!!!!!! I had to end up digging through the trash to find the old one! Blasted D strings!!! :evil:

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

dl0, I wouldn't say the strings were out of tune because he couldn't tune. The strings stretched out, it happens right after you string it for a few hours or more depending on how well you stretch them.

I do the wrap around 3 times, and it works great for me. I need to tune maybe once a week.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@undercat)
Prominent Member

one of the most interesting would be that you should wind a string around by hand first 2-3 times before you bend it and put it through the hole

could u elaborate on this please?

Hmm... was going to copy the whole blurb I saw on it earlier, but I can't seem to locate it at the moment. The gist of it was that often players use the "locking" method outlined in the GN article and that switchback can apparently break the core in a round string. Basically the solution I saw was to wrap the string around several times so you wouldn't have to use the switchback so close to the "playing portion" of the string. Supposed benefits are reduced breakage and more consistency through the strings.

Personally, I don't use the locking method anyways, so not too much adjustment necessary, but the big switch will be taking the string around the post before I put the kink in it. I don't imagine there will be much of a difference in sound, but hopefully I'll avoid some slippage.

I'll tell you how it comes out. I'm due for a string change very shortly, as mine are starting to get useless.

Do something you love and you'll never work a day in your life...

ReplyQuote
(@gizzy)
Estimable Member

Funny I guess we all have had problems changing strings at first, My first couple of times I broke strings and poked myself with the B string which of course it started bleeding, now I use needle nose pliers and it does get smoother the more you do it, still don't realy like to change strings but you know when you have to because the sound just goes flat when they are worn.

:)

ReplyQuote
(@deaky)
Eminent Member

*looks in sheepishly* heh, I did the same thing. Replaced my D string, played for a couple of weeks then one day I hear this rotten *TWANG* and instantly realise what has happened. Blast me.

You're my best friend but another one bites the pressure!

ReplyQuote
(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

Believe it or not when I change strings now(After playing for three years) I can get pretty close to in tune just by feeling the tension on the strings.Get over it the more you do it the easier it is. 8) 8) I too use the wrap before threading through the post

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

Same here.. Actually happened to me just a few days ago. Ten years ago I had an electric that I played quite a bit but was never very good. Recently bought an acoustic and wanted to change the strings. Too the big E off and lost my confidense. SO, went scurrying back to the dealer I bought it at and they were nice enough to finish up for me.

But I did watch closely so that next time I can do it myself.

Happens to everyone I am sure (cept them freaks )

Jim

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@metaellihead)
Honorable Member

I remember the first time I changed my strings. I was nervous that I might fark things up, but it went smoothly. It wasn't untill the 3rd change that I had problems. I snaped a high E string. I sort of paniced but just got the old E string and stuck it back on.

After the others settled down you couldn't tell the difference. If it was a wound string it would have probably been an isssue.

-Metaellihead

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2