Dan Denley's Blues Instruction?

18 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@shadowraptor)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Hi All ...

I'm coming up to my first anniversary of learning how to play guitar. I'm loving it, and the help I get here is excellent.

I want to learn how to play 'The Blues'. I ordered the book "Blues You Can Use" from a local music store about 2 months ago and it still hasn't shown up. I am now looking at the package offered by Dan Denley. Does anyone have any experience with Dan's books and DVD's? I hear so many bad things about courses a person can order on-line and I don't want to get stung!

Thanks very much.

Rob

Have a safe and pleasant day.

Rob
Canada

Yamaha FG-730S
Crafter GAE45/N
Beaver Creek BCR8501
Yamaha CG-? (91)
Yamaha CG-171SF
Framus Texan 5/296 12-String
Takamini EG-345C 12-String
Indiana IN-BM5 Mandolin
M-Audio Oxygen 49 Keyboard

(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

Don't know much about Dan.

You should get your $$$ back from the store. You can buy Blues You Can Use from Amazon.com - takes only a week to receive it.

ReplyQuote
(@robbie)
Honorable Member

I do not know anything about Dan Denleys course but highly recommend the "Blues You Can Use". I ordered mine off Amazon.ca and it was here in about a week, I actually ordered 3 of Ganapes books to get shipping savings. And of course you know he has a website at: http://www.bluesyoucanuse.com/index.html where you can get additional help. I am only starting lesson 7 but have learned quite alot already. By the way greetings from outside the perimeter highway (only Manitobans know what that means eh)
Robbie

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

Where did you order BYCU from?
If they haven't got it in for you yet, cancel and either order it online (I got mine from chapters.ca) or go down to Long & McQuade, I saw a couple of copies in stock last week when I was there.

And Hi from another Manitoban :P 8)

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Don't know much about Dan.

You should get your $$$ back from the store. You can buy Blues You Can Use from Amazon.com - takes only a week to receive it.
+1

I received it in two weeks and I'm in Spain!

Probably BYCU is the best instruction book for guitar (not only for blues) so I don't try to follow another book.

ReplyQuote
(@shadowraptor)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Thanks Kent eh ... I'll go over to L&MQ tomorrow.

Rob

Rob
Canada

Yamaha FG-730S
Crafter GAE45/N
Beaver Creek BCR8501
Yamaha CG-? (91)
Yamaha CG-171SF
Indiana IN-BM5 Mandolin

ReplyQuote
(@shadowraptor)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Hi again Kent ...

The only BYCU book I was able to find at Long & Mcquade was the licks book. I bought it and have been practicing the scales until I get the first book (now on order from McNally - they'll have it in 2 weeks).

Rob

Rob
Canada

Yamaha FG-730S
Crafter GAE45/N
Beaver Creek BCR8501
Yamaha CG-? (91)
Yamaha CG-171SF
Indiana IN-BM5 Mandolin

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Rob,

The scales are a good alternative but if you wish you can start now with the first lesson. Use the "search inside" option in Amazon. You will need a week or two for the lesson, so...

ReplyQuote
(@shadowraptor)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

** Check the Edit - I never could tell the difference **

Nuno - thanks much for the encouragement!

That's amazing! I have been doing exactly what the Lesson says (the scales are shown in the BYCU licks book as a reminder) and during the past week I think my LEFT (fretting) hand speed and accuracy has already improved. I am still using the fingers on my RIGHT hand instead of a pick.

Do you folks recommend using a pick to play Blues? It's another skill I could be working on.

Thanks again.

Rob
Canada

Yamaha FG-730S
Crafter GAE45/N
Beaver Creek BCR8501
Yamaha CG-? (91)
Yamaha CG-171SF
Indiana IN-BM5 Mandolin

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Scales are very important to improve accuracy and speed in your left, fretting hand; in a word, to improve your technique. And also to know where the notes are. Try to name each note when you play it, so you will learning the fretboard and the scale.

You can play the blues with your fingers but I recommend you use also a pick, just to learn another techinque. When you know both, you can choose for each song. You can change the tone (and the volume) considerably if you use your fingers, your nails, and different picks (thin/thick and materials).

For using picks, there are several techniques, too. Just start downstroking each note (the easier on if you never used before) and when you feel comfortable, use an alternating approach, alternating down and upstrokes.

Nuno

ReplyQuote
(@bluezoldy)
Reputable Member

I bought all the BYCU books from The Book Depository in the UK.

If you're buying books online check them out first. They are cheaper than Amazon and send by airmail express FREE.

♪♫ Ron ♪♫

http://www.myspace.com/bluemountainsblues

ReplyQuote
(@shadowraptor)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I'll have to learn how to use a pick anyway for my mandolin :-)

Rob
Canada

Yamaha FG-730S
Crafter GAE45/N
Beaver Creek BCR8501
Yamaha CG-? (91)
Yamaha CG-171SF
Indiana IN-BM5 Mandolin

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

Do you folks recommend using a pick to play Blues? It's another skill I could be working on.
Thanks again.
For electric blues stuff, yeah.

Fingerstyle is completely valid, though. Check out Alan Green's lesson as a start.

ReplyQuote
(@jimjam66)
Trusted Member

Not sure if I'm comparing apples with apples here, but Guitar World magazine have a DVD of Alan Alledort showing some of the basic blues techniques of the greats. I found it a great primer. The only online link I could find to it was this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Guitar-World-DVD-New-BLUES-BLUES-ROCK-GUITAR-Clapton_W0QQitemZ250166038316QQihZ015QQcategoryZ280QQcmdZViewItem

But you can pick up copies of it here in the US at places like Borders for $9.99. Highly recommended if you can get it.

David

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

Not sure if I'm comparing apples with apples here, but Guitar World magazine have a DVD of Alan Alledort showing some of the basic blues techniques of the greats. I found it a great primer. The only online link I could find to it was this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Guitar-World-DVD-New-BLUES-BLUES-ROCK-GUITAR-Clapton_W0QQitemZ250166038316QQihZ015QQcategoryZ280QQcmdZViewItem

But you can pick up copies of it here in the US at places like Borders for $9.99. Highly recommended if you can get it.

David
Local newsagents and book stores have it as well.
I picked mine up last week at the Coles in City Place mall in Winnipeg.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2