Does this happen to you

16 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
(@trevor)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Hey other beginners

I am getting so frustrated now days , I go to my lessons and play with wonderful guitarist { that didn't sound too good hey }

I play guitar with this guy any way ...

We have a great time I 'm playing some old country songs a little CCR and 2 eagles songs hey this is fantastic ..

I get home excited I'm ready to for more ..

I pick up my guitar and nothing I can't get a tune , my strumming is crap I can not for the life of me do what I did 30 minutes earlier with Dave { my teacher }

Just to prove my point over Christmas Dave came over for a few drinks , well guitarists being guitarists we ended up playing a few songs , and my wife thought it was great that I could actually play songs as she has only ever heard me practice and hear my originals ..

Dave goes home next day wife is bragging to her mother , mother in law asks if I would play Kiss an Angel for her as I played it the night before with Dave ..

I know the chords , I know how it goes but with out Dave I am totally useless ..

Is this just happening to me ?

Or are there other beginners who have this same fate ?

I am actually hopeing others will say" hey Trev this aint just you mate it happens to me as well "

Because I think I might be going looney ..

Trevor

.........double space ..........

I am aso known as Barnabus Rock ...Hilch ....ummmm yeah thats it

(@chris-c)
Famed Member

I'm sure we can all relate to that feeling, mate. :D

I have a theory that it's to doing with the timing, strum pattern and general rhythm of songs. We spend so much time concentrating on the chords - writing them out even - that the right hand stuff gets overlooked.

You rarely see a strumming pattern written out with a song, and I've certainly never written anything down on any of my songs sheets. When it's 'fresh in the ear' our short term memory just picks up the pattern and follows it. But the next day, on our own, it's gone again... :cry:

It's happened to me many times. But now I know it happens, so I try and find some way of fixing it in my head. There are of course notes that you can make - DUDU D D, or whatever, for strums. 3/4 4/4 etc for timing, but I tend to vary the strums quite a bit anyway, so that doesn't always help. I even took a tape recorder along to one teacher, so that I could play it back the next day and help recall what the heck it was supposed to sound like!! :oops: I'm better at it now, but it used to be a big issue.

Cheers,

Chris

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

For me its the other way around. By myself I am good, with others I struggle to stay on beat.

When playing by myself I strum what feels right to me and me alone. I don't have to conform to the most famous recording of a song. Sometimes if someone steps in the room I might lock up in suprise trying to get the records pattern so they would recognize chord changes as actually being part of a song

ReplyQuote
(@frank2121)
Reputable Member

I think a lot of good players over look the fact when they say play it how it feels; we don't understand how you can do that, It's a bit more complicated to us beginners.
So we are sitting there saying what do they mean by that, what im saying I guess if you don't have it in yea it's easier to forget

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

It helps to have the song. You can get it cheap on iTunes or you'll have to buy the CD. The reason you can't play it sounds like it's becuase you can't remember it, not because you can't physically play it.

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

I think everyone has that, I certainly do :)

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I always have problems with strumming patterns, mainly because I don't see them the same as other people....DDuD? I know what it means, but I don't tend to strum rhythmically -- or robotically, all at the same speed....I might play that particular pattern with four downstrokes, and keep my hand still in between strokes....

But that doesn't really help does it....

I guess if you're playing and singing along with another guitarist, there isn't as much pressure on you to play the guitar well, and you can concentrate more on the singing....listeners tend to focus on the best part of a song anyway...

So if you're playing on your own, you've got to do both parts at once, and it's harder to get them both right - and here comes that p-word again, only practise is going to help....

When I'm learning a new song, it's the guitar part I'll learn first - and when I've got it down to my satisfaction, then - and only then - will I attempt to sing along with it.....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@embrace_the_darkness)
Honorable Member

hey Trev this aint just you mate it happens to me as well :)

Seriously though, perhaps it's not your playing technique that's the problem, maybe it's confidence?

I can see from your post that you obviously have a great respect for your teacher, and when you play together I bet you that respect induces confidence abut your playing, and therefore you play well, because you are confident and having fun. So try and translate that feeling into playing when you are alone, bring out the confidence you have in yourself.

Never underestimate the power of confidence!

ETD - Formerly "10141748 - Reincarnate"

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

I just play it how it feels ............ :lol: .......................... Sorry :oops:

Hang in there it will come and yes, get a recording of it. When I'm learning a new song, I get a copy of it and listen to it in my truck while driving to work, the store or running errands. You are not alone, everyone has to go through the same growing pains. One day you will get out your guitar and it will be there.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

I always have problems with strumming patterns, mainly because I don't see them the same as other people....DDuD? I know what it means, but I don't tend to strum rhythmically -- or robotically, all at the same speed....I might play that particular pattern with four downstrokes, and keep my hand still in between strokes....
That's probably going to be a big hinderance to getting an even rhythm. It was a big hurdle for me, and I'm just helping (kicking more like!) a friend of mine over the same hurdle. The best advice I can give is to strum just a plain old DUDUDUDU for a good while, getting it as even as possible. Next move on to emphasising notes, so it's 'DuduDudu'. The next trick is to train keeping the movement of the strumming hand going even when you're not hitting the notes. The thing that worked for me was to just move my hand as if I was playing DUDUDUDU but only hitting one single note per bar. Doing that along with a metronome works really quickly :)

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

although i've technically been playing at the guitar for over 30 years i still think of myself as a beginner/intermediate.
i look at lessons by David, or some of the many tabs with stumming patterns that the generous members here have provided, and i cannot usually get the strumming at all for quite a long time.

usually i'll lose patience learning it that way and learn the chord pattern, maybe listen to the song once or twice, and then just try and mimic what i thought i heard.
that's what i think they mean when they say "feel" it.

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@denny)
Reputable Member

Hi Trevor. I can really relate to you. It started in high school. I was 1st. chair trumpet and had solos to play. I told the band director that I'd play them but I wouldn't stand up. Sort of an ego maniac with an inferiority complex. With the guitar, as long as I was playing with other people everything was just fine. Then some wise guy would say "take it Denny", and it was as if I had never seem a guitar before. All I can say is that, in time, that passes(somewhat). Just keep at it and have fun.

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

The cool thing about chord progressions is that noone remembers them. So if people ask a song and you know the chords just play them with whatever strummingpattern you feel like. Just make sure the vocals and chord changes match up and all is well.

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

That's probably going to be a big hinderance to getting an even rhythm. It was a big hurdle for me, and I'm just helping (kicking more like!) a friend of mine over the same hurdle. The best advice I can give is to strum just a plain old DUDUDUDU for a good while, getting it as even as possible. Next move on to emphasising notes, so it's 'DuduDudu'. The next trick is to train keeping the movement of the strumming hand going even when you're not hitting the notes. The thing that worked for me was to just move my hand as if I was playing DUDUDUDU but only hitting one single note per bar. Doing that along with a metronome works really quickly :)

Actually, it's not a hindrance at all - I know what I'm doing, even if it'd take anyone else a while to work out.....

I play by FEEL, not by numbers.....I know, I know, I should learn to read music then I'd be able to play anything....but we'll save that for another thread - and to be honest, I don't really care if I sound a bit raggedy or a bit raw....even when I learn a song from tab, I'll still play it MY way.....

I think I've got a fairly original slant on guitar, the only problem I have is when recording - it's a bugger trying to put one of my strumming patterns to a new song and sing at the same time - kind of like scratching your head and rubbing your belly at the same time.....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@trevor)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Thanks everyone I don't feel so bad now ...

It is very frustrating because I know I can play these darn songs ..Probably not as well as others but I am only learning the guitar for me ..I know I will never be a star or even play at the local hotel { pub } / { drinking hole } / { bar }

When I am by myseld every song goes D/U/DU/D/U/D NO darn change

.........double space ..........

I am aso known as Barnabus Rock ...Hilch ....ummmm yeah thats it

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2