Electric vs Acoustic

18 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
(@incognito167)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Hello All,

A quick intro, i'm Martin a 22yr old med student from the UK. Decided 2wks ago that i wanted to learn the guitar. Played viola for 5yrs when i was in high school, so i have some musical theory, but i'm a little rusty!

Anyway, i haven't got a clue what guitar to buy, but we'll deal with that in a bit.

I have been doing my reading, and from just wanting to play my favourite songs, i've decided to take some lessons and maybe even take musical grade exams (i'm looking at the RGT exams, i don't think i'm allowed to put in web adresses, but type "RGT guitar tutors" into google and it's the first hit - let me know what you think of it's syallabus).

I want to play electric, because i'm quite into rock but also blues and jazz, but would also like to play acoustic for my "acoustic sessions!" (yeah, yeah i know i'm getting a little ahead of myself, but a man's got to have ambitions!)

Are guitar skills transferable from electric to acoustic?

Also any recommendation on what equipment to get...i was looking at one of the Fender Squier packs from Argos (UK superstore). Any thoughts?

So basically i would like your thoughts on...
RGT syllabus
Whether electric guitar skills re transferable to acoustic
And whether the Squier pack is any good?

Thanks for reading.
Mart.

(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Welcome, and by the way you can post any links you want.

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Well, the basics of accoustic and electric are the same, but there are some obvious differences. The advantages of starting with either:

accoustic:
-Tougher to play, build up strength and callouses faster
-No effects to hide behind, so you'll be forced to learn proper technique
-Easy to carry around to a friends place

electric:
-will have you play the music you like faster (rock)
-easier to play, so less pain and less frustration

Both are proper ways to start, I'd go with the one you'll see yourself using most often later.

ReplyQuote
(@goodvichunting)
Reputable Member

Also, acoustic is typically cheaper.

Latest addition: Cover of "Don't Panic" by Coldplay
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=502670

ReplyQuote
(@josephlefty)
Reputable Member

I practice and want to play mostly acoustic but I like the electric too to break things up and it used to give my fingers a much needed break in the very beginning.

I started with both, then sold off my electric from non-use for a while, then just picked up another electric.

Why not try both if it won't break the bank? You can buy a dirt cheap electric and it won't matter much but you would probably want to spend a few bucks on a decent acoustic. I have had a few guitars over the last couple years and the low end acoustics can be a problem. I just bought another one of them and it is a brand name and it is a problem.

Welcome aboard! :D

If it was easy it wouldn't be worth doing.

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

Also, acoustic is typically cheaper.

Not true! I tend to spend more on a acoustic because it is extremly harder to build(comparing to a strat) because you have to put in braces when you build an acoustic, and the bridge is harder to install than a regular guitar with a stopbar or a strat tremelo.

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

Also, acoustic is typically cheaper.Not true! I tend to spend more on a acoustic because it is extremly harder to build(comparing to a strat) because you have to put in braces when you build an acoustic, and the bridge is harder to install than a regular guitar with a stopbar or a strat tremelo.
I think he might have meant the acoustic because you would also have to buy an amp, cables and effects if desired for an electric.

Don't get me wrong though, I know acoustics' can go for a pretty penny but, I think Vic was talking about the “beginner's” stand point of what might be the cheapest.

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

Incognito,

Welcome to guitarnoise :)

Electric Skills are transferable yes. It may take a bit of getting used to. But you can switch back and forth. The fender squires are good beginner packs, I'd recomend it, but make sure you ask for a "set up" while your there. (They'll adjust the string height -most players prefer a low string height- and some other things)

Make sure you get whatever kind of guitar you really want to play. If most of the music you like is acoustic, get an acoustic. If its electric, get an electric.

However: With an electric, don't automatically think distorted sounds. Electrics can play as clean as acoustics, there are tonal differences. I play several acoustic songs on my electric, and while I can tell the difference, it isn't major.

You get an acoustic, good luck getting a distorted sound ;)

Taso

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@darkside23)
Eminent Member

Argos would not do a 'set-up' for you.. and you wont see the guitar until you have handed over your money... you're better off going into a proper music shop and seeing what starter packs they have you can then hold the guitars and see what feels right for you.. also the staff in a music shop usally know what they are talking about (depends on the shop) where as Agros is full of people that dont care what you're buying they are just waiting for 'home time'...

i started with an accoustic that was brought for me as a gift.. i rarely played it.. but then one day i picked it up and started to learn some basic chords.. but in my mind i could see myself playing electric so i went out and brought one of them.. i still use the accoustic now and again... but i've learnt so much more on the electric because it's what i saw myself playing..

beware the Power of the Stratocaster, for once you start down the Fender Path, forever will it dominate your destiny

ReplyQuote
(@incognito167)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for your help guys.

I'm going to buy an electric, but one of my friends has a classical guitar that he doesn't use any more, so he said i could have that. So that way i seem to have the best of both worlds and practise on both.

How much do you reckon i should spend? Squier packs are going for around £250 ($375). Is this just for the fender name, or can i get a better setup for that price?

Cheers.
Mart.

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Stay away from those packs, from all brands. Really.

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

The starting packs are actually pretty good Arjen, for starters.
How much do you reckon i should spend? Squier packs are going for around £250 ($375). Is this just for the fender name, or can i get a better setup for that price?

The cost in this case doesn't have much to do with the fender name. Its fender squire, not just fender, theres a big difference. I'd see if you can bargain your way down from 375 a bit, that seems kind of high. I believe a month ago they were only 300 or so. But either way, as long as you get it set up, you'll have a playable instrument for yourself. You won't notice its small problems until you become more advanced, and when the time comes you'll know what kind of sound you really want.

Squire's are pretty trustworthy.

I don't know about Argos, I've never even heard of it. Guitar center does a set up I believe with guitar purchases. (I've never bought a guitar from them, but I believe that is there policy) And, if you aren't happy with it, you can return it wthin 45 days. So thats a good bet for you.

*Edit
P.S. Bring an experienced friend with you. May or may not be needed, can't hurt.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@darkside23)
Eminent Member

I don't know about Argos, I've never even heard of it. Guitar center does a set up I believe with guitar purchases. (I've never bought a guitar from them, but I believe that is there policy) And, if you aren't happy with it, you can return it wthin 45 days. So thats a good bet for you.

I dont think we get Guitar centers over here (UK) there are plenty of good guitar/music shop where you can get the starter packs from though and they will do a set-up if you ask..

Argos is a high street retailer, they sell everything from watches to toys, and flat pack furniture to pots and pans... not the best place to buy a guitar from IMO...

At this very moment the squire packs are selling at £199.99 at argos.. you can also get them from Toysrus (just as bad!!!) for £149.99.. but you wont get the support and set-up from these shops...

according to the fender/squire price list
http://fender.demonweb.co.uk/documents/redlineB_W.pdf
the Squire Frontman packs are £199.99 so you should be able to get one from a good guitar shop for this price.. you may have to pay for the set-up but IMHO the extra cost is worth ther peace of mind, and you can actually play it/hold it before you buy.. (something you can't do in argos or toysrus)

beware the Power of the Stratocaster, for once you start down the Fender Path, forever will it dominate your destiny

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

The starting packs are actually pretty good Arjen, for starters.

To each his own ofcourse, but I don't really give a crap whether it's for beginners or not. I could get much better stuff for the money they ask, beginner or not. Those squier amps are total absolute crap, and the affinity (or even bullet!) guitars are just barely decent. The picks and about-to-fall-apart cable wont' make it worth the absurd price of $375.

Heck, a Dean Evo XM, Behringer GM108, Stagg basic cable, a few picks and a boss tuner will be about half the price and twice as good. Being a beginner is no excuse for allowing yourself to be ripped off. As for a proper price to pay: recommended retail price multiplied by 0.9. Haggle and go for 0.8 or even .75 if you're ambitious.

ReplyQuote
(@darkside23)
Eminent Member

You get a Fender Frontman Amp with the Squire Packs from Agros..

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2