Clear all

Esteban

24 Posts
13 Users
0 Likes
(@logan5)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Okay ... saw this guy selling guitars late one night ... is he for real? Never heard of this guy before and his guitars look like cheap knock offs. I wonder how many suckers he's made money off of.

Then again ... many men were made rich on the backs of suckers.

Logan5

There are 10 types of people in the world ... those who know binary ... and those who don't.

(@david-m1)
Estimable Member

Im sure Zoro, has made a small mint selling his guitars, otherwise we wouldnt continue to see his infomercials....

You would be hard pressed to find a postive review by anyone who has actually ordered one, not saying some arent pleased but I think most agree a person would do much better buying a cheapo laminated no name brand from a local guitar shop...

I have found the infomercial amussing, the hat and sunglasses are too much, if he would just wear a black cape.. :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Good old Esteban has been the subject of a couple of threads on GN. The concensus is that what he sells is garbage - go to Harmony Central and read the reviews - especially the one about the bird house. :lol:

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

I make it short: Esteban is a conartist. :lol:

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@rollnrock89)
Reputable Member

My friends an idiot....he bought one without talking to me first. Junk. The preamp broke in a few days, does not sound good unplugged or plugged in. The over drive on the amp was horrible. STAY AWAY!!!!!

The first time I heard a Beatles song was "Let It Be." Some little kid was singing along with it: "Let it pee, let it pee" and pretending he was taking a leak. Hey, that's what happened, OK?-some guy

ReplyQuote
 sirN
(@sirn)
Reputable Member

Of course, you'll eventually run into someone that will claim they are great guitars for the money. DON'T BELIEVE IT. They are JUNK and anyone that says different either doesn't own one or is lying.

Ok, let's see who will come along and claim that I'm wrong.

check out my website for good recording/playing info

ReplyQuote
(@jonnyt)
Reputable Member

I love to hear him play his guitar... but do you really think that is the same guitar that he is going to sell you for that little of money?

Some things just shouldn't be bought without a test drive... cars, shoes, eye glasses, guitars, etc., etc.

E doesn't = MC2, E = Fb

Music "Theory"? "It's not just a theory, it's the way it is!"

Jonny T.

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

I will say I have never played one so I can't pass judgement.

I would think they are worth just about every penny you pay for them.

It's unfair to think that a guitar amp, bag, DVD, book combination would be of the highest quality for $179.

It's also unfair for the seller to represent it as something it isn't.

I have yet to play a guitar that retailed for under $150 that I thought was worth being anything more than firewood.

But what are you expecting for that price?

I think you get what you pay for. I think that holds true in Esteban's case too.

He isn't a rip off. He isn't a con artist. He's a pitch man. He's a marketing gimmick.

Shame on you if you think you are getting a Martin and a Marshall for $179.

I put him in the same category as any other infomercial. If you think the Ab-cruncher 2000 is going to give you a six pack without pain or effort, you are going to be sorely disappointed. If you think that the Esteban guitar pack is going to make you special without the pain or effort, you will be too.

I'm not advocating buying this guitar. But I don't think you should buy any other cheap guitar either. The Fender packs, Ibanez, whatever packages for starters try to sell to people's dreams too. Take a look at the packaging. They just don't have a HSN weirdo pitchman.

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

It's extremely rare to see a good guitar for a little money, especially if it's being mass-marketed for 'value'. It's a lot more common to see a poor guitar for a lot of money.

I played an early 40s Gibson L-5 last week that a guy was looking to sell. This particular one hadn't aged very well - as a musical instrument, it's comparable to guitars around 1/10th his asking price.

But at least the Gibson has a resale angle - it's essentially an antique, aside from any musical value. A piece of music history.

For some reason I can't find a website for the Estaban Collectors Club.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

For some reason I can't find a website for the Estaban Collectors Club.

It's in the yellow pages under "Waste Disposal" :lol:

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Funny, the Ab-cruncher's fan website is under the heading "Waist Disposal"

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

I am sorry but I do have to somewhat dissagree with you Nick.
Only because of the fact that Estaban is marketing to a certain group of people. ie. people that know absolutely nothing about guitars.
In this vane he is making these people believe they are getting a quality intrument when in fact he is selling Junk.
There are other guitars at or near that price range that, although still not very good, are much better than what Estaban is peddling.
On the other side of the coin, and you are right on about this Nick, there is all kinds of junk being sold and it is a buyer be ware society we live in.

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Ah-ha, but so is Fender with their Squire line, Ibanez, Yamaha and Washburn.

Nowhere on the Fender packaging does it say "Warning, this guitar is a piece of crap"

It probably shows some heavy metal headbanger with a stack of Marshalls in front of an adoring crowd. Now you and I know that the pro guitarist isn't playing a squire. Isn't that the same?

BTW, I am not the font of all guitar knowledge, so go ahead and disagree with me wholeheartedly. :wink:

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Yes true but the models you are refering to are at least playable.
You have to know the extent of garbage we are talking about.
A friend of mine had an Estaban acoustic.
The fingerboard is not even made out of wood. It appears to be something similar to cardboard. The frets are rough and loose, some have even fallen off and had to be glued back on. It buzzes and rattles something terrible.
For comparrison I bought an acoustic from the local pawn shop for $40 they were brand new in the box. couldn't find a brand name on it anywhere. But it played good and even sounded good.
PS: I do feel guilty about dissagreeing with you since I am wrong myself so often.

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

^Aha! You are wrong! Cardboard has wood in it! :lol:

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2