Clear all

f major

16 Posts
15 Users
0 Likes
(@deanobeano)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

been trying to play the f chord but finding it difficult to get notes out of the 1st and 2nd strings because u are meant to use your first finger to hold both these strings down. any tips ?

(@pappajohn)
Honorable Member

Personally, I find playing the F as a barre chord much easier.

-------------
1 1 1 1 1 1
| | | 2 | |
| 3 4 | | |

-- John

"Hip woman walking on a moving floor, tripping on the escalator.
There's a man in the line and she's blowin' his mind, thinking that he's already made her."

'Coming into Los Angeles' - Arlo Guthrie

ReplyQuote
(@goodvichunting)
Reputable Member

ditto

Latest addition: Cover of "Don't Panic" by Coldplay
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=502670

ReplyQuote
(@geetar66)
Estimable Member

Yep, I learned the full barre F the first time...seems easier to me as well

Meet me tonight in Atlantic City

ReplyQuote
(@jimscafe)
Estimable Member

I agree also with the full barre. I use F quite a bit in strumming now but still can't play the shortened version well.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Keep working on it. Play the notes one at a time and move your fingers around slightly until they all ring clearly. Once you have got that down then try switching between F and C chords.

ReplyQuote
(@thectrain)
Estimable Member

I agree with learning the full barre. I can play both equally as well but I usually use the full barre so I have the option of playing the bass note.

ReplyQuote
(@tim_madsen)
Prominent Member

Try rolling your fingers over a little toward the nut so your index finger is at an angle.

Tim Madsen
Nobody cares how much you know,
until they know how much you care.

"What you keep to yourself you lose, what you give away you keep forever." -Axel Munthe

ReplyQuote
(@davenporter)

on my 12 string,

i learned with the xx3211 version first, it was really really easy for me.

i'm just starting with barre chords and 133211 way is probably the easiest barre chord there is :)

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Practice the shape some up the neck as well. If you play that partial f shape at the fifth fret, for example, it's an "A", at the third fret, a "G". It's a little easier at those frets and as you get better at fretting the G and A, you'll find it easier to slide the shape up to the nut for the F. (And yes, use your index finger to fret strings one and two).

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@laoch)
Estimable Member

I would say it's like many things on the guitar in that it takes a lot of practice/repetition to get it right. I don't think the full barre is easier on an acoustic but your results may vary. I'd suggest trying the "mini-barre" F a little each day until you get it to sound clearly. Keep practicing and you will eventually get it.
Good luck!

"The details of my life are quite inconsequential." - Dr. Evil

ReplyQuote
(@logan5)
Trusted Member

I hear people giving advice to use the barre chord instead of the "traditional" fingering and my question is this .... when DO you know which one to use ... or is it really up to you? I mean I could do a E type barre for A or I can do open A ... but if I'm reading a music sheet ... how would I know which one to use?

Thanks for letting me go off topic for a bit
Logan5

There are 10 types of people in the world ... those who know binary ... and those who don't.

ReplyQuote
(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

I hear people giving advice to use the barre chord instead of the "traditional" fingering and my question is this .... when DO you know which one to use ... or is it really up to you? I mean I could do a E type barre for A or I can do open A ... but if I'm reading a music sheet ... how would I know which one to use?

Thanks for letting me go off topic for a bit
Logan5

As you get better you'll kind of have an idea of which shape chord you want to do to get the sound YOU want until then use the one your most comfortable with.

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

on my 12 string,

i learned with the xx3211 version first, it was really really easy for me.

i'm just starting with barre chords and 133211 way is probably the easiest barre chord there is :)

ditto, and learning it the "hard" way will make it easier to do a lot of the other open chordings from that position

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@thectrain)
Estimable Member

No one mentioned that if you learn the full barre, you can just not play the 5th and 6th string and it is the same as the half barre. But by leanring the full bar you have the option of the bass note when you want it.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2