Notifications
Clear all

I Break a lot of Picks!

16 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
(@jimmyjazz)
Topic starter  

I've been playing for a few months now, enjoying it tremendously. I prefer thin picks, but I'm really breaking them like crazy, cracking one side about 1/4 of the way up from the tip. I've been using Fender Premium Celluloid. It's not the end of the world, but I suspect one's not supposed to blow through them as quickly as I am, and think it may be indicative of doing something wrong. Any thoughts? Thanks.

(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Try holding 'em closer to the tip, and not so tightly.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Why not try a different brand? I use Dunlop Nylon .60mm picks, and they are thin, but don't break. Jim Dunlop USA Nylon

I've also heard some good things about the Jim Dunlop Ultex pics, but haven't had a chance to try them out yet. They come in .60mm also, and claim to be "indestructible". Ultex Pics

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@manda)
Eminent Member

I remember the one thing that helped me with this - concentrate on keeping your picking hand relaxed. I switched to thick, stiff picks too though. Ya never know, it could really help

"These pretzels are makin' me thirsty."

ReplyQuote
(@nexion)
Honorable Member

Try holding the pick like this:

So that you are using the rounded edge instead of the pointed edge.

"That’s what takes place when a song is written: You see something that isn’t there. Then you use your instrument to find it."
- John Frusciante

ReplyQuote
(@jimmyjazz)
Topic starter  

Thank you all & Happy New Year. I'm sure this all will come in handy!

ReplyQuote
(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

I used to use a really thin pick, then I moved up to a slightly thicker (but not too much) pick.

I also hold my pick as Nexion showed, which slowed down the breaking of picks. 8)

ReplyQuote
(@denny)
Reputable Member

JimmyJazz,
The suggestion to relax your grip on the pick is right on. When we grip it too tightly, the attack angle changes and the force is on the leading edge of the pick. I also use Fender light picks. I just prefer the sound it makes on the strings. When I first started playing I spent about a third of the time holding the guitar upside down and trying to shake the pick out of the sound hole. That was an easy way for me to figure out that I was holding the pick to lightly. The good news; picks are the cheapest thing about the guitar.

ReplyQuote
(@nexion)
Honorable Member

...The good news; picks are the cheapest thing about the guitar.

If you're REALLY tight on cash you could always cut a pick out of old credit cards and the like.

"That’s what takes place when a song is written: You see something that isn’t there. Then you use your instrument to find it."
- John Frusciante

ReplyQuote
(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

Try holding the pick like this:

So that you are using the rounded edge instead of the pointed edge.

Thought I was the only freak that used that part of the pick! I use Ultex exclusively.

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
(@clideguitar)
Reputable Member

Same thing here! I went through a dozen in a week. I like the thin picks because:
1) Sound better (unless I'm flatpicking)
2) I can strum really fast

I don't think I'm gripping it to tight, I don't like turning it and using the other end.

This could be normal.

Bob Jessie

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

I use the Fender Mediums and what happens to mine is the rounded tip gets pointed. It's like I'm wearing away the sides of the tip. :roll:

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Switch to nickel silver fingerpicks. They last a long time.

And they make you look like Freddie Kruger Lite.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

I've noticed that guitarists go through a progression in choosing picks - and I don't know any pro who hasn't taken exactly this progression:

1. We start with medium picks because they're a) available everywhere and b) we don't know any better.

2. We switch to thin picks because we want to play faster. Like clideguitar said, you can strum really fast.... then we discover that thin picks break pretty easily. Heck, sometimes you can even make 'em shatter!

3. At that point we start re-thinking the thin pick thing. And we start to question the assertion that we sound better - a little experimentation tells us (and our developing ear) that we don't; it sounds kind of scratchy and thin when you play with a thin pick. We end up playing with heavy picks.

I don't know a single pro who doesn't use heavy picks.

Thin pick = fast is actually a fallacy; the flexibility of the pick hides the flaws in your technique. But at that stage of the game, you don't have the control to avoid digging too deep with the pick. When you get the control to play fast without digging deep, you find a heavy pick doesn't slow you down at all, and it gives you a much better tone.

When I was in the "thin picks let me play fast" stage, if I didn't have a pick at hand, I'd use a matchbook cover. One matchbook will get you through one or two tunes before it shreds. Now I'll use a quarter - it lasts all night :)

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@nexion)
Honorable Member

That's funny, I have always used medium on electric and thick on acoustic. I have never bought a thin pick and never will - I played a friends and absolutely hated it.

- John Frusciante

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2